Author Topic: Introduce yourself, How did you get your geoname? Find out about geocaching?  (Read 53251 times)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
In your Account Related Settings is the your "username", which has a 'change' link right below it, and a "name" which is what is displayed on the forum. You can edit either or both....

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
Nope, sorry, can't change account name.  Maybe your admin access give you more permissions then a regular user.  Changed the display name for now.

graciious

I thought it was going to be "Cocacolacacher" That rolls off the tounge much easier than your present name "Cocacocacacher"

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
I thought it was going to be "Cocacolacacher" That rolls off the tounge much easier than your present name "Cocacocacacher"

Typo, to early in the morning  :-[

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
OK, after all of that, I'm now going by CocaColaCacher (formerly PKAEH, see reason for the change back a few posts).

I've been caching since June 2010.  I had looked at this in 2009, noticed that there were caches in the area but had never actually tried it until this year.  I do most of my day-to-day caching at lunch as family occupies most of my evenings.
My wife works Tuesday evenings and Saturdays so that pretty much excludes me from attending the Saturday geomob and the Summerhays supper but I enjoy attending the Thursday Workshops.  I enjoy caching as it gets me back out to the country.  There is nothing like a good bushwack through a forest to clear the mind.

As for the name, I've been a collector of Coca Cola for years now.  I've just about completed finishing my basement which has turned in to a 700sqft shrine to Coca Cola (with a little Star Wars stuff in what will be the home theatre corner). You can view my Coca-Cola TB which has a picture of my display shelf (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2964961).  I'm always looking for different bottles and cans from friends and family that travel abroad (hint, hint to anyone who travels).

Being both a former country boy and a current suburb family man has lead me to put out two types of caches.  
I have my "Family Cache" series in a few parks in Barrhaven for people who have young kids that like to cache but aren't aren't up to a 300m bushwack.  They are easy to find containers with a little swag for kids to trade.  Please don't complain about the location of some of these caches, they aren't intended for a big group of scruffy guys on a Saturday afternoon  ;D.
Completely opposite to these caches are my other ones which are always somewhat of a hike through a forest.  As some of you can attest to, just leaving a container in the forest is not my thing.  There is always something at the GZ worth seeing whether it be an interesting feature or a different hide for a container.  There are more to come.  I'll have a nice puzzle cache ready for GAG15 and I have enough Fire Tacks for at least one or two more night caches once I get some time to find a location.  I'm also thinking of how I can make up my own take on the popular "bird house caches" that seem to be plentiful around here.

Well, that about it for now.  Really looking forward to GAG15, told my wife she had to be off that Friday evening and Saturday as I plan to cache as much as I can that weekend.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 08:22:12 by CocaColaCacher »

geonerding

We've been caching for about 18 months and have 600 finds...when do we stop feeling like n00bs?  ;)

"We" are Jason and Amanda, commonly seen in our logs as JD and AW.  We obviously love geocaching and joke about it's nerdiness and hence out came geonerding.  I think if our schedules matched (JD has a night job and I have a day job)...all we would do is cache.  The unspoken rule is to not cache without the other  ::)  We will try to make it to a meeting or event...Im a bit of a wallflower so I may have purposely been avoiding ... :o but from the cacher's we've ran into everyone seems friendly and worth some social anxiety!

Happy caching!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 17:49:18 by geonerding »

WillRoar

I only started Geocaching a few days ago, late September 2010.  I found out about Geocaching through The Easter Ontario Trail Blazers off-road club’s website.  Didn’t know what it was so I did some research.  Since I own a JEEP and I like the outdoors I thought the combination of the two was perfect.  A local outdoors store had the Garmin 60cx on special sale price so I picked one up and started Geocaching the next day.  I wish I had more time for Geocaching, but I'm content to get out when I can.

WillRoar is my nick name because I like to cheer when a goal is scored  ;D, or if I find a cache (when appropriate :-X).

graciious

Welcome Willroar.. Hopefully we will see you before we hear you on the trails.

Up North Tracks

Well.... Where to start.
The Up North Tracks name was started in May of this year. We (my wife and I) where looking to acquire donations for the first Geocaching event of the year (End of the Road event) and ended up becoming part organizer and the local Geocaching supplier. Our GC name (Mike & Jess), was Jessica's idea (I'm Mike btw). I had originally signed up under an old nickname. Once Jess became hooked on Geocaching, the new (and current) account was created, with full membership paid for. Most logs signed will have a "+ Cohen" added, as my little guy is out caching with us always. He's been out caching since he was 2 weeks old.
So.... How did I find out about geocaching?
I believe it was summer of 2006 at a company event. A co-worker (and fellow mtn biker) had just recently been bit by the Geocaching bug, and had bought a new GPS. Being a big outdoors person, we hadn't even found my first cache and I was hooked.

