Author Topic: Tell us your good or bad travel bug stories  (Read 7096 times)

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
Tell us your good or bad travel bug stories
« on: August 13, 2010, 06:31:22 »
Do you have a bug that has traveled far and wide?  Share the story with us here.  Do you have a sad or angry story about the misfortunes of one of your travelers?  Share those too! 

Binrat

• Jr. Cacher
Re: Tell us your good or bad travel bug stories
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 16:27:28 »
Last summer I took Beaglescout, TB211TD, on a Grand Adventure.

I personally took him to Ontario, British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, Quebec, New York and Nunavut.

Travelled 14,000 kilometers or 8.699 miles

Tasted salt water on three different coasts(Pacific, Atlantic and Arctic)

And then some POS retrieved him from "OMAX - Obsolèt(tr)e" and kept him!

He never logged he found the cache and has never logged any cache.

For those who don't know I love finding a plush TB and using it as a Trip Mascot and mileage tracker for all my major trips and have fun taking them all over the place.

It just sucks!

Binrat

tcort

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 21:22:12 »
Do you have a sad or angry story about the misfortunes of one of your travelers?

Sad or angry story about the misfortunes of one of my travelers? Try 1/2 of my travelers. 12 of the 24 travelers that I released into the wild are missing. That's over 50$ down the drain! And I only started releasing travelers 2 years ago.

But you asked for a story, so here's a little story of an experiment I did. In Fall 2008 I purchased 5 Canada Micro 2008 Geocoins. I released them in Nova Scotia in October 2008 with the goal of getting to BC in time for the 2010 Olympics. 3 of the 5 coins are missing. Only 1 made it to the 2010 Olympics. The other active coin is in the US near Boston.

I don't release travelers anymore. Eventually they just end up stolen, muggled, lost, sitting in someone's car for months, stuck in a lonely cache, moved someplace counter to their mission, sold on ebay, etc.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 21:33:00 »
I don't release travelers anymore. Eventually they just end up stolen, muggled, lost, sitting in someone's car for months, stuck in a lonely cache, moved someplace counter to their mission, sold on ebay, etc.

Stop being so negative. That's MY job... ::)
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

PhotoCrasher

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 19:50:27 »
I have a happy story... I had a TB that's goal was to travel to New Zealand. After only 6 caches and a few months it finally made it. I was hoping it would stick around the area for a few years but funny enough, it was picked up a few days later and dropped off in the UK... where it remains.

This is my first and only trackable to achieve it's goal.

lacwitt

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 20:25:59 »
I've got a GC that made it's way out west and then stopped moving.  I contacted the person who was holding the coin, and was informed that they had actually given it to another cacher/solder who was gone over to Afghanistan to place it in a cache over there.  They then informed me that he was actually holding onto the coin for good luck, and would leave it behind when his tour was finally over. 

graciious

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 21:32:58 »
I like that story lacwitt. Thanks for sharing!

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 22:18:32 »
I have a geocoin that made it's way to New Zealand where it got lost.  The woman who lost it, felt bad so she sent a new coin out to travel back to me, of course once the new coin left the area the old one was found.  The new coin made it's way to San Francisco where I was hoping that cavecats could pick it up.  I contact the cacher who had it, to find out it was given to another cacher (friend) 2 days before at an event, however the next morning the cacher was in fatal accident. THe friend did not know where the coin was.  I felt awful for this cacher as he had lost a friend.  They were also new cachers, think about a month in to the sport.  I did not expect anything to happen given, what, had happened.  The friend would email me at times, got the friends caching bag, coin was not in it.  The last email was that he went to the car and found the geocoin, washed the blood off and put it back in the wild.  That was more then anything I could expect to have happen, as it must have been hard for him.  This coin will mean more now when it does arrive.  It has traveled New Zealand, UK, California....I just hope it will not go missing between there and here as it does seem to be meant to travel.

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

Gremlinique

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 19:45:25 »
I took Rednas Travel bug (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1980525&page=2) in Central Park, New York, in may 2009. Brought it in Gatineau, then drove it in Quebec City where one of my geocacher friend grabbed it and placed it in a cache. It traveled for a while in this area and 2 months later ended up in O-Max O feu, a few hundred meter from home ?!?! Why and how it reappeared so close from my home still a mystery...

I retrieved it again i moved it with me in vacations during summer time (Went as far north east as N 48° 50.419 W 068° 52.187) and then came back in the area where i released it, mid august near the aviation museum.

It traveled 3 more months in Ontario then was marked as missing.

narcissa

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 22:19:22 »
Last year I had a coin belonging to Wayfinder Zukon that was supposed to stay in the Ottawa area. I accidently dropped it into a cache in BC, but quickly realized my mistake. I returned to the cache, only to discover that someone else had been there in the meantime and had taken the coin!

I contacted the other cacher, and she happily mailed the coin back to Ottawa.

Femmeng

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 11:32:23 »
My friend, Slugdeath, who used to cache in Ottawa, moved to BC 2 summers ago. On the way out, she released a TB in Alberta, I think, that was suppose to follow her to her new home in the west. For some reason, that bug has travelled steadily further EAST, until it ended up in Nova Scotia. She sent me a note, some time ago, when it was in Ottawa, but by the time I got the note, some kind cacher had moved it to Trois Riviere!
Last week, a cacher found it in Nova Scotia, and took it to Kelowna. It finally found someone who knew which way west was!
I have enjoyed watching its journey, and found it interesting that it kept moving east. I guess it had decided to take the long way home.

Juicepig

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 12:21:23 »
My Coal TB has been rolling around in the back of Greywynds truck for over 3 years now.... UNLOGGED

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 17:01:13 »
My Coal TB has been rolling around in the back of Greywynds truck for over 3 years now.... UNLOGGED

But you're not bitter...  :D  :P

team polarbear

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 18:54:54 »
I had a real nice cache called Canadian Post Box, one of those little red ones that Staples used to sell.  It moved from the Ottawa area and went down into the States.  A cacher put it into a cache and before it was picked up again there was a landslide that took the cache and my travel bug with it.  Where is it?  Down the hill, buried in the dirt!

Team Polarbear

dnorth98

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 19:00:16 »
I posted a small version of this on the intro....section but here goes.

Not long after starting caching last year, my daughter wanted to get a bug.  We found these super nice "firefly" cachekinz bugs that she really liked so I poined up and snagged one.  We'd found a few by this point and some had some cool missions so we wanted ours to head back to where we're from in England.  Figured it was a tall order but not impossible as we'd found one ourselves from ze Germanz so were optomistic it could go the distance.  Anyway, we set it a mission to head to my home town, wifes home town and the place we were married in.  For history nerds, we were married just outside a village called "Battle" in E.Sussex which is where the battle of Hastings took place (THE battle of hastings!).  Dropped the bug in a cache we planted near our house and waited.

After a short while, it was snagged and moved around the valley for a while before someone snagged it and took it to Nova Scotia.  By an incredible coincidence, it ended up in a cache around 5 miles from my sister's house in the Annapolis valley!  That was coolness in itself and I sent her off to seek it out.  She didn't get there in time and it moved around NS for a while before being grabbed by someone who lived close to Battle!  They grabbed it and a week later, BAM, it arrived right in Battle.  2 more stops to go on it's mission but the "big jump" is out of the way :)

I still think it's darn impressive how these things move around.  When I explain this to friends not familar with bugs, they think I'm having a laugh (is 'e havin' a laugh?!) and no way it could move so far.

We've found some other good ones that my daughter liked who wanted specific pics taken, etc.  It's always more fun when there's a meaningful or entertaining mission for the bug!

D