Author Topic: paperless options  (Read 2374 times)

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
paperless options
« on: August 13, 2010, 10:18:56 »
some people have upgraded to the paperless GPS units.  For those who have not a few options are here:

Smartphone apps
palm pilots with cachemate - can be bought on ebay really cheap  cachemated download again for a fee
   I myself have used m505 and TX with cachemate.  The m500 series can be found really cheap on ebay under 30$
ipods- you can transfer cache info to the ipods (some one who knows more please post the info)

** Please add to this thread if you are using something else or have more info **

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

PhotoCrasher

Re: paperless options
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 11:38:54 »
I have been using cachemate for years with my old Zire31. I think it is a great tool and plan on using it until my Zire dies.

The only complaint I have about it is that there are no attributes. There have been many times where I'll be hunting for a cache in the winter only to find out when I get home that it is not winter friendly.

I would give this product 4.5 out of 5.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:49:05 by PhotoCrasher »

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 11:45:50 »
I used a Palm Pilot and cachemate for years and liked it. Now I use an iTouch and GeoSphere and find it excellent, especially the upload field notes option.

Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

lacwitt

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 18:27:11 »
I too use an iPod with geosphere and I love it.  I use it for almost everyc cache I look for, and it's saved me from frustration on more than a few occasions.  I also like the fact that I can use it to locate caches near me even without a wifi connection.  Best 7$ I've spent so far.

SigsPig

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 07:39:26 »
I've been using a palm pilot as well; no wifi however. There is a way around the attribute problem however, it does involve checking every cache on your rate & adding the attribute your interested in into the hint or description.
Not the best solution. There's always adding the terrain/difficulty rating to your gps but I didn't like that route.

jingshen

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 18:45:15 »
I have been using an Asus A696 with GCzII since last february. GCzII has worked very well, providing me with all the information I need: it displays all of the Cache info that appears in the PQ, static Google maps, attributes, logs. It can handle field notes, although I have not used this feature. Caches can be downloaded from geocaching.com or can be loaded from PQs or GSAK exported GPX. The Asus has bluetooth and wireless so it is pretty convenient. I am not very happy with the GPSr (too imprecise) in this unit so I back it up with a Triton 500.

Sakidoo

• Global Moderator
  • Full Time Cacher
Blackberry - Cachesense
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 16:33:09 »
I've been using my blackberry steadily for about 1 year for paperless caching.  The software that Blackberry uses is is 'Cachesense' (cachesense.com).  It has been upgraded from Cacheberry.  Cachesense allows you to: a)  load pocket queries   b) attach notes that can be uploaded to gc.com  3) view the status of the last five finders  4)  view attributes, difficulty and terrain ratings.    I've also used my blackberry to find caches using the 'radar' and 'compass' functions to find caches when my GPS was in the hospital.   It was pretty precise even in the Gatineau Park.    You need to upload CacheSense into your Blackberry and onto your PC (to upload GPX files).  I'd be happy to demo and discuss at an event.  
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 17:32:54 by Sakidoo »