Author Topic: CacheSense for Blackberry  (Read 3844 times)

Nikon-Guy

CacheSense for Blackberry
« on: January 04, 2011, 01:11:50 »
After looking through a few Blackberry Apps, I have finally settled on Cachesense, free 30 day trial.

If you like it, buy it for $10USD.

It does support online and offline functions.  I personally create a GPX file from GSAK and place it in the Documents section of the Blackberry's media card (I use an 8GB card, so space is not going to be a problem, though, the larger it is, the longer it's going to take).

I'll help continually update this thread as I go along to help anyone that wishes to use CacheSense.  However, by no means am I an expert at this and if anyone else has any tips, it would be welcome.

For now, I will talk about the basics, importing a GPX file for Offline use.

I generally will export the last 5 logs, remove any archived caches, generally, just the ones that I have not found.  This will keep the data file smaller.

Either I will e-mail it to myself (while connected to a Wifi network, to save myself the bandwidth, since I only have 500 megs per month) or I connect it via USB cable.

Save it in the documents folder on the media card.

Now, how I have Cachesense set up is to store it's database on the media card as well, so not to take up the Blackberry's internal memory.

While in Cachesense:

•   Press the Blackberry menu button (left side of the scroll ball or optical pad).
•   Scroll to Database and select it.
•   Browse or create a directory on the SDCard ie.: file:///SDCard/CacheSense/Databases/
•   Press the ball or the optical pad and select save
•   While you’re here, you might as well change the directory for you photos that you will take in Cachesense.  Scroll to Photo Options and select it.
•   I have choosen to “Keep photos in folder”, “Use geocache subfolders” and the folder/directory as: file:///SDCard/CacheSense/Pictures/
•   I have “Keep Original” unchecked, since that will just keep another copy in your main photos directory.
•   And I have checked “Rename photos”, this will rename the photos with the GC# with date and time in the file name.
•   Save this as well.

Now that you have set up CacheSense’s basic directories, you want to import that GPX file from your documents folder.

From the main screen of CacheSense

•   Press the Blackberry button and select Import GPX/LOC…
•   Navigate to SDCard/Blackberry/documents
•   Select the GPX file (whatever you named it, I have it as cachesense.gpx)
•   You can have “Delete source file” checked, if you wish, but I don’t, just in case I screw up somewhere and need to import it again.
•   You can either Merge with Existing Data or Replace Existing Data, I have choosen to Replace.
•   Depending on the size of your GPX file, it will take a bit to Analyze and Process the GPX file.
•   Once completed, you will see a list of caches on the main screen.

That's it for now, next time, I'll talk about searching for a specific cache later.

qtman

Re: CacheSense for Blackberry
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 17:23:01 »
Thanks Nikon-Gut
I was having problems with my databases on my BB.
I see where I made my error.

Bob

Nikon-Guy

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 17:38:11 »
Thanks Nikon-Gut

Your welcome?   ???

qtman

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 18:06:38 »
OOPS ;D  (Nikon Guy)

My bad.

Sakidoo

• Global Moderator
  • Full Time Cacher
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 21:35:46 »
Thanks Nikon-Guy.  An excellent description.  I'm eager to try it out.   Thanks a bunch ;D

Nikon-Guy

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 01:45:10 »
Okay, now that you have your database of caches loaded.

Interestingly enough on my Crackberry, it’ll actually show the closest cache to my home location.

But you’re not at home when you are looking for caches.

So, let’s say you want to look up a cache, simple, if you know the name, with the newest version (3.5) that was just released on January 2nd, it’ll be available on Blackberry World in a couple of days or you can go to http://ota.cachesense.com on your Blackberry browser to download the newest version.

Scroll to the top where it says “Find:” and type in a partial name.  Note: If you type a G, it’ll automatically think that you are looking for a GC#.  Also that you have to know what the actual title is.

Example: Let’s use my traditional cache GC26M4D “A Birdie told me to go to the CSRA” (yes, I'm plugging my cache, yes, go and find it!)  Chances are, you’re not going to remember the GC# or the entire title of the cache.

