Author Topic: GEO website is temporarily down  (Read 2675 times)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Re: GEO website is temporarily down
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 12:19:53 »
1220 hrs and all is good once again!  ;D

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

graciious

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 12:56:41 »
It's up and down for me.. I was posting a message there this morning and then the last few hours I haven't been able to access the forums.

missbug

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 16:08:35 »
works for me again right now  :D

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 20:11:45 »
Let this be a lesson to all who own websites: renew your domain name early!

Same thing happened with one of my websites last week.  I forgot to renew it, it started to get removed from DNS servers but that took a while to propagate.  Even after I renewed the domain, it took a while to get back up again for everyone, and Google dropped us in its search results for a few days.  Oops.

I have learned a few things:

1) Like you say, renew early. I was unaware that this was an annual fee. Now I am
2) If your Hosting Provider sends you a renewal notice on Sunday saying it's due on Monday, pay it anyhow, even though they may have been idiots
3) Common sense is not that common for hosting providers
4) Having some puny little starter hosting plan does not put you on the "immediate callback list" when you complain.
5) Losing your domain registration is the gift that keeps on giving...

If you can't get to our site, I apologize, but it seems that time heals this problem.

I have changed one term to be more accurate as Kirok pointed out...  ;)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 06:13:45 by portera »

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 21:28:08 »
Personally, I always like to keep my domain name registrations separate from my hosting providers.   Since I know how to configure my own DNS (and can host them myself in a pinch if required), I prefer to not have my domain "lorded over me" by my hosting provider when renewal time comes.  By having them separate, I can move my site anytime I want an cut my hosting provider out of it if I have issues with them.  I also like to have my vital domain names set to auto-renew on a credit card to avoid them expiring without notice.

Just so that people understand the differences and get the terminology right when discussing these topics in the future, here is some quick info.  I've simplified the explanations A LOT, so you tech savvy people out there who might cringe at this, look away.  ;)

Internet Service Provider  (ISP) - This is the organization that gives you connectivity to the internet.  Rogers.  Bell.  Videotron.  Teksavvy.   etc...  

Hosting Provider - This is the organization that "hosts" your website.   This is where "your files and programs live" that make up the content of your website / forum / etc...     Canada's Capital Cachers for example, is hosted by (lives on servers at) a company called A2HOSTING

Domain Name Registrar - This is an organization that registers the "ownership" of your internet domain name.  canadascapitalcachers.ca uses "Internic.ca" as our registrar.  Like a corporate name, or brand name, etc...  domain names need to be renewed regularly, or they expire and can be reused by others.  

Domain Name Service (DNS) - This is like an address book for the internet.    When you register your domain, you need to tell the registrar what your "address" is on the internet, and it then propagates to all the DNS servers across the globe so they can all quickly "lookup" where your site "lives"   Your domain name is converted to the IP address of the server where your site is hosted, so your browser knows how to get there.  Think of it this way.  If I say "GCTFGQ", you probably know that it's a geocache, but where is it?  If you "look it up", you get "N 45° 23.905 W 075° 40.777".  NOW you know how to get there.  So, when you ask your browser to go to "canadascapitalcachers.ca", it has no idea where that is.   It goes to your DNS server, which returns "216.119.132.9", and now your browser knows how to find the website.

All this can be provided by the same company if you so choose, but the "keeping all your eggs in one basket" rule applies.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 21:39:55 by kirok »