Author Topic: Dec 14 downtime making way for what?  (Read 6616 times)

inkyfiller

Dec 14 downtime making way for what?
« on: December 15, 2010, 09:45:17 »
Not sure if last nights updates are finished but I was able to log on this am. Banner is still at the top of the page, and my goodness it is s-l-o-w- !! Took about a minute of clocking to open and another minute to check my profile page. Hope this will pass soon. Very ugly at my end - Anyone else tried??  Inky
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 19:56:42 by hidnseek »

Juicepig

Re: Geocaching Dec 14 rework
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 09:46:06 »
Taste of things to come.. if they can get it working:

http://pyrocachers-rambles.blogspot.com/2010/12/taster-of-things-to-come.html

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 09:57:48 »
It is slow this morning , yes.

Hope to have the toys out this time next week.

maps  ;D

and stats in your profile

and ratings

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

inkyfiller

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 10:44:54 »
Neat map - I think I see the ET power trail. (LOL)

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 16:31:05 »

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 19:55:51 »
To read some news on the stats feature check:
http://www.torontogeocaching.com/?p=138

inkyfiller

Re: Dec 14 downtime making way for what?
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 09:23:10 »
I wish that Groundspeak had purchased another stats site. Or at least one that would reflect distances in Metric instead of Imperial. I wonder if they will improve it to reflect the world reality. I have noticed more cachers using the GSAK Stat generator or CacheStats in their profiles than this program. Just my 2 cents. Hopefully we won't be forced to use this program.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 09:35:37 »
Hopefully we won't be forced to use this program.

If I understand this correctly you won't be forced to do anything, a uniform stats page will be available as a tab on your profile alongside your souvenir and photo gallery pages. You can still place your stats on your 'front' page using any stats program you wish.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

Pibelle

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 11:09:40 »
Just watched the Youtube video of the new Maps feature, looks like the 500 limit when viewing caches on the map has been increased dramatically.  ;D  Wonder how many caches we'll be able to see now? 

inkyfiller

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 11:34:38 »
Thanks for that info on the Stats page Lib, and to answer Pierre's question - I believe the only limit will be the number of caches in the viewed area.  Inky

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 12:11:00 »
Thanks for that info on the Stats page Lib,

Technically, they could force you to use the new stats feature. All they have to do is to drastically restrict the amount of characters that can be uploaded to your profile page. They used to increase it bits by bits when users were complaining they couldn't paste the whole output of their favourite stats programs. This can go back to what it was.

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 12:53:52 »
Thanks for that info on the Stats page Lib, and to answer Pierre's question - I believe the only limit will be the number of caches in the viewed area.  Inky

No limit you can see the WHOLE world on the maps...very cool. Stats is a tab on profile, you can see it if you want  or cut paste stuff to your front profile from another place.  The stats on your profile will be updated auto so you don't have to cut and paste it in.  The maps are first version and will have features added to them in time.

Nikon-Guy

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 14:33:51 »
I wish that Groundspeak had purchased another stats site. Or at least one that would reflect distances in Metric instead of Imperial. I wonder if they will improve it to reflect the world reality. I have noticed more cachers using the GSAK Stat generator or CacheStats in their profiles than this program. Just my 2 cents. Hopefully we won't be forced to use this program.

I don't know where you only see Imperial.  I've been using mygeocachingprofile.com for a while now.

It displays both imperial and metric.

-NG

Pibelle

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 15:49:59 »
I believe the only limit will be the number of caches in the viewed area.  Inky

No limit you can see the WHOLE world on the maps...very cool.

Wow!  :o Indeed, this will be very cool!  Can't say I've been overly impressed by past "improvements", but this update looks like a winner.  Competition is a good thing.

Ducky

• Baby Cacher
  • HEY... and where do you think you're going!?!?
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 16:35:54 »
I believe the only limit will be the number of caches in the viewed area.  Inky

No limit you can see the WHOLE world on the maps...very cool.

Wow!  :o Indeed, this will be very cool!  Can't say I've been overly impressed by past "improvements", but this update looks like a winner.  Competition is a good thing.

This update was planned before the open caching leak.