Author Topic: Saturday, February 5 - Gung Hei Fat Choy 2011!  (Read 6995 times)

GreyingJay

Saturday, February 5 - Gung Hei Fat Choy 2011!
« on: January 01, 2011, 17:10:21 »
Well folks, it's that time of year again!  February 3, 2011 is Chinese New Year -- the year of the Rabbit.  Nikon Guy and myself are once again pleased to host the Gung Hei Fat Choy lunch event.

The event listing is: http://coord.info/GC2M4QE

Date: Saturday, February 5, 2011
Time: 12:00pm noon
Location: Emerald Buffet (formerly Du Barry), on Selkirk Drive in Vanier.  A Chinese buffet with plenty of selection including lots of dim sum, dumplings, and your standard Chinese (and Canadian Chinese) fare. I think this is THE best Chinese buffet in Ottawa.

Pricing and payment: Ay, here's the rub.  I booked the party room today, and gave them a deposit to secure the room.  They were also willing to offer us free tea and soft drinks. The manager's face noticably fell, however, when I mentioned that my group was going to each be paying individually.

I've also received feedback from past events that people were irritated with how long it took to get their payment through (and understandable, given so many people trying to pay the waiters).  Martin and I talked about selling tickets but I don't really want to go through that hassle, and I doubt you guys do either.

So.... Taking into account all these factors, I propose the following: I will pay the restaurant in one bill.  This will keep things simple with the servers, keeps us on the manager's good side, and gives us free drinks.  You can pay me (cash only please) at your convenience, and that will allow you to leave when you need to without waiting for the servers.

The costs to you will be, including HST and gratuity:

Adults: $15.00 per person
Children (5 to 12 years old): $10.00 per person
Children (2 to 4 years old): $5.00 per person

I hope that this is amenable to all of you.  I think this is the easiest solution that keeps everybody happy: all of you, me, the waiters, and the manager.  Please note that to keep the numbers simple, I have rounded down.  This means I am not making any money off the collection.  (E.g. Adult buffet price = $12.99 plus tax and 10% gratuity = $16.15).  Consider it my New Year's gift to the CCC!

Looking forward to seeing you all at the event!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 17:57:07 by GreyingJay »

Garmin Gal

Re: Saturday, February 5 - Gung Hei Fat Choy 2011!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 18:04:15 »
That sounds great!  We'll try to pay you ahead of time so that you're not out at all on our behalf.  We're very much looking forward to the event.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 18:58:02 »
I'm in, and I'll also bring cache cash and can pay in advance if needed.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

lacwitt

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 19:40:29 »
I've already marked it on the calendar and will get the money to you before hand.  We do, after all live in the same part of town.

GreyingJay

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 21:05:13 »
Thanks guys. I'm not worried about being paid in advance (although if you want, you can settle your bill immediately at the restaurant so you can eat with peace of mind :) )  The deposit was only $100 and it was on my credit card, so I don't feel like I have a hole in my pocket.

Nikon-Guy

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 11:43:37 »
Jeez... is the restaurant going to start being like that now?  We've been going there for the last 3 years without a problem....

SigsPig

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 19:26:24 »
I'm glad that I gave that gentle elbow on FB about this event. After almost 7 yrs in the Capital, this will be the 1st time we'll be able to attend. Looking forward to it.
Now the question is where to intercept you two  :-\

GreyingJay

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 23:57:08 »
Jeez... is the restaurant going to start being like that now?  We've been going there for the last 3 years without a problem....

Well, it's really down to: You can all pay your own bills, but be subjected to possible wait times because 50-100 people will be going through 2, 3, 4 servers, and pay regular price (e.g. drinks are extra), or we can do this, and get a bit of a deal and it saves you the hassle.  Or, really, trades one hassle for another.

The manager made it pretty clear that she preferred the "one bill" route.  I thought it might work out better given the feedback we've received from you guys in the past (specifically about wait times).

I'd like it if people would be willing to give frank feedback: if you don't like this plan, please let me know (contact me personally if you prefer).  So far it seems like people are willing to try this out, but if it turns out this is not the preferred approach, I'll address it with the manager again.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 14:35:04 by GreyingJay »

Nikon-Guy

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 14:01:24 »
Well, this was sorta the route that I discussed with you.

I sent you a private message on this, I would like to discuss this a bit further with you.

Thanks for talking to the manager though.

narcissa

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 23:25:44 »
This plan sounds good to me.

Nikon-Guy

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 06:01:51 »
Kevin, is there a GC# for this event yet?

GreyingJay

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 11:22:20 »
The event link is:

http://coord.info/GC2M4QE
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 17:55:43 by GreyingJay »

GreyingJay

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 17:55:11 »
The event is now published!

Looking forward to seeing you all there!  ;D

(Incidentally... I haven't seen any notification emails.  At all.  Weird...)

missbug

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 11:02:00 »
i got a notification for it.

GreyingJay

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 11:26:11 »
I have been receiving notifications for other published caches in the area, but have not seen any owner notifications including the publication of my cache listing nor any of the "will attend" notes that people are logging.

Strange!