Author Topic: MAP 62 and feedback so far  (Read 6011 times)

scubadiver

Re: MAP 62 and feedback so far
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 05:09:07 »
graciious, was that when we were out a couple of weeks ago and we beamed each other some caches between your 62 and my Colorado?  I was working with the GPX file, and it contained the full cache description, 5 recent logs and hint.  I think that I received everything when you beamed to me but can't remember for sure.

Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 05:57:28 »
While on a trip to Newfoundland I killed both my Oregon 550 and Nuvi 780 so I had to find something to replace them, and ended up buying a 62S in Mercer Marine in Clarenville, on the island. The text below is a summary of my first impressions with the 62.

I sold my 60 to buy an Oregon when I saw the higher resolution screen on the more modern unit. Unfortunately it died while on a trip so I ended up getting the 62, and I like it a lot.

It has a more legible screen than the Oregon series, under most conditions, and especially when riding on the bike.

For those who want the 60/76 menu style, the 62/78 has a profile called "Classic" which does the trick.

Mounting the 62 on a motorcycle:

RAM does not have a mount yet for the 62 but the 60 mount works reasonably well. Garmin has gone away from the button on the back which RAM used as part of their mount, so a complete redesign is probably necessary.

But when I bought my 62 I needed something to hold it so we tried the 60 mount and the bottom of the 62 fits snugly into the holder, and a heavy duty elastic band holds  the top in very well. In about 1500 kilometers of motorcycle riding so far, it has not come off once. I do have it tethered to my handlebars, though, just in case.

Just an observation on battery life wrt the 62: i have no intention of blowing up this gps as well as the other two which were bricked by my usb power cable, so I've been using the 62 on NiMh batteries, the ones which came with my Oregon 550.

Most days the batteries were pretty much dead after a day of riding but today I turned the light control completely off so even though I was using the controls and navigating with the unit, after a whole day of riding, 788 kilometers, the batteries still had four bars of power!

The display was always very easy to see under all conditions, from sunny to cloudy, so this makes it much less important for me to hook up external power as I did on the Oregon.

Odds are I'll keep the Oregon as well once it's repaired, but for me the 62 will be much better than the Oregon on a motorcycle.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 06:03:21 by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide »

graciious

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 06:20:32 »
If you were using the Oregon on your motor bike, and had a ram mount for that, it should fit the mount on the back of the 62s, it's the same design. 

maddy82

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 08:51:07 »
Kirok, Don't know if you have used the "Transfer" feature on the 62 yet,  When receiving a file from another device (in my case it was a Colorado) I received the Type of Cache (Trad), Diff/Terr, Name, GC Code and Coordinates.  However when sending a file from my 62s to the other device (in my case it was a Colorado) received everything including the above mentioned details, and the full cache description, hints, previous logs...

Not sure why that is, it wasn't super important in this case I was still thankful someone could transfer me the listing when I was without.

I think the Colorado user that Graciious is talking about is me. I did have all of the information on my machine but not everything got transferred over when I sent the geocache to him. I knew that the Colorado would not send everything to the other GPSr, since I remembered reading something about that on the Groundspeak forums. They said the same thing: transfer from 62 sends all info, transfer from Colorado sends only coords, type, diff/terr, Name, and GC Code. I know I don't have the most up-to-date version of the firmware, so maybe that could be the reason.

Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2010, 07:23:27 »
Quote from: graciious link=topic=30.msg1065#msg1065 date=
If you were using the Oregon on your motor bike, and had a ram mount for that, it should fit the mount on the back of the 62s, it's the same design.  

I don't think so. The Garmin rail mount is the same for both the Oregon and 62, but the shape of each gpsr is quite different. I'll get pictures of both the 62 and Oregon, and the mounts later and post them.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 12:15:19 by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide »

graciious

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 08:44:17 »
I am using my Oregon case for my 62s. I had to cut a small hole in the top of it to allow the antenna to stick out. but the clip securely holds the device in place.

The original case.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34903401@N02/4982779314/

The case modified to fit my 62s
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34903401@N02/4982175125/

The clip inside the case
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34903401@N02/4982747238/

The 62s Secure
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34903401@N02/4982772818/

Having faith in said clip...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34903401@N02/4982145893/

Sorry I don't know how to imbed the images here from flickr.

Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 11:45:19 »
This is the difference in shape/size between the Oregon and 62:

There's no way the RAM mount for the Oregon will fit the 62.

That being said, here's how the RAM 60 mount fits the 62:

Works well enough, for the time being.