Author Topic: Satellite Imagery  (Read 1367 times)

imercator

Satellite Imagery
« on: January 07, 2011, 09:42:51 »
I was considering subscribing to the BirdsEye satellite imagery service but was not too impressed with the reviews I was reading about it. Besides being a paid subscription service it requires the use of BaseCamp which is not one Garmin's best pieces of software. After a little searching yesterday I came across a great tutorial on the New Brunswick geocaching site.

The series can be found here:  http://www.cacheupnb.com/archives/968

It features an opensource software called "Mobile Atlas Creator" that is hosted on SourceForge. The software is compact, runs from a folder, meaning it doesn't require an install and offers several dozen map sources to build from. It creates a garmin custom KMZ file that overlays whatever maps you have enabled on your GPSr. It works for the Colorado, Dakota, Oregon and I believe the 62 series units.

I created a small satellite image yesterday and tried running it both from an Oregon internal memory and from the SD card. Worked great both ways although it did slow the map redraws down a little. The KMZ file installs in the Garmin/CustomMaps folder which you can create on the SD card if it's not there already.

Here is the tutorial:
http://www.cacheupnb.com/resources/guides/satellite-imagery/satellite-imagery-on-your-garmin-gps-part-iii-mobile-atlas-creator-video-tutorial

It took me about about half an hour to watch the tutorial, download the software, create an image and get it onto the Oregon.

Impressed with the results so far and you can't beat the price.

Cheers and Good Luck

dcmg

Re: Satellite Imagery
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 12:14:44 »
I have used this before and had posted on the old forums. I like it, but the main drawback (or is it a Birdseye advantage) is the number of tiles that you can add of custom maps. If you know of the specific area you are going to visit on a day, then you can create the detailed area before you go and transfer to your GPSr. With Basecamp and Birdseye, you should be able to transfer as much as your memory card will hold (much larger than say a small area of the Gat).

That being said MAC is very easy to use (once you follow the tutorial) and is quick to generate a new custom map.

--dcmg

Curious George

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 15:09:49 »
A few nights ago I read about an image compiler that will stitch image tiles together into a larger image (while keeping the georeferencing intact)...that would allow you to get around the restriction on the number of custom maps I think. I will see if I can find the link again.

Starkiller

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 15:58:49 »
I have been using MAC for close to a year now. I think it works great, although after a recent Garmin patch on startup it seems to always say my map tiles are too large and won't display (but they always work fine).

There is more information on the wiki, but you can use about 100 tiles. That is actually quite a few- just draw the box of a place you plan to cache, or you frequently travel, and you're set. I organize my KMZ files in folders on google earth, and I can save collections of imagery into a single themed kmz.

Alternatively, if I am worried about how many kmz files I am running, I sometimes change the extension from *.kmz to *.off.

Keeper of Maps

• Baby Cacher
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 16:19:28 »
That looks like a great solution! Thanks for posting the link. :)