Author Topic: Tell us your good or bad travel bug stories  (Read 7602 times)

team mammoth

Re: Tell us your good or bad travel bug stories
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 10:01:29 »
We had a bug go missing on it's first drop. We activiated it an placed in a cache near Niagara Falls. It went missing almost immediately as the next day's cachers report the cache held no bugs. You'd think that would give us a limited number of people to poke, but still no signs of the coin. It wasn't heard from in over a year. But then popped up in Germany! We went back and looked at logs in Niagara and never figured out how it got to Germany. But it's been bopping around Europe happily ever since -- 15k+ KMs

That said, we lose more than are still active. I guess we should expect it, just as caches don't live forever. We're looking for some kind of story/journey before they drop out of sight.

I always like it when I'm far away and I find a TB either released or crossed paths with somone I know. Two years ago, I found a TB from rossmtbiker in Dublin, and picked up a TB this summer in BC that had moved around with several Ottawa cachers. The neat part when you travel is you often visit caches that you haven't thoroughly researched and don't know or expect a TB to be there, or what it's connections/goals might be.

graciious

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 14:14:30 »

Although it isn't my first TB, my "Canadian Geocoin" made it over seas the other day.  It has travelled the farthest with 7344.4 kilometers.  I am excited to see where it will end up next.

cavecats

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 09:46:58 »

Here's a good one...

I personally have two siamese cats, one named Porsche and one named Bentley. They are the "ats"  (And Their Siamese) of cavecats.

Back in November 2006 (I'd been caching approximately 2 months), I made the above "Porsche-Cat"  into a T.B. with the mission of getting to Vancouver and into the hands of my non-geocaching daughter (she's the "v" in cavecats).  The goal was that if and when it made it to Vancouver, CAEC of the cavecats clan would travel to Vancouver and retreive the T.B. and visit with V at the same time.

Bluelamb03 was the first to handle it and with a pass off to hidnseek, she had Porsche-Cat in her geocaching father's hands by the Christmas holidays.  It did take another couple of months, for Porsche-Cat to get placed into a cache but once it did, my daughter, using only google earth, easily found the cache and retrieved Porsche-Cat.  

Amazingly, in less than 3 months this TB had completed its mission, so good to my word for Mothers' Day 2007, CAEC flew out to Vancouver.

After a joyful reunion with Porsche-Cat and my daughter, we agreed that the mission had been too short and obviously too easy, so we decided to place her back in the same Vancouver cache with instructions for her to return home to Chelsea, Quebec.

Unfortunately, less than two months later (July 2007), Porsche-Cat disappeared. I thought that this was the end of the story, like many of my other coins and TBs I have placed.

Fast forward to August 2010.  

Reader's Digest version:

lirvine found Porsche-Cat somewhere in Vernon, B.C. (he wouldn't elaborate where).  With an exchange of emails and such, he made arrangements for me to pick up Porsche-Cat in Vancouver the day before I embarked on my cruise to Hawaii .

Porsche-Cat is now happily attached to my backpack and goes with me everywhere.  She is now "yours to discover".

meow!!!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 10:48:26 by cavecats »

missbug

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 10:08:50 »
aw! happy story! i love it. thanks for sharing :D (also, it's neat to learn some components of your name origin!)

graciious

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 07:51:45 »
I reported my first "missing" TB this morning.  It was put in a cache in October, and hasn't been seen there since.  I am hopeful someone will log it eventually but I am not holding my breath.   :'(

cavecats

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 08:29:05 »
Since my initiation into geocaching I have activated 59 coins/TBs

21 are in my hands
23 are still out there traveling.

15 have been stolen!!!

Out of the 21 that are in my hands
16 have never been anywhere
2 are our name tags that we dip at events
3 had quite the adventures before amazingly coming home

Out of the 23 still out there traveling:
5 were considered stolen but eventually were "found"

and the biggest success story is Porsche-Cat (see above)

SigsPig

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 10:08:53 »
Bad: At the Chinese New Year event, I handed over the Louisana GeoCoin to a cacher from Quebec: you ke te
He still hasn't 'grabbed' it. And hasn't answered emails.
What do you do in a case like this??????

scotian

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 12:25:24 »
I don't know what else you can do if they don't respond. It's pretty typical of the missing TB experience. The movement of trackables are based on the honour system and some people are fuzzy on that concept. I rarely get a response.

Out of the 18 trackables I've released into the wild 7 have gone missing, 3 are probably missing (1 of those still at an event in New York from Oct last year), 7 are still travelling in the US Canada or Europe and 1-just 1- actually made its goal of going to Costa Rica and back to Petawawa, landing in my cache here, which was pretty neat. Its now back in my hands as an example of how the game should go.

For me, if I let any more go it'll be with the expectation that I'll probably never see them again but they may have a great adventure.

What really burns me is when you move a GC/TB for someone and it disappears immediately after you place it in a cache so you're the last known handler. I moved one from Ont to Utah when I visited out there because it's goal was the Grand Canyon and it disappeared from that cache.

SigsPig

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 14:18:13 »
It wouldn't be as bad if it was a coin I owned however, it was a coin with a mission & he was happy to have it. As with most events, there's the understanding that if you grab a coin/tb, your going to log it & move it along.
Problem is it's sitting on my profile & I don't have physical control of it  >:(
Hopefully he shows up at another NCR function & someone can ask him about it!

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 17:24:26 »
Wow!  My  first travel bug, Skippy's Sac - TBKQP6 (yes, a real Kangaroo scrotum), was released into the wild in September of 2005, only 2 months after I started caching. He was first "touched" by bluelamb03 and moved around locally a bit, where he then got stuck in a difficult multi-cache. Bluelamb03 came to Skippy's rescue and moved him along once more, which allowed him to travel far and wide. Then on June 3rd 2007, he vanished. Placed in a cache in Oregon and suspected to have been picked up by a 5 find n00b, never to be seen again. 

Today, almost 4 years later, Skippy was found! Which specific cache he was found in has yet to be determined, but he turned up somewhere in South Carolina!  3500+ km away for where he disappeared!   8)  Hopefully, the new holder of Skippy will move him along soon.  Maybe someday he'll reach Australia as intended.

missbug

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2011, 08:40:26 »
haha! good story! and wacky TB!!!

graciious

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2011, 09:39:24 »
WOW!!  :o  Now there is double the chance to find a Kangaroo Scrotum in a geocache.  Just what I always wanted!  ;D

Too bad the TB doesn't come with a special icon.. lol!

scotian

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2011, 12:35:54 »
the sac came back-thought he was a goner....
great story  :D