Author Topic: Introduce yourself, How did you get your geoname? Find out about geocaching?  (Read 52625 times)

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
The title says it all!

I started caching in 2005 when my wife saw an article in the paper talking about it.  She bought me my first GPS for Christmas (a Garmin Gecko) and I was hooked.  Since I'm essentially a big nerd, I picked a nerd related name.  I started out as "IAmKirok", but dropped the first two words when it was tiresome to hear people try to pronounce it.   Kirok is a character name from Star Trek (Kirk's name in "The Paradise Syndrome" episode).

You don't have to be a Star Trek fan to use the words "I Am Kirok".  They can come in handy in everyday life.  For example, if you're sitting in a coffee house and your laptop is malfunctioning, just stand up and yell out "I Am Kirok!".   Find the guy in the corner who laughed, and have him fix your computer.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 22:01:29 by kirok »

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
My brother-in-law, now Remote Sensor, came to visit us in Cape Cod in July 2003. He works in GIS and brought with him a Magellan 320 GPSr. Polite conversation ensued, and another friend said "Have you heard of geocaching?". A few minutes on the computer and we discovered there were two caches nearby, so we entered the co-ordinates of the nearest and set off - and couldn't find it! The next day we 'studied' the hint and logs and returned, and found it! The following day we went after number two, and so it goes....

Bluelamb03 was just a name I was already using for my eBay account. I guess I was too lazy to come up with a second unique userID.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

lacwitt

I started caching in 2008 when I was given a Garmin nuvi 200.  My wife mentioned Geocaching, and I too, hit the internet and found a cache near a park we would be visiting later that day.  When we arrived the park (The Kanata Rec. Complex) I set off with my daughter to find the cache.  It took a bit of looking, but I found it.  I tried for a few more over the next couple of days and was hooked after that.

I started caching as chriswitt, just through it in to open the gc.com account, and changed it to lacwitt (Laura, Amy, Chris Witt) about a year later.

cavecats

I'm cavecats.  Over ten years ago, when I was taking a night course, I had to create a website. Being the creative person that I am,  :P ;D I wanted to incorporate the first letter of the members of my family.  Since my pets are part of my family, I included them too.  The name has been my online moniker for everything since.

Cathy And Valerie Eric Chris And Their Siamese

On Saturday August 26 at 8:15 a.m. four years ago during our 25th anniversary vacation to P.E.I. at the B&B breakfast table, hubby made the mistake of asking if I'd mind if he glanced at the Saturday paper.  I had no problem with that and asked him to pass me the lifestyle section. Covering the whole front page of that section was an excellent article on geocaching.  As we had used a Garmin 60CSX to travel to PEI, I was intrigued and excused myself from the table and made my way to the inn's computer.  Within minutes I had an account and had looked up caches using the inn's Postal Code.  To make a long story short (too late) our vacations have never been the same.  Poor guy!  ::)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 22:08:46 by cavecats »

qtman

Started in 2006, bought a GPS in US to find my way home by the back roads.
Met Bluelamb at work and he started me geocaching.
My name comes from my wife, she is always saying I'm very quite.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
she is always saying I'm very quite.

I thought it was because you were such a 'cutie'! :D

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

qtman

she is always saying I'm very quite.

I thought it was because you were such a 'cutie'! :D

Blue -

Awww come on Lib your giving away our secrete. ;D

"Cutie"

GreyingJay

As many people know, I spend a lot of time volunteering with a local children's summer camp. It's something I first got involved in when I was 15 years old, and I've been doing it ever since, working my way up the ranks -- nowadays I serve on the camp Board of Directors.  (This is why, when I'm not working or geocaching, I am almost always doing something related to camp...)

Anyhow, at camp we all go by camp nicknames.  Mine is "Jay", named for the bird as well as the Toronto baseball team.  Because of my years of involvement with camp and the number of people who call me by that name, it is very closely tied to my identity -- there are still people who don't realize that "Jay" is not my real name -- so much so that when I went to look for a unique ID for eBay, my blog, etc., I chose "notjustjay" -- as if to say "I'm not just the person you know as Jay, there's all this other stuff about me too".

That was my geocaching persona for a few years, but people kept getting mixed up and stumbling over it at events ("Hey!  You're ... uh, just.. not.. what?")  Someone quipped that, due to the number of grey hairs I am accumulating, I should be known as the "Greying" Jay... a name that has stuck ever since.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 10:06:07 by GreyingJay »

graciious

I am graciious.. umm, the story is long so I will just say it was passed on from a friend and I have been using it for a number of years (more than 15 now). 

