Author Topic: NCC P4...any one else notice anything about this area...  (Read 11349 times)

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
NCC P4...any one else notice anything about this area...
« on: October 21, 2010, 16:16:07 »
I was doing some maintenance on my "Night Light" cache near NCC P4 on Timm Rd and after replacing the cache I encountered a "hoodie teen" in between my cache and the trail (~80m in).  Being by myself in the middle of the field/forest I just ignored him and kept walking.  He was going W and I was heading back E.  He did turn and eventually came back to the trail like I did.  I picked up the pace a little and kept a eye on him.  No problems, got back to my car on the side of the road, he kept going towards P4.

As I've cached in the area a lot (close to work, easy for lunch time runs), I've notice that P4 is always busy no matter what time of the day (I was in the area at 2:30 on this cold/windy day and there was at least 7 cars).  There appears to be a lot of men in the area.  Some observations have been made in the "Waste of Time" http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=fab90886-bdf7-4039-8c90-cdfc8321e1c9 and "Snowbird" http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=99af20e4-df41-4aa1-91e3-3149fe203a61 logs similar to what I have seen.  A quick Google (ncc p4 ottawa) came up with and "interesting" link confirming my theory.

Just FYI, probably not a good area to cache alone.  ;)

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
Re: NCC P4...any one else notice anything about this area...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 16:22:13 »
P8 off the Rockcliffe Parkway has the same reputation.  Just ask Zartimus sometime about his interesting encounter.

GreyingJay

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 16:49:47 »
What, all I get is a couple of links for cross-country skiing, and ..... yikes!!

So apparently be careful when caching between 2:00pm to 4:00pm!

The red-haired witch

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 16:51:33 »
And Bates Island after dark is very "interesting" too, as I discovered late one GAG night with hidnseek and iguana-girl.  But us girls didn't feel threathened at all with all those men around, they seemed busy doing their own thing  :o

marvin_gardens

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 20:02:59 »
I completed the caches in this area just a few weeks ago mostly on Saturday and Sunday early mornings.  I found it strange that a couple of times there were a few cars with men just sitting waiting.  I only noticed it because of the log I read about something weird in the parking lot... They were in different types of cars including minivans.  This was in contrast to the Subaru driving outdoorsy families that I'd typically see there.  (Yes I'm generalizing).

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 21:40:43 »
I've cached a lot of places, and this phenomenon happens everywhere. Parking lots, put ins and parks. I think they are birdwatchers... Older, male birdwatchers looking for someone to share their hobby. Younger, male someones I think...
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 05:33:09 »
The Timm Road parking lot is the worst I've ever seen for this, though I have noticed it in a lot of NCC parking areas. I was there last November, and felt very uncomfortable, as it seemed quite obvious what was going on. Just one more of the things I'd have never known without geocaching... sigh...

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 08:57:43 »
The phenomenon of these gay rendezvous spots is as old as the hills. Nowadays most gay men openly go to one of the known gay pubs or nightclubs, but there are still many men who don't want to be identified as gay who follow the old school practice of waiting in one of these open air 'meet markets'. I had my own 'D'OH!' moment at P8, off the Rockliffe Parkway, one weekday afternoon. Who knew?

The best 'rest stop' encounter story I've ever heard though came from 3-Bearss. At the risk of stealing his dramatic thunder I'll give a concise synopsis of his 'encounter':

Papa Bearss pulls off the 401 into a rest stop to find a cache. In the parking area he meets a man just standing there. Being a friendly Bearss, he says hello and walks off into the bushes toward the cache. As he's searching the GZ he hears someone approaching and looks up to see the chap from the parking area walking towards him, buck naked! Papa Bearss decided he didn't need to find that cache right away.....

There's no danger from these men. They're not looking for anything you're offering, believe me...

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

missbug

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 10:22:19 »
eek  :P

search 4

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 12:18:23 »
Yeah, there are some things that Geocaching has taught me that I would have rather remained ignorant of.

A few memories that still make me a bit uncomfortable:

While approaching the GZ for the Secret Garden I stumbled across an older shirtless gentleman sunning himself on a large rock in the middle of the woods.  His eyes lit up when I came crashing into the scene and he ended up following me around a bit.  I switched into super-Geocacher-Geek mode and he quickly got the message that I was looking for something completely different than he was.

Many months later, I was departing a GZ somewhat close to the Secret Garden while carrying my toddler on my shoulders when I was spotted from across a large field (approximately 200m away).  This motivated and eagle-eyed gentleman made an obvious course correction in order to approach me and make slow deliberate eye contact. <<<insert spine shivers here>>>

Yet another not so grand memory comes from a quick pitstop on a trip back from Montreal.  As with most roadtrips, I was fully fuelled by Tim Horton’s and had a fully loaded route pocket query loaded in my GPSr.  I needed to go and the next roadside rest stop had a cache…Perfect!  Due to biological priorities, I immediately entered the restroom which happened to be at the exact moment that another much much larger gentleman was exiting.  Much to my surprise, seconds after starting my business at the far left urinal (with 2 empty ones to my right), I became acutely aware of the gentleman who had returned into the facilities and was standing at the adjacent urinal staring at me.  For those non-males in the reading audience, there are strict unwritten rules of order when it comes to urinal choice and choice of focus point (always leave an empty one between users and horizontal eyelines must remain within a 4 degree arc from the plane of your shoulders).  My concern was overridden by the fact that I literally had other matters on my hands.  I finished off my business, maintained a straight ahead posture (in accordance with unwritten rule #2 outlined above) and then got the hell out of there.

Sometimes I think that I really need to stop caching on my own.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 12:45:53 »
Sometimes I think that I really need to stop caching on my own.
What? And miss out on these opportunities to meet new friends?

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

GreyingJay

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 13:59:02 »
I've cached a lot of places, and this phenomenon happens everywhere. Parking lots, put ins and parks. I think they are birdwatchers... Older, male birdwatchers looking for someone to share their hobby. Younger, male someones I think...

Oh, Steve... so innocent...  :o

lacwitt

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 17:37:45 »
I had a similar incident near the re-direct for "Far Out" off of Riverside.  I passed a "gentleman" on my way in, and he was on his way out.  I later passed him again on a trail, and he gave me a look that made me quite uncomfortable.  Since then, I've been caching with a walking stick a lot more...

Binrat

• Jr. Cacher
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 19:37:13 »
In Kingston watch out for the parking lot where the Rideau Trail starts, GC2BXVE, I can tell you an interesting story and it involves a "dude" 6 feet up a tree acting as a look-out.

Binrat

narcissa

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 12:17:58 »
Most of the NCC parking lots make good places for discreet meetings of all sorts. They're also notorious for car break ins, and body dumps. While it's always a good idea to practice good safety while geocaching, the gay panic exhibited in this thread is unnecessary, and frankly, offensive.

Geocachers come from all walks of life, but this kind of talk will certainly make some people feel unwelcome in the community.