If you type in ‘Birdie’, on my database, it will show the closest cache that starts with ‘Birdie’.  In my case, it shows up as ‘Birdie B&B’.  I would have to type in ‘A Birdie’ to pull up the cache that we were looking for.

Another method of searching:
•   Press the Blackberry button
•   Scroll to Search
•   Type in the partial name, in this case ‘Birdie’
•   Have the ‘Search Title & Name’ checked, optionally you can check ‘Search Description’ and/or ‘Search Owner’.
•   Scroll to and select ‘Find’
•   In my case, it went to the first closest cache that had the word ‘Birdie’ in it.  Which is ‘A Little Birdie Went to Church’.  This is not the cache we want, so, press the Blackberry button again, and scroll to ‘Search Again’.
•   Repeat this until the cache you want comes up.  For me, because of Model12’s Birdie caches, it took me about 15-20 ‘Search Again’ repetitions to get the cache I was looking for.

Finally, and probably the easiest, however, you will need to be outside for this, also be within a certain vicinity of the cache and have a GPS equipped Blackberry.  Yeah, there are some still out there that don’t have a GPS:
•   Press the Blackberry button
•   Scroll to ‘Nearest Caches’
•   You can actually search Nearest to GPS Location, Manual Entry, Saved Location or a Selected Cache.
•   Select the distance
•   Select number of caches (Show me( caches)), default is 20
•   You can check ‘Include found caches’ if you wish.
•   You can also check ‘Search geocaching.com’  (this will take your Blackberry Online, therefore use data), if you know it’s in your database somewhere, uncheck this option.
•   Then scroll to and select OK.
•   A list of the 20 closest caches will show up in your search.

Well, that’s all the search options that I have played with, again, if anyone else has tried something else, we’d like to hear from you.

BTW, if you plan on taking you Blackberry out with you caching, I really recommend you protect your Smartphone with an Otterbox, see this thread: http://canadascapitalcachers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=436.0
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 02:08:23 by Nikon-Guy »

Nikon-Guy

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 16:21:10 »
Oh geez... I just realized this...

I was trying to export my field notes (which I'll talk about later), but when I tried, it wouldn't give me the directory on the SDCard to export it to....

After about 20 minutes of trying to figure out why Cachesense wouldn't export to this directory, I found that it was always defaulting to file:///users/...   When it should be going to file:///SDcard/...

Turns out that it's because I had my Blackberry connected to the computer while I was doing the export.

Doh! :o :o

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 09:30:49 »
While I was away up near Timmins, I had no internet other than my Blackberry. I decided to give CacheSense a try, and was quite impressed with it since I first looked at it a while ago, when it was still called CacheBerry. I was able to retrieve a PocketQuery, and load it, and on my BB Curve 9300, the GPS seems to be quite a bit more powerful than my old one. A day after I had loaded this app, they released the new version that includes direct API access to Geocaching.com. This makes getting pictures and logs very easy, and also allows you to do a "quick-Log" when you find a cache. I think there's still room for enhancements on the logging side, but it did help me discover an unfound cache 6 km from where I was staying. Up there. that's like having a cache placed outside your front door [:)]

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna spring for the $10 to register it this time. I think it could be very handy to have in my back pocket - so to speak.

The red-haired witch

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 14:28:30 »
I couldn't find a list of which Blackberry models could run this latest version of CacheSense, so I tried it.  I installed it on my Pearl, and it looked like it was working... but every time I try to open a cache page, it makes my phone freeze.  I guess this phone is just too old for new apps  :-\

TyggerBob

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 21:36:29 »
I have a 9800 Torch and have both Geocache Navigator (bought first) and now have CacheSense)
I switch between them depending on what I'm looking for. GN has a "Quick Cache" button on the front page which will give you the caches that are right near where you are, which I like, but over all, I find CS locks in faster, especially in Network assisted,  and I love the feature set.  It's makes a good backup to my Garmin GPS60CX, and I love the paperless aspect.
I also like the fact that I can import GPX files in CacheSense right from my emails.  That's a big plus for me.
I find the GPS in the Torch gives surprisingly good accuracy, until I go under an kind of cover at which point it goes all wonky. 
Tyg