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
Hidnseek here  :)  been caching since 2005, found out about as a date night option on flylady,  a site about cleaning your house.  2 months later hubby gave me a GPS for my birthday...house never clean since then.  
hidnseek cause my first few choices were taken...thankgoodness too other wise I would have been alleycat and there are enough cats around here already  :P
You will find me around to answer questions, can be seen at the workshop events and sometimes the meet and greet.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 22:28:14 by hidnseek »

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
Why Model12? It was my nickname on another hunting forum so I kept it since I'm still hunting; only it's tupperware now! It's also the make and model of the shotgun I am holding in my avatar, on my wooden nickel, on my pathtag, and on my personal GeoCoin.

(music swells) One day I was sitting around the old PC, wondering what to do with myself between hunting seasons (cue the flashback - Tom Selleck plays me...)

Someone suggests I take a look in the GPS section of the forum for something called 'geocaching' and the rest is history.

I had a brand new Garmin Legend, so off I go looking for the cache in the woods behind my home. After 2 trips and re-reading the cachepage for help, I make my first find in April 2006.

Now geocaching takes me places I'd never think of visiting, and gets me into more trouble (and fun) than ever.

I started out looking for tupperware in the woods; what I found we're a whole bunch of new friends...
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

RCA777

• Baby Cacher
    • Central Ontario Geocachers
Q: Where does the geoname RCA777 come from?

A: Admittedly, it is not the most inventive of caching handles.
I once worked in a large building, where I was constantly paged over the PA system.
When I say "constantly".. I do indeed mean it in every sense of the word.
An executive in the office also has the same first name as me... and requested politely that I either change my name  :o or be paged "with something else".
I have always used my middle initial (kinda like Michael J. Fox and Johnny B. Goode) and the receptionist at the time paged me as "RCA".
It stuck. To this day, friends and former co-workers still call me "RCA".

After that, my folks bought me a personalized license plate, which was my initials (RCA) and my favourite number (7).
When I first signed up for "XBox Live" (online gaming for those that aren't aware) it made me use at least 6 characters... so I chose "RCA777".
When I created my Geocaching.com account, it was to look up information for Fingers Crossed.
(Who were, at the time, out on a caching run in the field with their trusty Garmin i3!).. so I used the same username.

I've contemplated changing it to "RCA7"... which would have been my first choice for Xbox Live.. but I'm kinda settled with "RCA777".. even if it doesn't match the license plate.

Q: How did you find out about geocaching?

A: Blame the Jeep. Thank Fingers Crossed.
Fingers Crossed at the time had a minivan (or a Grand Prix, or something you don't take booting down a trail).
The 5th oldest (and active) geocache in Ontario is GC619 - "Swift Rapids" - which is at the end of an 11km "Trail".
Jeep country.
They invited me to enjoy the road in the Jeep (as I had done several times before!) with Mr and Mrs Fingers Crossed, Princess Butterfingers and Hawkeyes Nick coming along for the ride.
It was a fantastic day - and my first find was indeed GC619.
I have subsequently adopted that cache and greatly enjoy reading the logs from other adventurers.
So, as my profile on geocaching.com says... "It all started out as an excuse to get muddy!".

(Blatantly plagiarized from my own posting on the COG forums.... the re-birth of the CCC forums seemed like a good time to stop lurking....!)

flyguy35

Many moons ago, I was a commercial pilot. During that time I created an email that I could access from anywhere so I decided to use flyguy as my login but that was taken. Wanting to keep a flying theme I just tacted on my age at the end. Nothing fancy but thats my story and I am sticking to it.

I discovered geocaching on Facebook of all places. I same a friend of a friend post a few pictures about geocaching and it perked my interest. Opened another tab on the web browser and googled geocaching. I read several websites and ended up on geocaching.com and from there I was hooked. I dragged the missus (RDLtrekker) into the sport kicking and screaming but I think is enjoying it now. ;)

CoveSC

I got the name CoveSC because I live in a little place called Canoe Cove, PE and my initials are SC. I started caching in Feb/10 but I went with a little known cacher called model12 (aka my brother) once when he picked me up from our mother's place in Kingston to drive me to Ottawa so I could catch a plane home to PEI. We stopped where he said there was this thing called a cache and asked if I was alright to walk a bit down this "road". Off we went and when we got close he said for me to start looking around because we were about 3m away from the target. When I spotted a few rocks wedged inbetween some tree trunks he nodded his approval and said, "Yep, rocks don't grow in trees"! And so the story goes.... Can't wait for him to come to PEI so I can show him a tree where there is a rock in the middle of a tree!!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 08:53:27 by CoveSC »

tcort

Introduce yourself

My name is Tom and I live in the Hull sector of Gatineau, QC. I'm currently an electronics student at Heritage College.

How did you get your geoname?

I was lazy and just used the first letter of my first name + my last name.

Find out about geocaching?

I had read about it online and even got a yellow Garmin eTrex GPSr, but I never got around to looking for a cache. A few years later Dave (juicepig) started geocaching. He took me geocaching a few times. The following May I went out and found my first cache.