Author Topic: fradjoh disables all his caches!  (Read 4712 times)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
fradjoh disables all his caches!
« on: December 03, 2010, 14:48:21 »
Does anyone know why fradjoh http://coord.info/PR2DG4E is disabling all his caches for the winter? Yes some are not particularly winter friendly, but as long as that is clear in the attributes and description people can use their judgement about the amount of snow cover and how much digging they'll need to do....

It seems an extreme step.

Blue-
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
Re: fradjoh disables all his caches!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 14:50:12 »
I was wondering that as well. I just found the skirt-lifter at Lee Valley yesterday, and I don't see any reason why it would not be available for the winter. Bien weird!

The red-haired witch

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 15:15:12 »
This is more common in Mtl I think.  Some cachers use containers that become brittle in winter and prefer to remove them until the weather warms up again.

I find it strange myself.

I could see disabling a cache after a major ice storm, or if you know it's been buried under a ton of snow like two years ago.  But disabling them when there is barely any snow... why?

It is especially strange when a cache is marked as "available in winter", as is one I found recently and that he just disabled.  So I posted a note...

I tend to prefer those caches in small city parks on cold winter days (no kids playing), it is a bit annoying if they all disappear until spring  ???

missbug

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 15:22:30 »
maybe fradjoh is flying south for the winter and doesnt want to look after the caches?

The_BOD

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 16:33:34 »
saw the same thing, asked myself the same question and thought of the same anwer as MissBug.

Did somebody think to ask him directly ?

The_BOD

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 18:08:22 »
well I contacted them and the reason is simple (for them)

Roughly translated here is reply I got :  "We are expecting snow in the next days and we are not certain how much.  Maybe a little maybe lots.  While it is true that some of our caches are accessible in the winter we prefer to play it safe and disable all of them.  We would hate for have someone try to look for nothing.  Thank you for contacting us thru our email.  Some geocachers are not as diplomatic and are sending rather nasty emails"

Well there it is...  I don't think it's the right decision but it's not mine to make.  I am quite surprised that some people would find it ok to send them nasty emails about it.  oh well....

bbrimacombe

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 18:14:04 »
By that logic, all caches anywhere that gets snow should be disabled.  I wouldn't worry about people who don't check to see if a cache is winter friendly before going to find it in the middle of winter.  It's their own fault if they can't find it and wasted a trip.

I should also mention that I DNFed Florence (http://coord.info/GC2B6YQ) last Friday.  I went looking for it knowing full well that it wasn't winter friendly.  I actually choose it because it wasn't winter friendly so that I would have more winter friendly caches available to me in winter.  I had no problem finding it yesterday :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 18:26:40 by bbrimacombe »

lacwitt

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 11:26:59 »
They're just disabling them, or removing all the containers?  You can still find a disabled cache, no rules against that.

The_BOD

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 12:35:08 »
from what I understand, they are simply disabling them....

The red-haired witch

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 09:05:12 »
I don't get it either...

By that logic, there would be no cachng at all in winter.  I guess he doesn't cache in winter.

I asked about the cache I had fiund recently, since it had the "available in winter" attribute and I remember it being placed in a spot that would not have been buried even with crazy snow like we had two years ago.  He fixed the issue by changing the attribute to "not-available in winter"  ???

Oh well, luckily There are lots of other caches to keep me busy this winter... if I ever get some time for caching  ::)

Keeper of Maps

• Baby Cacher
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 16:50:10 »
I have some caches that I've marked as "not available for winter" (GCNBXX, GC1ZE33 and GCP93C are three Ottawa-area ones) because I would prefer people not attempt to find them once they've become buried by the snow. While the containers are lock-n-locks, they can become brittle in the cold and people digging for them can inadvertantly crack them. In fact, I often remove GCP93C for the winter because it's in a tight location where ice can build up and the container is at risk just from the ice.

Another reason I disable them, particularly my Take the High Road caches, is because their locations would be given away by the trail and increase their risk of being muggled.

How a cache owner chooses to manage their caches is entirely up to them. If they've marked it disabled, particularly caches that are seasonal, you should respect that and go find one of the other hundreds of caches in the area that are more winter-friendly.

narcissa

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 17:03:56 »
Lamppost caches often become inaccessible in the winter. Cache owners usually choose the farther sections of parking lots for these caches - the same sections of parking lot that become snow dumps in winter.

Disabling caches for the winter is not uncommon. I think we should respect the decisions a cache owner makes about issues like this.

graciious

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 18:08:36 »
I went by one of my caches to discover it is now frozen to the ground, I am leaving it there but will disable it for the winter months.  I can understand why some people disable them.  I was concerned that a trail leading to my cache would cause it to be muggled as well and I really didn't want that to happen!

Femmeng

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 15:14:56 »
Interestingly, I have had 2 different finds of one of my caches recently, where the finders have commented that it will be hard to find in the winter (duh, that is what the not winter friendly attribute means, isn't it). One was very helpful in telling me that they had moved it so it would be more accessible once it snowed. Of course, given where it is hidden, it would then either be out in the open, or moved miles from the listed coordinates. So I trekked out to check it and put it safely back into its not winter friendly location. The cache has been in place for 2 years, and I haven't had this problem before.
I guess I can understand why one might want to disable caches for the winter, because nobody seems to read the cache page. I think that is odd because I use the winter friendly attribute in the summer, to help me find the cache.

graciious

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 21:22:39 »
What's the rule for finding disabled caches.  Will I get into some sort of trouble for finding a cache that has been disabled for the winter?  I mean, the cache in question was a skirt lifter and I didn't have to step into any snow to make the find.

Should I log the find now or wait until it's activated again?