Author Topic: Introduce yourself, How did you get your geoname? Find out about geocaching?  (Read 51860 times)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
I enjoy juice.  Sometimes a little too much.

:D Very funny, funnier than the real story!

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

Redpoll

• Full Time Cacher
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
adh-yow checking in…

I've had an opportunity to meet a few of you on the trails and have even exchanged a few e-mails with some of you here and there. 

By way of introduction, my geoname is pretty straight forward: my initials and the three letter identifier for Ottawa International Airport.

We've been caching since August 2008 with a Garmin Nuvi 255W and switch to Ibycus Topo maps when caching.

So what's up with the bunny?  No, I'm not with a major battery company. Rather, it was something my wife picked up years ago cross-border shopping in the States.  It would find its way into my luggage whenever I did work related travel and has been with me to several European capitals, a number of major North American cities, at sea with Canadian warships, and in the Balkans during the conflict there.  So when we took-up caching, it was only natural that the bunny became our travelling companion.

Currently, I am fortunate to have a position where I have been able to travel across our country. Though I don't have much time for caching while on the road, I have been able to visit caches literally from coast to coast to coast with some of my favourites including Cherry Point on Vancouver Island (GCDF8F); Casa Del Pajaro Inn -- the Regina Trans-Canada TB Hotel (GC164H1); Sylvia’s Stash up in Iqaluit (GCQAPW); and Cape Spear Light (GCEE24).  As my family isn’t able to accompany me, the bunny and some creative photography allows them to enjoy the finds as I travel.

Closer to home, I get a kick out of caching with the kids.  For them, every find is like the first and the eldest is enjoying applying the math skills she’s learning in school to solve Binthairs.

We really are blessed with a cache rich environment here in the NCR, and I think it is a direct result of the active – and creative – community.  Well done!

I look forward to meeting more of you in the weeks and months ahead.  I may even make it out for breakfast some weekend….
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Femmeng

• Baby Cacher
Hi, I'm Femmeng. I had read about caching and thought it sounded like fun, but I didn't go out to look for my first cache until Aug. 2007 when a friend invited to come with her to look for a couple of Kanata caches.
I started out as Kate295, but it sounded so cheap, that I switched to Femmeng. Femmeng was the name of the organization for female engineering students that I helped to found at the University of Waterloo.
I was surprised to get a message from another cacher, one day, asking what year I graduated from Waterloo. The organization changed it's name to WISE a number of years ago, so I was surprised that anyone remembered.
I, like GreyingJay, am involved in a summer camp, so my caching activities tend to happen in the fall, after Camp is over. I have taught geocaching at camp and at a daycamp for Nortel dependents. Once a counselor, always a counselor!
I sometimes cache with my spouse, and with DollyDog.

dnorth98

Evein' all,
    Been reading here for a couple of months but a thread caught my eye that finally persuaded me to register and post (over in general discussions).  Figured I'd post an intro first, maybe bring the fam out to one of the meets sometime.

Got into the geo-lark last year when some friends at work (we're all hopeless gadget nerds!) turned me onto the hobby.  At first I did what every gadget head does - ridiculed them for being so silly.  Then I went out on my first adventure...INSTANT ADDICITION!  The great thing was finally, after doing a solo hobby (kart racing) for so many years, there's something I can do with the rest of the fam.  My daughter and wife were right away into it and soon we'd done a few around Orleans, introduced my in-laws down in Oakville to geo-goodness and generally tried to take in a few caches when we had time.  While we're not "extreme cachers" having so many other hobbies already, we've tried to do a few each month and even hidden a couple ourselves.

My kid got into travel bugs early on and we sent one off on a mission to the shores of old Blighty where we're from (that's "England" for the Colonials ;)  ) and just this month, our bug made it to the town we got hitched in.  It's hard to explain how bugs work to someone but when I tell 'em our story that a bug made it from here to Battle, E. Sussex...almost to a person the answer is "wow, that's cool...I gotta get into this!".  Easy to see how the hobby can grow to quickly and have such a wide appeal!

Anyway, nice to join the community!  Hope to see some of you around.  I already recognise a few names from the caches we've hidden :)

Cheers

Dave
aka the HIGHLY unoriginal dnorth98

GreyingJay

Welcome!

One of the meets, eh?  Your first opportunity is tonight!  6pm at Summerhay's on Baseline at Woodroffe.  Check the event listings for the GC code (or the events calendar on the CCC main website).

Nice to meet you!

lostinthegarden

• Jr. Cacher
I guess it's about time we started participating in these forums!  "We" are Barry and Cathy, a semi-retired engineer and retired computer programmer, respectively.  We've already met many of you at recent events in Ottawa and Cornwall, and on the trails.

