Author Topic: Pocket Queries  (Read 3159 times)

ottawabirdbrain

Re: Pocket Queries
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 11:22:31 »
I use pocket queries that limit themselves to non-mystery caches in Ontario (max 500).  I just pick a a location east, south and west.  Separately I dump solved mysteries from GASK.  That leaves plenty of room to add caches for locations I might be traveling to (including gatineau).

Sakidoo

• Global Moderator
  • Full Time Cacher
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 20:36:39 »
Hi Portera,  I run my 'older cache' PQ once per week.  That seems to work for me.  I run traditionals and puzzle and multis daily.  When a new cache appears, it's then in my next day's PQ (I don't run for an FTF as my FTF's are usually by chance rather than by design).  I also subscribe to running PQ by years (I recall Geoaventurier's comment that he did that too).  Hope this makes sense.   I must say I find it intriguing that someone runs a macro that updates GSAK automatically.  I may explore that some time.
So I've been trying to think what the optimal strategy is for actually running my queries. I think my more recent date should run every day (or so), but how often should I run the earlier date queries?

goobiegoo

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 16:30:33 »
I've recently adopted the strategies identified in these posts and now have 10 PQ's (each with less than 500 caches) running every 2 days to capture all caches "Not Found by Me", "Not Placed by Me", and "Enabled" within 100km of "Wave the Flag"! I then have GSAK use the "GetMail" feature to get all the PQ's from a dedicated gmail address that receives nothing but these PQs.

Great system so far... however, I'm curious to see how you guys manage puzzle caches using this method in GSAK. I almost find it a waste that all the puzzle caches are included here since I've solved so few of them... Do you guys filter out the puzzle ones except for the ones you've solved (and add corrected coordinates)?

:D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 07:36:10 by goobiegoo »

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 17:45:23 »
For puzzles, I get them all, and then when I solve them, I add corrected coordinates. Then I use the following "Custom Cache Name" setting %correct=@ %typ1:%name, so I see an @ at the start of the cache name when I have solved it. This way I know on the street if I can just go there, or if I haven't solved it yet.

If you have no plan to solve them, then you might want to try to create a filter to exclude the unsolved ones. I have not done this, though as I mention it, it sounds like a good idea.

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 20:36:52 »
Do you guys filter out the puzzle ones except for the ones you've solved (and add corrected coordinates)?

I guess it will depend on your GPSr. I do add corrected coordinates to solved puzzles in GSAK and as I have a 60CSx, I use POIs. I created a macro to export the caches in POIs and the corrected coordinates get a special icon (the same than in GSAK, a black exclamation mark on a yellow background). That way, when I drive by a solved puzzle, it's very easy to visualize on the screen and I know I have to stop to grab it (but hey, most of the time, I just drive to them, not by them).  ;D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 06:52:05 by cron »

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 22:04:15 »
I run a PQ for trads, and another for everything else (except puzzles). Puzzle caches get worked on, and when solved, get downloaded into GSAK into a separate dbase, where I use the corrected coords to lock in the final so it can never be overwritten. I then add HOW the puzzle was solved in the notes field.

When I send them to my Map60 I use %drop2 %dif1a%ter1a%typ1%con1 %correct in the waypoint name field, which puts a Y after the GC, dif/ter/type/con info. That appears as, ie; VYAT 2ATS Y on the screen.

That way I can see that the coordinates are the solved ones (in case some other unsolved puzzle gets manually added in the field). Besides, only SOLVED puzzles are on my gpsr anyhow...

BTW, VYAT 2ATS Y translates to; GCVYAT, difficulty 2, terrain 1.5, traditional, small, corrected coords.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

goobiegoo

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2011, 11:21:12 »
This is awesome!

I have a Map78s which lists the full cache name so I've simply adopted Portera's suggestion of adding a @ before any solved puzzles :)

Once all the PQ data is updated in GSAK, I run a filter to hide all "Unknown" caches. Then I go to GPS > Send Waypoints and send it all to my GPSr. This adds a file called "Geocaches.gpx" to the GPX folder on my GPSr.

From there, I remove the previous filter. I then add another filter so that only caches with "Corrected Coordinates" are shown (remove the "no" in the "other" tab). This gives me all my puzzles that I've solved along with any Multi's that I've added corrected coordinates for... *cough cough* Binthairs *cough cough*. From there, GPS > Send Waypoints again, and this time uncheck default and change the "Name" field to "@%Name" and the file name to "CorGeocaches.gpx". I learned the hard way that if you don't change the name, your other file will get overwritten on the GPSr and you'll only have the corrected coordinate caches on your GPSr.