Author Topic: Oregon tips and tricks  (Read 10988 times)

Sakidoo

• Global Moderator
  • Full Time Cacher
Re: Oregon tips and tricks
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2011, 20:12:46 »
Thanks Portera.  Dah!  Makes sense.  I see the default.  Thx so much.
1975 is the default number that the macro provides. Just change it on the Options screen, then you can get lots. I just loaded 4800 (not that I have any hope of ever finding them ;) )

Sakidoo

• Global Moderator
  • Full Time Cacher
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2011, 10:32:54 »
Since I had my Dedale maps in my 60CsX, I first ensured that they were saved into Mapsource to be sure not to loose them.  I transferred my 60CsX chip into my Oregon and blam, all my maps were there.  I removed the chip back to my 60CsX and the maps were still there in my Oregon so I was happy.  I had however had to 'disable' the Basemap (I think it ended with DEM).  What I haven't probably achieved yet is loading the maps on an Oregon Chip (which I haven't yet received).  Hope this helps. 
I'm playing with it now.  Any idea how I can get the dedale NCC trails loaded?  I have my TOPO maps in.

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2011, 11:07:54 »
I have the maps on my Oregon, a must have for the area where I do most of my caching, just trying to figure out how to get them in to BaseCamp. 

My primary PC is a little screwed up anyways as I tried to install MapSource on to a different drive and didn't have any luck loading the NCC trails after that (yes, I even tweaked the NCC trail install scripts to account for the different directory).  Used an older computer to get Mapsource loaded and working with all my maps.  I was hoping that I'd have a fresh start so to speak with the Basecamp software on my primary computer.

Sakidoo

• Global Moderator
  • Full Time Cacher
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2011, 11:28:38 »
Oopsie.  I might have to reread the owner's manual.   What is BaseCamp?  A newbie question for sure  :-[
I have the maps on my Oregon, a must have for the area where I do most of my caching, just trying to figure out how to get them in to BaseCamp. 

My primary PC is a little screwed up anyways as I tried to install MapSource on to a different drive and didn't have any luck loading the NCC trails after that (yes, I even tweaked the NCC trail install scripts to account for the different directory).  Used an older computer to get Mapsource loaded and working with all my maps.  I was hoping that I'd have a fresh start so to speak with the Basecamp software on my primary computer.

Sakidoo

• Global Moderator
  • Full Time Cacher
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2011, 11:54:44 »
Gosh, I'm a little embarassed with all my questions but I really don't want to mess up my unit.   So here is my latest:
When my Oregon is connected to my computer via my USB cable, I do not get the main menu as shown in P5 of the following link.   http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Power#FAQ-P1.) What kind of batteries does the Garmin Oregon use? Instead my screen displays 'Garmin' and a picture of a CPU connected to the Oregon.  I checked the set-up but didn't see the setting that could be changed.  Has anyone figured out the change required?  Thx

missbug

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2011, 12:02:38 »
mine always and only shows the CPU and garmin logo when connected via USB to my computer. when i plug it into my car charge adapter (also USB), it will show the main menu and i can utilize the GPS in the car. i cannot use it while it is connected to my computer.

Green Frog

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2011, 12:32:20 »
....... Instead my screen displays 'Garmin' and a picture of a CPU connected to the Oregon. 

Mine, too (Oregon 400T), that's perfectly normal.  I routinely use the USB only to download caches from GSAK.

When I got a chirp though, I had to download software from Garmin.  Pokaroo clued me in about there being a separate directory for the Oregon.

You should see that directory when you look in the hierarchy under the "Explore" Windows function.

I can't advise further, due to lack of knowledge, but my little experience above showed me that there is a whole new array of things you can do when you USB-connect your Oregon to the computer. 

I am sure that someone knowledgable will come to your aid.  Good luck with it.

Green Frog

Curious George

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2011, 12:34:55 »
From P9 on the same link quoted above:

You can change the Oregon's behavior when it is plugged into a cable that isn't designed for charging it(i.e. a computer or USB power adapter) by changing the Interface setting to Garmin Spanner (Setup>System>Interface). With this setting enabled the Oregon will ask if you want to go into USB mass storage mode when you connect to the cable. If you answer "No" the Oregon will remain on, work like a GPS and draw power from the computer's USB port. You cannot transfer data to/from the Oregon in this mode, it is primarily used for tracking applications.

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2011, 13:19:29 »
it is primarily used for tracking applications.

I use this mode all the time when my GPS is plugged in to the car.

Curious George

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2011, 13:30:13 »
Yeah that wording was just cut and paste from the Wiki. There are all kinds of good reasons why you'd want to be able to operate the unit as per normal while being powered by a USB device. Saving battery power while being in your car is a great one. Even just being powered from the computer while puttering around to learn the screens etc. at home is a good one. It's nice to have the option to set it either way.

Nikon-Guy

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2011, 17:47:10 »
Oopsie.  I might have to reread the owner's manual.   What is BaseCamp?  A newbie question for sure  :-[

BaseCamp is like MapSource, except with 3-D topo.

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2011, 18:30:17 »

BaseCamp is like MapSource, except with 3-D topo.

... and it runs like a dog with one leg on my older laptop...  :P

Sakidoo

• Global Moderator
  • Full Time Cacher
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2011, 21:23:48 »
Thanks MissBug.  I'll try that in my car tomorrow.  Very useful and comforting that my unit is operating as expected.  Thanks alot.  S.
mine always and only shows the CPU and garmin logo when connected via USB to my computer. when i plug it into my car charge adapter (also USB), it will show the main menu and i can utilize the GPS in the car. i cannot use it while it is connected to my computer.

Sakidoo

• Global Moderator
  • Full Time Cacher
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2011, 21:27:00 »
Thanks CuriousGeorge.  I probably misunterstood.  From your description, I will need to change the settings when I'm connecting my unit in the car.  I'ts certainly a good way to learn the screens at home too.  Thx
Yeah that wording was just cut and paste from the Wiki. There are all kinds of good reasons why you'd want to be able to operate the unit as per normal while being powered by a USB device. Saving battery power while being in your car is a great one. Even just being powered from the computer while puttering around to learn the screens etc. at home is a good one. It's nice to have the option to set it either way.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 21:28:36 by kirok »

Curious George

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2011, 15:51:38 »
Hmmm, a mystery.

I don't use GSAK. I moved my GPX files from internal memory to the SD Card (in the appopriate GPX folder). All the geocaches still show up in the GPS no problem, but when I connect to my computer and fire up Basecamp, they don't display there.