Author Topic: Oregon tips and tricks  (Read 10875 times)

Starkiller

Re: Oregon tips and tricks
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2011, 16:29:40 »
Another Oregon Tip/Trick:

Oregons can read *.img files in their native format. When planning to cache in the US, I was frantically researching how to transfer IMG files into gps map files... and then I realized that I can very easily copy and paste the maps I want into the unit, and I'm set. Maps can be found at the "open streen map" which has international topo maps. The quality was quite good!

jingshen

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2011, 13:04:25 »
Could someone tell me 1) how to turn off the notification that my Oregon gives that I have reached destination : I have turned off the sound, but I still get a message on the screen and I have to tap OK to get the navigation screen back,
2) is there a way to reset the photo counter to zero?

Thanks

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2011, 14:33:17 »
Just curoius to know how and how many caches people are loading on to their Oregons?

I find the unit a little slow at times but I believe it is because I have 3500 caches in one file loaded at any given time.  Yes, I know that is excessive.  I use GSAK Garmin export to dump my 125KM circle DB to my Oregon (covers home, work and my parents place, all of the places I'm likely to go caching spontaneously).  I've read that the Oregon can support up to 200 GPX files but that it prefers smaller files rather than the one 24Meg file I currently use.  I like to use GSAK so I can get the corrected co-ords for puzzles/multies that I've worked on.

If I know I am going somewhere specific I'll try to just load a smaller area but I find that difficult to do quickly in GSAK but I do get better performance.

I've been thinking that I should change my pocket queries to have one set that just grabs trads and dump those files straight to the GPSr (and maybe GSAK) and then have another set of queries I load in to GSAK for everything else and export them with Garmin Export macro.

Any suggestions?

graciious

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2011, 21:15:31 »
filters in GSAK were a mystery to me until I started playing around with them. Now I have no issues. I find a spot that I want to hit on the map and look up a single cache in that area.  Then in GSAK I set that single cache as my center point and load 10km's around it.

This pretty much gives me more than I can handle in most cases, and has reduced the size of my GPX file significantly.

Following the upload to my GPS, I do a total upload of all my traditionals to my ipod/tomtom/android device and if I happen to go outside the 10km area that my GPS is loaded with, I can refer to an alternate device and input coordinates manually.

Sakidoo

• Global Moderator
  • Full Time Cacher
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2011, 16:52:43 »
I load about 4300 caches at a time (on average).  It works fine and I don't particularly find it slow when caching.  Sometimes, it takes a while for the loading to finish but I do something else while it's loading.  I have an 8MB data card so really, I'm not using any part of it.    We can talk more at the Workshop this week.   Cheers, SakidooSue
Just curoius to know how and how many caches people are loading on to their Oregons?

I find the unit a little slow at times but I believe it is because I have 3500 caches in one file loaded at any given time.  Yes, I know that is excessive.  I use GSAK Garmin export to dump my 125KM circle DB to my Oregon (covers home, work and my parents place, all of the places I'm likely to go caching spontaneously).  I've read that the Oregon can support up to 200 GPX files but that it prefers smaller files rather than the one 24Meg file I currently use.  I like to use GSAK so I can get the corrected co-ords for puzzles/multies that I've worked on.

If I know I am going somewhere specific I'll try to just load a smaller area but I find that difficult to do quickly in GSAK but I do get better performance.

I've been thinking that I should change my pocket queries to have one set that just grabs trads and dump those files straight to the GPSr (and maybe GSAK) and then have another set of queries I load in to GSAK for everything else and export them with Garmin Export macro.

Any suggestions?