Author Topic: Circular Saw, borrow  (Read 2965 times)

Nikon-Guy

Circular Saw, borrow
« on: January 15, 2011, 17:10:27 »
Out of all my tools, this is the only one that I do not have, that and a compound mitre saw.

I don't do a lot of wood working and don't really see the need to purchase one.

Does anyone possibly have a spare one I could borrow or one that they wouldn't need for a couple of weeks?

I plan on building a DVD storage rack, the prices of some of these racks are tremendously high.

Thanks.

JoMari

Re: Circular Saw, borrow
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 23:10:25 »
I can lend you circular saw, just let me know. I live in the south keys area, but can meet elsewhere if it helps.

Joey

Geo-Cat!

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 06:05:20 »
I have one also.  You are welcome to borrow it.

Nikon-Guy

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 21:28:39 »
Thanks guys...  I'll let you know when I'll be calling.

Still drawing up plans, thinking of materials and such....

GPComd

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 23:01:57 »
If you also need a compound mitre and stand, let me know.
Not using it too much this winter.

The red-haired witch

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 00:22:04 »

And if, in the end, you decide it's too much trouble, there is always the "assemble pre-cut and drilled pieces" solution  ;) 
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/07305310

Nikon-Guy

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 20:54:52 »

And if, in the end, you decide it's too much trouble, there is always the "assemble pre-cut and drilled pieces" solution  ;) 
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/07305310

Looked at that one...  However, I figured, I would need about 5 to 10 of those racks in order to hold all my DVD's.

I got almost the equivalent of 750 dvds...  Box sets, xbox games, etc.

Ducky

• Baby Cacher
  • HEY... and where do you think you're going!?!?
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 21:22:43 »

GreyingJay

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 12:01:36 »
IKEA used to sell their BESTA series shelves with a 20cm depth in addition to the current 40cm depth offering.  I've got a collection of 300-400 DVDs and CDs that just barely fits in one of those BESTA shelves.  Unfortunately that's all the space I've allocated so I'm starting to run out of space again.

Keep in mind that if you buy sheet goods at Home Depot, they can do cutting for you on the panel saw. I think the first 3 cuts are free, and they charge something like $1/cut after that.  Sometimes you get a nice guy who doesn't bother charging.

Accuracy varies, though. One day they were bang on, another day there was up to 1/4" variance. That said, the same will be true of doing rip cuts yourself with a circular saw.  I'm not very accurate freehand so I use a straightedge guide clamped to the work piece, offset by the same distance as the saw blade to the edge of the base plate.

Taoiseach

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 12:59:32 »
Keep in mind that if you buy sheet goods at Home Depot, they can do cutting for you on the panel saw. I think the first 3 cuts are free, and they charge something like $1/cut after that. 

It's 2 cuts free

Sometimes you get a nice guy who doesn't bother charging.

He doesn't work there anymore  :D

The red-haired witch

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 09:59:34 »
Looked at that one...  However, I figured, I would need about 5 to 10 of those racks in order to hold all my DVD's.

Well, yes, I do have 8 of them.  What can I say, I guess I like building those things...

Didn't buy them all at once though, some I've had so long that they used to hold VHS tapes  ::)

If you need to reshelf your whole collection at once, building a bigger unit makes sense.

There's always the retro-student look... piles of bricks holding 2"x6" planks.  Very modular and expandable :D

narcissa

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 11:34:34 »
Don't overlook the durability and cheerful colours you can find with milk crates!