Author Topic: NCC P4...any one else notice anything about this area...  (Read 10502 times)

lacwitt

Re: NCC P4...any one else notice anything about this area...
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 16:03:17 »
Most of the NCC parking lots make good places for discreet meetings of all sorts. They're also notorious for car break ins, and body dumps. While it's always a good idea to practice good safety while geocaching, the gay panic exhibited in this thread is unnecessary, and frankly, offensive.

Geocachers come from all walks of life, but this kind of talk will certainly make some people feel unwelcome in the community.

When I had my run in, it never crossed my mind that the guy was gay.  It just made me feel uncomfortable that he was following me around.  Knowing now what is going on in these places, I actually feel a bit better, knowing that no one is out there with malicious intent.

narcissa

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 19:51:05 »
I know of at least TWO bodies being dumped at the Dolman Ridge Road parking lot somewhat recently. One of the bodies was left in a car and set on fire.

Overall, the violent crime rate in Ottawa is pretty low, but it is a big city and nasty stuff does happen. Keep your head up, be safe, and keep things in perspective - being checked out by a guy is hardly cause for alarm.

GreyingJay

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 22:59:16 »
I know of at least TWO bodies being dumped at the Dolman Ridge Road parking lot somewhat recently. One of the bodies was left in a car and set on fire.

Also, Jennifer Teague's body was found off the Lime Kiln Trail near Stoney Swamp.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher

Shoven

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 11:50:54 »
Blackrose I've notice a lot of men hanging out in the Piney Parking area.  I have one cache from this area but won't go to get the others unless i have someone with me.

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 12:11:08 »
The only reason you wouldn't want to get the cache (alone or in a group) is to not give away its position for the potential muggles. Really, although these men are unpleasant to meet (and be followed by), I don't think they'll hurt anyone. Just let them know you're not there for the same reason and they should go. If they don't, then you can leave if you feel like you'll give away the cache. Otherwise, these parks belong to everyone and we can all enjoy taking a walk.

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 12:14:48 »
Otherwise, these parks belong to everyone and we can all enjoy taking a walk.

But do try keeping your pants on...

elyob

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 13:00:06 »
Thanks for bringing this to our attention.  I must be oblivious.  I appreciate the warning because Ziggy once had a nasty habit of tasting left-behind prophylactics.

Shoven

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2012, 13:46:18 »
The only reason you wouldn't want to get the cache (alone or in a group)
is to not walk upon two people doing something I'd really rather not see out on a woody trail.

GreyingJay

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2012, 14:40:35 »
*titter*

yukonshawn

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 18:07:31 »
The name of my soon-to-be-archived GAG15 cache now seems strangely appropriate.
Funny how it was originally intended as a reference to a Simpsons quote.

And yes, I have noticed single men loitering, sans-GPS, in the wilderness.
When I grabbed 'The Secret Garden' this past March, I noticed a lone male, loitering perhaps 40m from me.

elyob

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 18:17:33 »
At least at the Secret Garden the guys get to use nice warm rocks instead of pine needles, at least from what I ran into a few summers back.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2012, 18:26:30 »
If you'd rather not meet the older, creepy men in the P lots, then stay away from the 'The Twist' parking lot on the Eastern Parkway...
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

yukonshawn

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2012, 18:33:15 »
'The Secret Garden' is pretty secluded too, with only one entry/exit point.
Chances are, if you meet someone there without a GPS, "Secret Garden" has an entirely different meaning to them.

Thankfully the parking lot nearest WP1 for 'The Twist' was nearly full during my visit, as it was during a sunny, hot long weekend.

Oddly enough, the one time I did find used condoms on the ground was near neither of these locations.

elyob

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2012, 18:47:44 »
We use the Secret Garden often for the location of orienteering controls.  That's how I was first exposed to the exposures.   :o