Author Topic: Explorist GC  (Read 6828 times)

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
Explorist GC
« on: August 12, 2010, 13:34:27 »
I have a unit and am willing to answer questions about items and issues. 

I am part of the insider program and get units ahead of time.  i have used this unit for over 200 finds now.  This is a good introductory unit for about 225$ Canadian. 

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
Re: Explorist GC
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 16:50:15 »
Attached is a PDF of a piece of the old thread I could find on Google.  Stops on June 2.

graciious

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 07:13:42 »
Just wanted to post this sale price I saw...

Magellan eXplorist GC GPS and Compass Product #79-3803-6
Canadian Tire 139.00 This week.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 10:48:11 »
Magellan eXplorist GC GPS and Compass Product #79-3803-6
Canadian Tire 139.00 This week.

That's an excellent price!

This unit competes very nicely with the Dakota/Oregon family of products for features and functionality, but the price differential makes the eXplorist GC worth looking at!

There were more 'advanced' eXplorists coming out too, or am I mistaken? The GC struck me as a 'starter' unit, I would expect a more advanced model, with auto-routing at a minimum, to be available soon.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

graciious

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 11:29:44 »
There are others in the Explorist line I believe the 510, 610, and 710 I am not familiar with these products however and can't comment on features.  I just saw the GC in the Canadian Tire flyer and thought it might be a good starter unit, or last minute gift idea.

The red-haired witch

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 14:36:23 »
At that price, I think it would be a very good unit for those who already have a car GPS (for the autorouting).  From what I saw of it, the unit seems very straightforward to use, which is good for those people less comfortable with technology that you may want to get hooked on geocaching... I think even my mom could use one of those  (if it was in French and if I loaded the caches in for her ;) )

JoMari

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 20:20:46 »
Purschased one of these as our first handheld GPSr and really enjoyed it. The user interface is very basic and simple to use. The reception is pretty good, not so much under heavy cover though. Made our first 300 or so finds with this and still prefer some of it's features over the Garmin GPSMap62s we have now. Only made the upgrade for the routing, mapping, and projections doing puzzles and harder multi's.  The GC can do basic projections from the location you are, but was not able to from other locations. The intitial load up time is a little slow (a few minutes with 3000+ caches on it), but we were able to enjoy full days of caching (8-12 hours) easily on a set of NiMH rechargables. Supposed to have an electronic compass, but never seems to work very well if your not moving.

For starter or simple GPSr, this is perfect. You can change the interface language to many other as well (including French). Easy plug and load straight from Geocaching.com cache pages or full pocket queries. When purchased the preloaded caches only had one in Ottawa, so really didn't mean much for us.

ottawastones

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 12:17:49 »
I'm a newbie to geocaching, and particularly to the Magellan GC, which I just bought.  I'm plodding through the online owner's manual, but getting frustrated by its poor quality.  I would really appreciate the opportunity to sit down with someone for a short "tutorial" - perhaps at the monthly meet-up?
Anyone?

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 12:53:49 »
I should be at the workshop, but if you share your issue, I maybe able to help online or will be better prepared to help in  person.

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

ottawastones

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 15:13:02 »
Thanks for the offer to help.  i don't have any specific issue, because truly, i'm kind of floundering, not using it's full features.  a general intro and overview would be great, and i'll also take notes with specific questions.
despite this we managed to find 6 caches so far, and really enjoy it.
hope to see you at the meeting.

FoxEcho