Author Topic: Garmin 450 vs 62s...  (Read 7209 times)

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
Garmin 450 vs 62s...
« on: November 25, 2010, 18:13:10 »
... let the debate begin.   ;D

I've decided that I want a dedicated paperless GPS so I'm not really interested in 60+ and iTouch type of option.

I keep going back and forth.  I've been out with 450/550 users and like the idea of the larger touch screen but the idea of the external antenna and more rugged case is appealing.

Need some help to decide, especially considering the 450 sale on now.

Re: Garmin 450 vs 62s...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 18:35:56 »
Apart from the Wherigo support (on the 450), it's pretty much the same thing except for the form factor. Some touchscreen, some don't.

Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 21:57:39 »
I have both the Oregon 550 and a 62S and I say go for the Oregon! Much better screen resolution. The 62 is good, but the Oregon is awesome.

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 07:36:39 »
Of course with a name like that you'd have two different GPSr's.  ;D

GPSCity had the 450 on for $229, had to pull the trigger at that price.  And as a user of both devices I'm trusting your opinion.

I'll confess that I wanted a 450 for the screen but the idea of the 62 antenna was pulling me the other way.  What did it was $200 price difference between the units today, the 62 is nice but not $200 nicer.

Now I have to wait until Christmas to use it, apparently the kids want to give me something for geocaching.  Oh well, hadn't counted on having a new GPSr until my Bday in Feb so I guess I can wait one month.

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 09:03:33 »
GPSCity had the 450 on for $229

And I thought $269 was good yesterday! I have got to figure out how to get the CFO to approve this. My Colorado is driving me nuts!

graciious

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 09:07:13 »
Between you me and the visiters to this forum, I painted my wifes toenails while talking about ordering my 62s...   :-[  It is amazing what we will do to get permission for things.

Project_Pandemonium

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 09:56:57 »
I know it`s not the 62, but Cabelas (US) has a GPS Map 60Csx for 199 $, black friday online sale. I use touchscreen and I am not too familiar with the GPS map series, but as it was previously listed at 499$, it may be a good deal.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home/5-Day-Sale-Hunting-Gear%7C/pc/105625080/c/106997580/Garmin174-GPSMAP-60CSx/741489.uts?destination=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D106997580
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 09:59:12 by Project_Pandemonium »

Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 22:22:57 »
Of course with a name like that you'd have two different GPSr's.  ;D

GPSCity had the 450 on for $229, had to pull the trigger at that price.  And as a user of both devices I'm trusting your opinion.

I'll confess that I wanted a 450 for the screen but the idea of the 62 antenna was pulling me the other way.  What did it was $200 price difference between the units today, the 62 is nice but not $200 nicer.

We both think you'll be very happy with your choice.  :D The screen resolution is so much better than the 62 that I feel bad keeping the 62 around. I don't think it will get much use, but I want to take my time to see if it has any advantages over the Oregon.

The only advantage that comes to mind is that the display of the 62 is easier to see if the backlight is off, compared to the same setting on the Oregon, but that's not enough to tempt me back to using it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 22:28:51 by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide »

narcissa

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 11:07:37 »
I am enjoying my 450.

junglehair

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 20:05:45 »
Sad to hear that in the Oregon vs. the 62s, you prefer the Oregon.  I had such hopes for that unit.

Tromelin is using a 450 and I am using the 550.  The paperless option is great, but the reception in tree cover is terrible - even when there is no canopy on the trees.  The unit has a tendancy to freeze up on occasion and there seems to be a few bugs they need to work out yet.  I long for the accuracy and reception of my old 60Cx, but not sure I would want to go back to having to load the PDA as well.  I also make use of the logging notes feature on the Oregon and I would surely miss that feature.

Enjoy your new Oregon!  It may take a bit to get used to the new interface, but it does have some nice features.  I can give you some pointers if we're out on the trail together again in the near future. 

A few pointers:
- If the unit freezes, you'll need to pop the batteries out to reset it.
- If that wipes out all your waypoints, you'll need to get to a computer to reload them, or you can apparently just change the file name and the next time it boots up it will load the files.  It doesn't actually delete the waypoints, the gpx file is still there, it just doesn't load them.
- You can store several 1000 waypoints on the Oregon - I try not to max it out though, so usually have no more than 2-3000 waypoints loaded at one time.
- To load the waypoints, you can just drag and drop your Pocket Query GPX file into the Garmin/GPS folder.
- The unit tends to overshoot, so try to slow down as you are approaching ground zero.  That seems to help.
- To find a Chirp cache, you will need to ensure that the unit software is up-to-date and includes the Chirp software.  You also need to go into the settings and enable that feature when you want to use it.
- There is a limit to the numbers of characters it can download for a cache page.  Sometimes it cuts off the last portion of the page (like all the logging questions on a really wordy EarthCache).  If you're planning to do an EarthCache, make sure the entire page is loaded before you head out, otherwise you'll want to make sure you at least have the logging questions.

Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 20:23:57 »
Sad to hear that in the Oregon vs. the 62s, you prefer the Oregon.  I had such hopes for that unit...

If the choice is between the 62 and the Oregon, I have to say that my 62S locks up much more often than my Oregon. I can't remember the last time my Oregon locked up but the 62 is at least once a day, and I don't even have to be doing anything at all. It'll be scrolling a map screen on it's own as I travel on the road and after a while I notice the screen hasn't budged in ages...

My Legend HCx never locks, and sooner or later all these 'new tech' units (Oregon/62) will be as reliable as that. Garmin's been very good at updating the software so far, so I'm not worried about it. It'll happen eventually.

I'm still not going back to using the older units just because these lock up once in a while, though. Unless all my Oregons and 62's break down, that is.  ;D

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 20:37:36 »
If the choice is between the 62 and the Oregon, I have to say that my 62s locks up much more often than my Oregon. I can't remember the last time my Oregon locked up but the 62 is at least once a day, and I don't even have to be doing anything at all. It'll be scrolling a map screen on it's own as I travel on the road and after a while I notice the screen hasn't budged in ages...

Well, I'm not a big fan of my 62s, but I've had it since release day (June?) and it's only ever locked up on me once.  If mine displayed the symptoms yours has, I'd have returned it long ago. 

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 20:51:03 »
My Colorado locks up waaayyy too often. That's one of the things I hate about it. If my new Oregon does it, It'll be going back, and back, and back...

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 21:05:34 »
I also make use of the logging notes feature on the Oregon and I would surely miss that feature.

When I found the Osgoode caches, I thought it wouldn't make sense to log them all one by one. A bit of research returned this "Field Notes" feature. Hmmm... I quickly wrote a Perl script to go through my finds and create the file for me, which I later uploaded to geocaching.com (and it was quick to log all these caches!).

I'm just finishing writing a macro that will mimic this behaviour for any Garmin GPS. No need for the Oregon for me so far (except for Chirp and Wherigo).

Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 22:19:08 »
If the choice is between the 62 and the Oregon, I have to say that my 62s locks up much more often than my Oregon. I can't remember the last time my Oregon locked up but the 62 is at least once a day, and I don't even have to be doing anything at all. It'll be scrolling a map screen on it's own as I travel on the road and after a while I notice the screen hasn't budged in ages...

Well, I'm not a big fan of my 62s, but I've had it since release day (June?) and it's only ever locked up on me once.  If mine displayed the symptoms yours has, I'd have returned it long ago. 

I trust Garmin will sort it out eventually. Think I read somewhere that badly formed code in some gpx files might be the cause of most of the lockups...