Author Topic: Battery Life? How long is good enough?  (Read 6649 times)

ottawabirdbrain

Re: Battery Life? How long is good enough?
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2011, 15:50:55 »
The calculations of percentage is from the fully charged battery to what it is right now.

The voltage measurements I'm using is right up to the third decimal place.

I'm too lazy to type all this data in again, but I used the first two manufacturers and the first and eight measurements (columns).  I assumed that the % difference follows a normal distribution (not an unreasonable assumption).  Using an analysis of variance (ANOVA) computation, the results nikon-guy is seeing has about a 90% likelihood that the observed differences in the means (the averages) is due to random chance (i.e. normal random variation in the individual samples).   Basically that means that given the amount of limited variation, the sample size is too small to draw a conclusion (from a pure stats perspective).  Maybe if I typed in all the data from all the manufacturers I would have seen more of a significant difference, but probably not enough to get to conventional the 19 times out of 20 threshold.

Nikon-Guy

Re: Battery Life? How long is good enough?
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2011, 15:57:02 »
Well...  I was going to finally give everyone the results of what I found at the end of the 30 days.

However, the test for the Energizer batteries are completely ruined.

When I went to do the final test, I found the Energizer batteries missing.

Turns out that someone in this household used them in her battery powered toothbrush.  >:( >:( >:(

No words can tell you how PISSED I am right now!  A months worth of testing of fresh out of the package batteries down the drain.

In order to do a proper test of the Energizer batteries, I will have to go out and purchase another 'FRESH' set and start from day one on those.

However, I do have the self discharge results for the others:

PowerEx 2700 ended with 94.47% of their original charge
Imedion 2400 with 94.45%
Eneloop 2000 with 93.79%
Duracell 2000 with 93.24%

Now to test them from full charge to complete shut down in the Oregon 450.

I will test with FULL backlight, Battery Saver off and on Map Screen.

Back in a while.