Author Topic: Opinion of Geocahing Software on phones.  (Read 4309 times)

JoMari

Opinion of Geocahing Software on phones.
« on: December 19, 2010, 23:09:59 »
Looking to upgrade our phones in the new year and am undecided on which way to go. Leaning towards the Android, but am still considering the Iphone4 or maybe a Blackberry Torch. Possibly a combination of two.
Would like a live on demand search capable software as opposed to always preloading caches, preferably using maps. What are you using and how good is it? There seems to be some good Android apps like this as well as Iphone apps, but the Blackberry app doesn't seem like this. Please give your opinions. Thanks

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Re: Opinion of Geocahing Software on phones.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 12:07:29 »
I use the Geocaching.com app for the iPhone. Live search capability as well as storing pre-loaded gpx files. Searching the preloaded gpx PQ's is a pain, you can only sort, not search, through them, but the ability to log from the field (with photos and trackables) is convenient at times. You can also save and send all logs later, from a wi-fi hotspot for example.

Model12 is a strong proponent of Geosphere, which is on his iTouch. I'll let him speak for it himself.

I don't think either app is available on Blackberry.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 14:06:01 »
As soon as GC.com buys Geosphere and incorporates their superior functionality into their own app, it will be THE resource for geocaching on a phone or mobile device...

Until then, the only feature that makes buying the GC.com app worthwhile (for me with an iTouch) is the 'Send All' button, which I used for the ET Trail caches. You can log your caches offline, then send them all directly to GC.com where they automatically are logged to the cache page. Much better than having to upload field notes via Geosphere or on an Oregon (which is a savings in time over on-cachepage logging anyhow.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

Nikon-Guy

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 06:09:36 »
The lack of an official  Geocaching.com app for the Blackberry has kinda irked me, but comparing the difference from what I saw on Bluelamb03's iPhone app and looking CacheSense for Blackberry.

They are practically the same.  Just a different GUI.

Cachesense will also give you real time access to Geocaching.com caches just like the Geocaching.com app for iphone and Andriod and now the new Windows 7 phone.

With one added bonus that I like, I'm able to import the GPX from my laptop/desktop into one database on a MicroSD card, therefore not having to download separate pocket queries, and looking at separate pocket queries.

Not sure about Andriod and Windows 7 phones, but I do know the iPhone, the 8 or 16 gig you have...that's it.  Load it up with all your music and movies (except for Bluelamb, who's slowly crawling out of the dark ages finally ;D, give it time, he'll put some songs on that thing) and that's all the space you got to work with.

The database that I have on my Blackberry Bold 9700 is about 9 megabytes in size (5 logs per cache, and I've removed the caches that I have found already, archived and disabled caches, why are you looking for those anyways?)  However, if I was to load my entire database from GSAK, it would probably take up the better part of a Gigabyte of space.

Cachesense also allows to log via field notes which is something I have recently discovered.  I upload the field notes to Geocaching.com, makes some tweaks to the logs and wham bam, thank you....  Well you get the point... all my logs are done in less than 5 minutes for about 20 caches find/dnfs/etc.

Field notes are great, you don't need to write out the whole log, but just some points for you to remember to write/tweak a proper log when you get back home.

I think you can do something of the same with the Geocaching.com app for iPhone as well.

Depending on who your service provider is, I know Rogers has a grace period that you upgrade your phone, 30 days or 30 minutes of talk, any time  before that, you can return your phone for something else, if it's not what you expected.

However, the downside, if you go with the iPhone and I think I remember, that you do have to buy the app, no try and buy there, from what I remember.  $10

CacheSense for Blackberry has a 30 day trial.  Then if you like it, it's $10.

Try to make it out for one of the Meet and Greet/Eat, or a Geocacher's Anonymous meeting and I'll try to be there to show you CacheSense, Bluelamb03 or 3Bearss can show you the Geocaching.com app.

There another app for blackberry, it's called BlackStar, it's free, I tried it out while out with Bluelamb one saturday morning.  The day we went west of Carleton Place.  It was okay, but I did not like the user interface on it.

My 2 cents.

Read up onCacheSense here.

But do remember, don't buy a phone for one particular app.  I prefer Blackberry for many reason, but one definitely is Blackberry Messenger which the unlimited usage is included with my plan.  I could message my friends (who have Blackberries also) in the US without being hit up for long distance texting charges.

If you're going to be an app freak, then iphone may be the way to go.  If you're not afraid of AntennaGate.   ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 06:17:28 by Nikon-Guy »

graciious

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 06:59:17 »
I bought Geosphere but haven't used it very much.  :-\  I have been leaning towards the iphone for the longest time but after a little time alone with a Samsung Galaxy S (Android based phone) I might be a switcher.  I loved my blackberry but to be honest I don't use it for any geocaching, as the internet is far to slow on it (Curve 8520 with Edge, No 4G here).  I don't use my phone for Blackberry Messenger either, as I haven't got many friends on it, or with Blackberrys.

