Author Topic: iPhone Wherigo!  (Read 6050 times)

Tanglebones

iPhone Wherigo!
« on: October 08, 2010, 20:15:37 »
Yipee!  Finally.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wherpigo/id385035547?mt

I haven't tested a full cartridge yet, but I've loaded Inspector Clue-seau and Planetary Alignment and they both work fine, at least as far as I'm able to test them.  I'm back to being excited by Wherigo again - time to finish off that third one I've been working on, methinks.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
Re: iPhone Wherigo!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 21:56:41 »
Sweet!  NO more walking around with my laptop!  8)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 22:19:57 »
I'm looking forward to more Wherigo caches in the area.
I've only found ten of them so for, not bad when you consider I own a MAP60Cx....

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

FoxEcho

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 07:39:33 »
Sweet!  NO more walking around with my laptop!  8)
I didn't know a laptop could do the work,
how do I go about it with my new little netbook?

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 08:35:41 »
What you need is PocketPC emulation software.   Essentially you run the PocketPC emulator and run the WhereIGo cartridge inside it.  With your GPS device connected via USB cable to feed it real time location information, you're set.  I have my netbook doing exactly that and it worked great for the few cartridges I did.   Here is a Groundspeak forum thread that someone wrote showing what they did: http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=187391

3-Bearss

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 22:38:24 »
Hmm. Well I just finished the last local Wherigo today  :-\
A question - which version of the cartridge is used for this app?

Tanglebones

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 05:23:59 »
The Pocket PC version is used.  I just gave it a small try yesterday and it appeared to work fine, though the units are imperial rather than metric (so far). 

- Stu

Starkiller

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 14:45:40 »
Now, most iphone apps are itouch compatible, which does not have a GPS. Does that mean this app would be useless on the itouch since it depends on being location aware?

lacwitt

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 19:38:27 »
Now, most iphone apps are itouch compatible, which does not have a GPS. Does that mean this app would be useless on the itouch since it depends on being location aware?
I think the answer is yes.  I tried a little today, and couldn't get past a stage because it didn't know where I was.

Tanglebones

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 20:28:32 »
I think the answer is yes.  I tried a little today, and couldn't get past a stage because it didn't know where I was.

Which one did you try?

3-Bearss

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 00:14:14 »
We ran the Wherigo in Middleton Nova Scotia today with Falach-fead, he used my Oregon 300 while I used the iPhone PiGo App.
The Oregon 300 zero'd in faster every time but both worked very well all the way to the final of this 9 step setup. Great little App for the iPhone, I would definately recommend it!  8)

lacwitt

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 00:39:04 »

Which one did you try?

I never saw this post.  I valpin's and I tried the astronomy one (sorry the name escapes me right now)  It would progress if I tried at home, with wifi but when I tried out in the field, (I wasn't looking for the cache, just fooling around one day) I couldn't advance with the program because it couldn't get a location. (I was using an itouch)

mrcanoehead224

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 00:53:49 »
I love to bump an old thread!

I'm sure some of you are aware now that Groundspeak bought the PiGo app and it's now the official WheriGo app. I have an iPod Touch with a Dual XGPS251 (no mapping app) which works pretty good. There are better accessories out there now too, just search iPod Touch GPS receiver.

I had the chance to put it through the paces last summer for traditional caching, using it instead of my GPSr. I also tried out a WheriGo at the Three Hills Best of the Bad mega. Once I got past the user errors, I found it quite useful and was able to run through the cartridge a couple of times as I was caching with different groups throughout the day. At one point, a friend was using it on his iPhone as well. We found that it saves frequently and we never had to backtrack like our friend with the Oregon did at one point.

Someone else said it earlier, this is good enough IMO to be excited about WheriGos again. Looking forward to trying out a couple in Ottawa in May.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 09:38:13 »
I concur with Mrcanoehead224, the Wherigo app is 'da bomb'!

Unlike the constant crashes and redo's of the Oregon and Colorado units the iPhone app just works, no problems!

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

junglehair

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 09:38:07 »
Ooh, I'll have to download the Whereigo App.  I would love to see someone come up with a Whereigo with a Star Wars theme for GAG17.  (hint, hint!)