HoundGPS

Hi everyone :)

I was introduced to the geocaching activity by one of the members of the jeep club (Club Passion Jeep) I am part of. He gave me a very brief explanation of it and told me to check out geocaching.com. Only 3 months later, in a moment of absolute boredom, did I actually bothered to check it out (I had in fact forgot about it). So that was in July... When I got my first find. Since then I have accumulated 283 finds and learned about, seen, hiked, traveled and admired incredible places I never before suspected existed.

My nickname HoundGPS comes from my Club Passion Jeep forum name Hound, which in turn comes from another passion of mine: The Transformers. I collect the toys. Hound was the name of the Autobot transformer that transforms into a Jeep. Since Hound was already taken on geocaching.com, I used all my imaginative power to tack it a "GPS" suffix :P

I am a computer programmer, which USED to like spending most of his spare time in virtual worlds like World Of Warcraft and the like (console games are always finished way too fast). After a 3 year career as a Holy Paladin, and after much struggle to keep an elite raiding guild active, I had decided that Blizzard was pushing the limits of my patience way too far by bringing the playing level of difficulty down to what I would term as "baby in diapers". I could no longer justify the pushing of the number 1 key in a vegetative state 3 hours every evening, 4 evenings a week. And so the powerful Paladin was vanquished.

Now, that game time is invested in geocaching. Some of you may have noticed that most of my finds are done after sunset. After the kids are out in bed, I have a few hours to spend getting a few finds :) Since then, I get lots of comments from my friends on facebook who gets flooded my by find pics.. some are curious, others disgusted (mostly those I left behind in World of Warcraft). To them I say "Now that I know both worlds... if the choice of being a Virtual NO-LIFE or a REAL LIFE NO-LIFE was offered to me, I would choose the latter." I usually get good laughs and it cool things down a bit ;)

I have also introduced a few people to the geocaching activity. As you may have noticed, I usually have a partner when I find stuff. Either my dad Karcan2010 , my sister NetCharie or my girlfriend's little cousin AlexTheMan. I went hiking on a few occasions with my 2 year-old son at the Lac Beauchamp and he just loves it! I will also sometimes get a few with WhiteKrawler1, who was the first to ever mention the term "Geocaching" to me.

I have yet to place any cache myself. As I have told others many-a-times, "Humans learned to fly only by observing the birds for a very long time!". I wanted to get a few finds under my belt before even thinking of placing some myself.

I have only recently found this website (well, I had noticed the badge on some of your geocaching.com profiles, but I was too busy finding caches :D).

Anyhow, here I am now. And you're stuck with me :D Muahaha!
Nice to meet you all

P.S. I have only met other geocachers on 2 occasions : Bluelamb03 and 3-Bearss while finding the Jeux du Quebec 2010 at Polyvalente de l'Ile in hull and just recently, as in yesterday, Project_Pandemonium with which I had an enjoyable discussion about geocaching and Jeeps.

Thanks everyone :D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 12:14:55 by HoundGPS »

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Hello again Hound! Good to see you on the Forums at last!

You'll get more chances to meet other geocachers on the trail during the GAG15 event frenzy! People are always crossing paths as they all attempt the same GAG caches.

See you soon!

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

campadk

Hi all! Just found this site after getting into geocaching over the last few weeks. Was introduced by friends from Welland while in Lake Placid. Had a blast and so my wife and I are jumping right in. We go by CampADK or simply campadk for most things, mainly because we love the concept of a 'camp', we love camping, being by the water and of course the Adirondacks (abbrev ADK). If we aren't in Orleans, we are likely in the adirondacks of upstate New York. See you out there!   

Falach-fead

After finding the geocaching site, I needed to find a name and noticed the left menu bar said "hide & seek a  cache".  I had just finished several years of genealogy research into Scottish and Irish roots and decided something Gaelic may be good.  I quickly hit on the game of hide and seek which translates as "Falach-fead" in Gaelic.  As for the numbers of ways to pronounce it, I don't think I've heard the right one yet or even know it myself  :D

Tromelin

I overheard about geocaching at work, didn't really care about it. However, when my sister (aka Troop6) thought she had coordinates to a cave to explore, I decided to get a GPSr, mentioning we could try geocaching too. We didn't find the cave but we did find a multicache on the Bruce Trail crevaces in the Niagara escarpment. Troop6 did eventually find some caves, and placed caches there of course.

My geoname comes from a tiny island 300 kms east of Madagascar that I saw on my globe. My sister convinced to use this name she knew from my old D&D character.

buddysally

Hi, I'm Buddysally.  Got the name from two of my dogs, Buddy and Sally> Wanted to find something to keep me physically and mentally active in retirement, and sure found it with geocaching.  My sister, introduced me to caching, and I was hooked after my first find.  I'm totally amazed at how well it is set up, and how much work and time people have put into producing caches.  Wonderful hobby or addiction; not sure which one, but am loving it.