Author Topic: Introduce yourself, How did you get your geoname? Find out about geocaching?  (Read 44676 times)

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
Wonderful hobby or addiction; not sure which one, but am loving it.

Both, but mostly addiction. Welcome to the Betty Ford clinic...  ;)

BigMandDJ

• Baby Cacher
BigM was my nickname when just a young hockey fan supporting the Leafs along with my hero Frank Mahovolich (age giveaway!). I left the Leafs behind just as Frank did when traded to Detroit. DJ uses her initals but the moniker has a nice ring to it (actually BigM&DJ but the registration wouldn't let us use the &). I did a little geocaching as a chaufeur to my son one summer a few years back. He gave it up and I did not hear of it again until DJ brought it up after we had just met last year. It was suggested to her by one of her co-workers and she was surprised when I knew of it! Mind you, there are still many people who have no idea this exists. We are not 'ultra' cachers but have planned some cash and dash on the way to Florida in a couple of weeks. See you on the trail!

dggram

While in Calgary in the summer of '08, my daughter,green ducks asked if I wanted to go for a walk with her, the rest as they say is history. As a family we span  three provinces, and four generations including Bird is the Word from Quebec. dg is the good natured driver who will take any of us any where as far the car can go and gram is the 'back seat' director.  There are some members who think that geocaching is a waste of a good hike but are great with their input in helping to solve mysteries.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
There are some members who think that geocaching is a waste of a good hike ....
WHAT?! Geocaching is the reason to take the hike in the first place!

It was nicing meeting you at x3Blessed's trailhead the other day, and thanks for all the caches!
I like your puzzles, I don't have to learn trigonometry to solve them!  ::)

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

Bearcat5

Hi - We're Bearcat5, from Perth, Ontario. We started geocaching in September, after having borrowed a friend's handheld GPS while on vacation earlier in the summer. We had noticed the icon called "Geocaching" and wondered what it meant, so we explored it after we got home, and here we are! Our name is simple - it is made up of nicknames, and "Bearcat" was already taken. We enjoyed the Meet N Eat in January, and look forward to more involvement with the CCC!

maddy82

I've changed my geocaching name from maddy82 to Madela-OCM so that it's a team name. Kyle (OCM_ott) is almost always with me when I'm geocaching, so this way he's included too :D

maddy82

I've changed my geocaching name from maddy82 to Madela-OCM so that it's a team name. Kyle (OCM_ott) is almost always with me when I'm geocaching, so this way he's included too :D

Okay, I didn't like that name so I changed the name again. Now it's Maddy-OCM. I think that will be easier to get used to.

graciious

Now all those caches you found yesterday have to be re-logged!  Go stomp through the snow in rockland again!

Wanda_Arownd

Hi!
My name comes from my first experiences with geocaching while using a Garmin Nuvi GPS. I have a scar on my arm from taking a tumble down a hill while searching for Two Statues to illustrate this point. Had I continued with the Garmin, I probably should have added "blindly" or "dangerously" as a prefix to the name. I soon discovered that if I was going to ever find a cache before my family left me stranded in the forest I had better pick up some better equipment. I then moved on to the Black Star app on my Blackberry and then to a Magellan Explorer, which seems to be doing the trick.

When I can, I cache with my Dad (who seems to neglect to log any finds) and together we are Wanda_Arownd Oliver_de_Place which I think suits us quite well when we are together.

When researching outdoor activities to do with my Brownie group, I learned that Girl Guides of Canada Alberta Council has a geocache challenge and soon found another hobby for Snowy Owl - my alter ego.

Biggest Downside: Navigating off the beaten trail in a forest alone at night is not an ideal hobby for a woman. 

Redpoll

• Full Time Cacher
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Welcome to the community and enjoy the forum -- it is a great resource.

As you'll see in this thread http://canadascapitalcachers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=103.msg678#msg678 you're in good company!

See you on the trails.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

royfran

• Full Time Cacher
I found out about geocaching at least four or five years ago from someone at work; I even bookmarked the site telling myself that one day I'd have to check it out in more detail, but that never happened.  Having a bit more free time since retirement, and because always cycling the same bike paths was starting to get boring, I decided it was time for another passtime.  My username at work has been "royfran" for the last 33 years, and imagination not being my strong suit, royfran it will be here too.

I decided to join CCC because I've been trying to get on Valpin's robotic stats for a while but just finding the "watched" caches doesn't seem to be enough.  I also feel I'm ready to do my first hide and figured I might be able to find some tips in the forums.

The only thing I don't like so far about geocaching is about 3mm long, buzzes around your ears and likes blood.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
Welcome royfran! You'll find lots of info here on these forums, and if there's something you can't find, please ask away or PM one of us. Posting questions will get you a variety of answers, some even correct...! 
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

Angutas Rest

My name is Anguta's Rest. It has been an online name for many years. Anguta is the Inuit god of the dead. He holds the newly dead souls for one year (in what christians call Limbo), and then guides them into the next phase of their existence. I have always been fond of life's lessons, and tried to help others within the same fashion. I work as an on call building superintendent. Which means that my free time is severely limited. If an emergency arises, I must be able to get back to my buildings before the fire department arrives. At the moment, travel or even going to check out caches in other locations are done when I can. It hasn't happened yet.

As with most things in life, you must fail to learn to succeed. You must try. At least try.

I hope to get out and meet y'all, when I can. And get helpful hints for the noob that I be.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
The geomob is heading to Renfrew tomorrow for a day full of geocaching wonderment.
http://canadascapitalcachers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=714.0

Then there's the Meet & Greet on the 26th
http://coord.info/GC2ZM2C

Or email me and we'll set up a time to grab a few caches day or night.

Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

shove

Hello all.  I was introduced to geocaching back in 2007 (at least that's what my account on geocaching.com says).  GeoCat! introduced me to it way back then and I looked at the site, thought wow this is WAY to hard for me and proceeded to forget about it.  Well summer time brings out neighbours and friends and GeoCat! and Dblohsix were talking and I found myself interested again. After they hid a cache for me at my trailer and took me off into the woods (ok it was just two steps into the woods) I became hooked.

I found an app for my android phone and i've found two so far.  I have two DNF's but one i had my whole family off on a wild goose chase...i looked at the map wrong and well....they were all ticked at me.  :-\

I'm not creative in any way shape or form so my name is Shoven which is the first three letters of my first name and the first three letters of my last name.