You really should visit a few places that have live phones to get a feel for them.  If Rogers has a 30 day policy I would take advantage of that.

Sakidoo

• Global Moderator
  • Full Time Cacher
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 15:30:37 »
I use my Blackberry for paperless caching.  Cachesense has had some interesting improvements since it moved from Cacheberry to Cachesense.  I like my blackberry for many reasons which include:  at a glance, I can see the status of the last 5 finders (smiley face if found, frown if not found, ...).  It has come in handy several times.  I've also successfully geocached with my blackberry in a pinch - there is now a radar and compass which makes this possible.  It's only a matter of time before blackberry allows us to download the field notes for several caches simultaneously.  The browner (not the blackberry one but another one available on my BB, allows for a very quick hookup to the web.  Again, this has been handy at times to look up the gallery when I'm really stuck on finding a cache.  I'm not quite ready to switch to a Iphone / Itouch but I must admit that my recent experience with users leads me to believe that it has much to offer.

ritchied

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 18:15:37 »
I  have a X10 android based phone.   Sometimes I use the c:geo app which a free app for geocaching.  Its very good.  You  can get/log caches directly with 3g or download a cache if you are going to out-of-serive area.  You can also add waypoints, make projections etc.

http://www.androlib.com/android.application.carnero-cgeo-wxnF.aspx

I think the phone is amazing for all sorts of things.

JoMari

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 20:37:38 »
Not thinking so much about just purchasing just for the caching app, but would like to be able to get live in the field. Don't always plan were we end up and want to check on local caches that are not on the GPSr sometimes. Heard good things about the Android software like c-geo, but the official geocaching software is probably the same regardless of the format. Will try to make the meet and greet next week if time permits.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 23:20:32 »
I've downloaded the PiGo app for the iPhone. It 'plays' the Wherigo cartridges required for Wherigo caches.
I've found ten Wherigo caches to date, but always by borrowing an Oregon or Colorado, or following a cacher who had one.
Now I'm independent again!
I'm liking this iPhone...

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

Nikon-Guy

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 09:00:31 »
I bought Geosphere but haven't used it very much.  :-\  I have been leaning towards the iphone for the longest time but after a little time alone with a Samsung Galaxy S (Android based phone) I might be a switcher.  I loved my blackberry but to be honest I don't use it for any geocaching, as the internet is far to slow on it (Curve 8520 with Edge, No 4G here).  I don't use my phone for Blackberry Messenger either, as I haven't got many friends on it, or with Blackberrys.

You really should visit a few places that have live phones to get a feel for them.  If Rogers has a 30 day policy I would take advantage of that.

Could've upgraded to a Bold2 with 3G service.  It's pretty fast.  You might also look into that new Windows phone as well.

Remember, I think it's 30 days, but definitely 30 minutes of talk... any more than that... You have to keep the phone.

Also with Blackberry's, most information runs through the Blackberry Internet Service (BIS), which compresses most the data being sent and received by the phone.

Other phones do not have this compression... so downloading 5 MB on an iPhone or Android, is 5 MB, while it could be something like 2 MB on the BIS.

Keeper of Maps

• Baby Cacher
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 13:11:45 »
The lack of an official  Geocaching.com app for the Blackberry has kinda irked me, but comparing the difference from what I saw on Bluelamb03's iPhone app and looking CacheSense for Blackberry.
The closest thing to an "official Geocaching.com app" for the BlackBerry is Trimble's GeocacheNavigator. It allows you to search for caches near your location and submit fieldnotes that you can use to help your log the cache later. The downside is the cost.

I haven't looked at other caching apps for BBs.

Nikon-Guy

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 00:17:15 »
Yeah, the cost of Trimble, is $30, if you go through one, it's aannual payment of $30, I think from the Trimble site, but if you go through Blackberry World, for some reason it's only a one time payment.

Keeper of Maps

• Baby Cacher
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 19:40:32 »
Yeah, the cost of Trimble, is $30, if you go through one, it's aannual payment of $30, I think from the Trimble site, but if you go through Blackberry World, for some reason it's only a one time payment.
I hadn't noticed that. Hmmmm.....

TyggerBob

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 21:40:55 »
I use my Blackberry as a partner to my Garmin GPS60cx. I use both Geocache Navigator and CacheSense.  I like some features on both, but CacheSense is my favourite, I think.
I use Geosphere on my jailbroken iPod Touch with a bluetooth GPS, and that worked quite well, too, but nothing beats the realtime access to the logs, galleries and hints that the Phone apps provide.
Tyg