Author Topic: Oregon/Dakota/Colorado/62/78 VS Legend/60/76  (Read 6590 times)

G_Fours

Re: Oregon/Dakota/Colorado/62/78 VS Legend/60/76
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2010, 02:43:51 »
If I could take the antenna from my 60csx and stick it on my iPhone 4 I would be a very happy man.

The iPhone can't touch the Garmin in terms of battery life and reception under canopy cover.

Garmin will never match the iPhone in terms of easy of use and software reliability.

IMHO Garmin needs to take their heads out of their &$$ and stop trying to produce 3 or 4 backcountry GPSr units. Make one, make it right, and stop segmenting their own market.

I almost upgraded to a Colorado, based mostly on looks, I dodged a bullet there. I think Garmin's offical response to update requests to that unit is to point and laugh. I think I'm going to hold on to my 60 for a while. It might not be pretty, but the arrow usually points to a cache.

Tanglebones

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2010, 18:47:06 »
Odd, there's been no posts from the iPhone crowd?!

I know a couple of cachers who use the iPhone 4 exclusively for caching now. I wonder how that's going? Anyone?

As one of the iPhone 4 crowd...

I'm hesitant to wade in here, recognizing every single GPSr has strengths and weaknesses.  There is no best; it is all a matter of personal preference.  Just to put my own experience in perspective, my first unit was a Magellan SporTrak Color (Colour, dammit) followed quickly by an iPAQ with internal GPS, an Oregon 400T and finally an iPhone 4.  I have to say, I've really soured on the whole Garmin line and this is due primarily to their map policy.  I see it as unadulterated greed, and that sours me far more than any technical hiccups ever could.  Also, they have a knack for leaving bugs unfixed for years (Wherigo engine) and not adding features that are a simple software change (proximity circles).  I won't even mention those poor Colorado folk.  Anyhoo, back to the iPhone...

I simply love it for caching.  I've never found the Oregon 400T very accurate and have had to rely on a "GZ figure-eight pattern" more times than not, trying to get at least a reliable bearing.  Maybe it is the unit I have, but it really doesn't like cover very well at all.  The iPhone accuracy is mostly comparable to my 400T experience, with the occasional maddening exception.  It has 5m accuracy (rather than 3m, which I believe the Oregon claims) and near instantaneous response to direction changes.  Like any jack of all trades, though, the iPhone has mastered none.  Almost everything about it is a compromise or a trade-off in some regard. But...

- There are no GPX/number of cache limits.  Until I pared it down recently, I routinely had 4500+ caches in there from the entire Ontario/Quebec region, all available near instantaneously with a few taps of my fingers, and all updated twice a week.

- I've stopped using GSAK now, choosing to do my filtering and history recording on the iPhone.  I import my PQ's directly from Groundspeak and it automatically loads every available picture from every cache, as well as the usual number of logs, hints, embedded links, etc. 

- Being an iPhone, I have a full turn-by-turn navigation program in there, one that works directly with both the Groundspeak geocaching app and my personal favourite, Geosphere.  When a newly published cache comes in, a few taps on the screen and not only am I downloading the GPX into Geosphere complete with all associated waypoints but turn by turn directions from my current location are opening as well.

- I can leave Geosphere up as I drive around the city and see every cache as I go.  Great for not only discovering caches, but also areas which appear to be open for placing new ones.

- I have a built in geo-tagging camera (with flash), video camera, audio recorder, Wherigo player, and more calculators than you can possibly need or want.  It has Google Earth, Street View, automatic sudoku solvers, trigonometry apps, audio recognition software, cipher/code apps...even one that listens to Morse code and automatically translates it.  I know what a lot are probably thinking - "Why don't you wait until it goes out and logs the caches for you, too!" - but all these things appeal to my tech side rather than simply provide an easier path to solving a puzzle or finding a cache.  I admire creativity and new ways of doing things, and the iPhone 4 fills that for me in a big way.  It is a clever, beautifully designed product, and one that has very clearly had a lot of thought put into the end-user experience.  It has made me look at my buggy Oregon and frown.  I think that's the thing that bugs me the most about Garmin...the end-user experience.  How friggin' hard would it have been to add proximity circles, or to allow the user to copy topo maps he paid for (ARGH!) from the unit to Garmin's own Basecamp software?

And, when geocaching is over, I can find the nearest restaurant, watch a movie, read (or listen) to a book, order theatre tickets...etc.  As I said at the beginning, though, it is entirely a personal preference.  Old school, new school, touch screens or push buttons.  It matters not.  Just have fun.

- Stu

PS - It took a bit of perseverance, but I've managed to convert Garmin Gal.  She prefers using it now too, though hasn't yet thought up a new geo-name for herself and is stubbornly resisting my suggestion:  Iphone I-Told-Ya-So...

Geo-Cat!

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2010, 09:17:17 »
I'm hesitant to wade in here,

Really??   :D :D

GreyingJay

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2010, 10:40:54 »
I'm hesitant to wade in here,

Really??   :D :D

Oh, you know his kind.  They're used to "silent running". :)