Author Topic: fradjoh disables all his caches!  (Read 4711 times)

Sakidoo

• Global Moderator
  • Full Time Cacher
Re: fradjoh disables all his caches!
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 21:24:38 »
In my humble opinion, if you found it and signed the log, it would be a find in my books.

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 22:22:22 »
What's the rule for finding disabled caches.  Will I get into some sort of trouble for finding a cache that has been disabled for the winter?  I mean, the cache in question was a skirt lifter and I didn't have to step into any snow to make the find.

Should I log the find now or wait until it's activated again?

You can definitely log a disabled and/or archived cache that you found, but hunting for them can hurt (sometimes, cache owners will remove the container when they disable a cache). If they don't, then they expect people to find them even if they're disabled.

yukonshawn

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 16:09:12 »
What's the rule for finding disabled caches.  Will I get into some sort of trouble for finding a cache that has been disabled for the winter?  I mean, the cache in question was a skirt lifter and I didn't have to step into any snow to make the find.

Should I log the find now or wait until it's activated again?

Log it.

There are entire threads on this board dedicated toward finding and logging caches that have been archived, sometimes for years, which are still at the indicated location.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 16:26:31 »
Disabling a cache is a SERVICE that Cache Owners should provide to other geocachers when there is a problem with the cache in question.

Logging a disable on your own cache warns cachers who are searching for caches to find that there may actually be a valid reason NOT to search for your disabled cache. Many cachers use a PQ to search, and will check off the 'is active' box so they don't download those disabled caches.

If your cache IS disabled, but still in place (with a wet log or a dull pencil) then geocachers will NOT see your disabled cache in their search results even though your cache is totally viable.

If your cache is disabled for more than two weeks, you should make arrangements for someone to do maintenance, or perhaps think of archiving your cache if you are unable to maintain it properly.

There is nothing wrong with searching for, and logging, a disabled/archived cache if you are willing to take the chance that it has been removed...

Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

narcissa

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2011, 12:39:33 »
Nothing wrong with logging a find on a disabled or archived cache. Some of us don't run PQs that often and might not have up-to-date info, some of us enjoy the challenge of searching for a cache that may or may not be there.