Author Topic: A new "wherigo" item?  (Read 3551 times)

A new "wherigo" item?
« on: October 15, 2010, 13:29:08 »
http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2010/10/garmin-chirp-brings-geocachers-even-more-creativity-connectivity.html

I'm not sure anyone would spend 100$ to hide 4 waypoints in the woods, but that can open new grounds for multis. Between a tag and that, I guess you can put more info in the CHIRP. But then, wherigos are virtual and free.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Re: A new "wherigo" item?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 14:00:09 »
Wow! Always something new coming down the pipe!

My first thought was "A terrain 5 multicache! You need a specific GPS unit to find it!", but we already have Wherigo caches that exclude the majority of geocachers who haven't bought the latest and greatest from GARMIN. I wouldn't spend $25 for a redirect either, but it is a novel idea....

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 14:11:48 »
Marketing. We can't deny Garmin is good at that.

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 20:42:42 »
Well, it looks like Garmin didn't talk to Groundspeak. Based on what is said in this blog, caches exclusively using this device are not being published. The reviewers are asking for an optional way of finding the cache for users who don't own the newest Garmin GPSrs.

Funny how Wherigo was accepted and not this new thing.

narcissa

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 23:06:27 »
Wherigo was developed in cooperation with Groundspeak. I have no idea why Groundspeak wouldn't be on board with this new thing. Maybe it's because Wherigo never really took off.

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 23:11:36 »
Possible. But the reason Wherigo didn't take off is probably because of the rebarbative interface (not everyone is a programmer).

The chirp seems so easy to use. Time will tell.

ocm_ott

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 14:17:55 »
Well, it looks like Garmin didn't talk to Groundspeak. Based on what is said in this blog, caches exclusively using this device are not being published. The reviewers are asking for an optional way of finding the cache for users who don't own the newest Garmin GPSrs.

Funny how Wherigo was accepted and not this new thing.

The thing about Wherigo was that there was nothing that precluded other manufacturers from supporting Wherigo if they so chose. The Chirp is completely Garmin proprietary, and Groundspeak has commercial dealings with Magellan, Lowrance, Delorme etc that might turn sour if they seem to favour a specific brand.

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 13:53:51 »
There you go:

Quote from: Jeremy
I'm going to go back on my original comment about making this a type. Instead, we'll be creating a new attribute called "wireless beacon" that will be used to support the Chirp or any other wireless beacon device. You can use this attribute for a Traditional Cache if it can also be found with a GPS device that does not support a wireless beacon, or as an "Unknown" (puzzle) type if you need a supporting receiver to find it. If this ever takes off as a new "type" we can reconsider it as a new cache type.

It won't be a new cache type (didn't really make sense), but a new attribute. That should satisfy everyone.

GreyingJay

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 15:22:12 »
I'm more concerned about cache maintenance.  How long will the battery last in the beacon, especially given our Canadian winters?  I'd hate to have to make a trip out to the woods every few months to replace the battery.

We've had electronic-apparatus caches before (generally involving laser pointers and the like), but they tend not to last long.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 08:59:58 »
The battery is supposed to last a year!

L.A.D.I.T.H. has been shining away for years...

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 09:04:21 »
I would change the battery every six months. For what it costs.

The new attribute is here:

« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 10:43:46 by cron »

G_Fours

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 15:00:24 »
And here is a cache with the new attribute.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC2GRHF

GeoAventuriers

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 20:56:12 »
 :D :D And look at the geocoin that's in there...lacwitt's ''model12, Rifeling Through Caches'' coin.  :D :D

3-Bearss

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 17:51:37 »
Groundspeaks "Chirp" policy

:) A new attribute for a “beacon” will be added soon. Any caches that use a Chirp (or any future similar device) should use this attribute.
 :D If a cache owner puts a beacon in a traditional cache and geocachers have an alternative method to find it without using the beacon, then OK. I remind you to use the coming attribute.
 8) If the cache owner insists on not providing an alternative means of finding the geocache, it must be listed as a mystery with the beacon attribute.
 ;D Cache descriptions may mention the “Chirp” as long as the text doesn’t go on and on with “overtones of advertising, marketing, or promotion” as per our long-standing commercial guidelines.
 ::) We do not plan to add a new cache type just for this.

I have updated my Oregon 300 so it is now "Chirp" enabled  :o

GreyingJay

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 11:46:22 »
I should keep a Chirp in my backpack and use it to send random messages to people at large events :)