Author Topic: Looking for NY State Topo  (Read 1322 times)

imercator

Looking for NY State Topo
« on: February 15, 2011, 18:51:29 »
I'm heading down to NY in a few weeks and am looking for some decent free topo maps. GPSFileDepot has a whack of them here:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/ny

I feel like a kid in a candy shop though and can't decide what to choose. I need roads and trails as a minimum. I've noticed that most seem to be transparent overlays which I assume would still allow me to route with City Navigator.

Does any one have any experience with any of these?

Cheers

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Re: Looking for NY State Topo
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 22:15:48 »
I tried California Topo from this site. It was good but had no road labels and could not route.

But it was free...

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

missbug

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 12:58:37 »
i have NY topo from ibycus topo, also free. just had to watch a tutorial on how to use it! i can try to zip the file for ya if you like, for your... oregon?

imercator

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 17:21:38 »
Thanks. Yes it's for the Oregon. I was thinking about the Ibycus topo, and I'm sure I'll eventually get it, but I settled on the "NY Topo Maps" last night.

It overrides the Garmin City Navigator maps so you can't route unless the topo is disabled.  Only a small hiccup but still quite manageable.

The detail at 24K is outstanding for where I'm headed (Long Lake). It's almost too busy with contour lines on the screen unless the map is zoomed in.

Thanks

missbug

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 09:14:25 »
Good stuff, imercator. I always have either my Ibycus topo or routable road maps disabled, depending on which one I need more. Have a great trip  :D