We've been aware of geocaching for a long time, but only got involved recently.  About a year ago, we were headed out to Vancouver for a visit with our daughter, and this time we decided to do something completely different, and take the train all the way (and fly back).  We thought it would be nice to have a GPSr with us so we could keep track of where we were (plus we were planning to drive down into Washington and Oregon to visit friends), so we picked up an eTrex Legend HCx.  It was a great trip, but we never tried any geocaching (oh, the opportunities lost!).  We did have friends in Ottawa (klondikeottawa) who were active geocachers though, and in November we finally decided to get the GPSr out and give it a try.  We went for a walk, and found a few nearby caches.  But then the weather got nastier, and we stopped with just half a dozen finds under our belts.  Our friends assured us that winter was great time for geocaching, but we were unconvinced.  Finally, in April of this year, we got out again, and found some more nearby caches, including a few that we'd failed to find last fall.  We also discovered some interesting puzzles to work on... yup, we were hooked, and haven't looked back since.  Although we had planned to do quite a bit of hiking and biking this summer, this new pursuit has taken us to a ton of interesting places (and some not so interesting!) that we otherwise would never have visited or known about.  About 20% of our finds have been puzzle and multi caches, and we've placed five so far.

Re the geoname... it was the usual thing, you need to register on geocaching.com to get started, and you have to quickly conjure up a user name and password.  I took the easy route, and used my ham radio call letters, which I often do for websites requiring user ids.  Cathy tried "lostinthewoods", which of course was not available, so she switched it from "woods" to "garden".  It sort of makes sense, as we are both avid gardeners - our small backyard is nearly all garden (no lawn at all), and it can get to be a bit of a jungle in mid-summer.  Anyway, she logged our first few finds, and I never got around to logging them (it seemed pointless to do it all in duplicate), so thereafter we've just used lostinthegarden as our collective geoname.

-litg (short version for nano logs!)

SigsPig

• Full Time Cacher
...  "We" are Barry and Cathy, a semi-retired engineer and retired computer programmer, respectively. 

May I politely suggest with your collective backgrounds & love of puzzles that the Binthair Challenge might be just what your looking for  ;D

lostinthegarden

• Jr. Cacher
...  "We" are Barry and Cathy, a semi-retired engineer and retired computer programmer, respectively. 

May I politely suggest with your collective backgrounds & love of puzzles that the Binthair Challenge might be just what your looking for  ;D

Funny you should mention that, as we just bagged a Binthair today (It's About Time), and have some others in various states of progress.  We haven't completed many so far, mainly because most of them aren't anywhere near our home base in west Ottawa, but we'll continue to chip away at them.  We've done a dozen BrianDiane caches, though!  There is definitely a higher level of satisfaction when you finally get your mitts on one of those challenging puzzle or multi caches, compared with a typical park 'n grab.  They're all fun, but we try to plan things so as to minimize the amount of driving we need to do.  That carbon footprint thing is the only aspect of geocaching that gives us some concern...

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
That carbon footprint thing is the only aspect of geocaching that gives us some concern...

Oh yeah! I hear you.... David Suzuki isn't handing the geoMob any awards!

Blue -
- Sheila Mendonça

cavecats

That carbon footprint thing is the only aspect of geocaching that gives us some concern...

Oh yeah! I hear you.... David Suzuki isn't handing the geoMob any awards!

Blue -

Actually he should since you guys do carpool quite often!!!

yukonshawn

Hello all,

I've been Geocaching for approximately one year, but haven't posted on the forums until now.

I started out with a few finds during the Summer of 2009, went dormant for a few months, then resumed caching last Christmas, dragging my girlfriend out to a Christmas-themed cache during that Boxing Day ice storm.

There is no real epic story surrounding my geoname.
It rhymes, which is kind of cool.
And for the record, I'm not really from the Yukon Territory.
I'm from the territory next to it.

Good to see so many names I recognize from logs and the 'Meet and Eat' events.

ocm_ott

I'm ocm_ott, and the husband of maddy82. I don't actually cache under this name as we do all of our caching together under the maddy82 banner, but I use this account here (and on the groundspeak forums) so that I can post as me. The name is actually a reference to OCM (Open Cache Manager), a GSAK like project that I maintain for Linux users like myself.

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
I'm considering a name change, PKAEH just doesn't roll off the toung nicely.  I'd like to do this before I get too involved in caching, I can see myself doing this for a long time.  I'm having so much fun.

Also...

Paul is my name by the way.
K has come out caching two or three time and is supportive of the time that I do spend caching but doesn't really have an interest in doing it much.
A had declared that she doesn't really like geocaching any more (mall rat in training).
E likes to go sometimes as long as it is not a micro or in a forest ( :D, getting tricky now to ones close to home that I haven't logged) and is more concerned about swag I've brought home for her when I've been out.

So, I'll be changing to "CocaColaCacher" shortly as this reflects my other passion of collecting Coca Cola stuff. (I'll intro myself properly after the change).

***Who do I contact about changing my account here on the CCC site?***  I'll make the change on the GC site soon.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
What's the 'H' for then?

When you change your userID you can go to your profile page, from the upper left menu bar, and amend your profile to reflect the change. Perhaps your family can take on other 'coke' related names with you: RumandCokeCacher, DietCokeandMentosCacher...

Blue -
- Sheila Mendonça

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
H is the last name.  

E can be like DietCokeandMentos sometimes,  A will likely be the cause of me starting to drink RumandCoke.
K doesn't like to drink Coke, she likes diet Pepsi  :'(.  I can manage to overlook this as she has other redeeming qualities.  ;D

I can see where I can change my display name but I'd like to change my account name if possible.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 16:03:51 by PKAEH »