Author Topic: Introduce yourself, How did you get your geoname? Find out about geocaching?  (Read 51859 times)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Creative? shoven will do just fine! Welcome!

I think you'll find that the accuracy of the GPS in your phone may be 'disappointing', so choose cache with low diffiuclty ratings to start, small or regular in size, and be patient. If you get the bug bad you'll eventually move to a dedicated handheld, unless you drop the phone into a puddle beforehand.....

Blue =
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

PA

HI  My name is PA. 

This is my first geocaching anonymous meeting

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
You need help, serious help, and your wife too!  ;)

Blue -
- Sheila Mendonça

Sens-eh

Hi all,

I'm a noob cacher here in Ottawa. I first heard about geocaching vaguely some years ago, and thought I would like to try it some day, but it wasn't until Easter weekend this year that I read an article in the Ottawa citizen that I remembered about it. I thought it might be a fun activity for my young family and the article said I could just use a free app on my phone to do it. So a quick check of iTunes and I was dragging the whole family out the door within the hour. That first app pointed me to a lamp post cache, but of course I didn't known that at the time. We ended up dnf'ing it, but decided to continue on to another cache which turned out to be a regular size hidden in a "secret" bit of nature right in the city. I was hooked.

Since I wasn't introduced to the game by an existing geocacher, I've basically learned each lesson the hard way or at least the slow way. Mostly I have done a LOT of lurking on the groundspeak forums and I've actually been lurking here for a good while too. I haven't rushed out to do my own hide, and I like to think I am responsible about not moving found caches around and/or notifying CO's about potential problems. Still though like all noobs I suppose I have or I will mess up some time - apologies in advance s.v.p.

My logs tend to be longer then most, just like this post. Hopefully you don't mind having to scroll down past them in order to see the pics of what the cache container looked like years ago back when blue or model12 found it  ;) (in seriousness - that is a really helpful thing to a fresh noob btw, thanks for that - logs contain spoilers, but we know that when we look at them. Us noobs are looking down there trying to teach our eyes what to look for).

My caching name obviously brings up a number of concepts - I think most/all of them are pretty self evident to the bright folks who figure out all these crazy puzzle caches in the region! I've used the name for other things before as well, so it wasn't picked out specifically for geocaching.

I look forward to meeting more of you on the trails, you will most often find me out with my son who enjoys the adventure of the hunt as much as I.  Thanks for all these caches for me to find! Someday, I will return the favour by making some of my own hides. Right now though, I'm a little busy - there's another binthair that has been calling for me....hmmm

Cache-oo Nuts

Hello! We are Beverley & Amy, a Mum & Daughter team here in Renfrew. We tried a few names that were already taken... then came up with Cache-oo Nuts! Suits us to a tee! :) Learning as we go...

graciious

Welcome to the fun! I am in the Frew once in a while. maybe we'll cross paths! :)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Hello! We are Beverley & Amy, a Mum & Daughter team here in Renfrew. We tried a few names that were already taken... then came up with Cache-oo Nuts! Suits us to a tee! :) Learning as we go...

Welcome! Renfrew is easily within a daytrip of Ottawa, and there's lots of nice caches up the valley that way! I hope to meet you on the trails or at an event soon!

Blue -
- Sheila Mendonça

Inf_Guy

Greetings all, well not much to say,I was was introduced to Geo Caching by GPComd while we suffered through a 1year sentence at a federal institution in Kingston,Ont. I an a serving member of The Royal Canadian Regiment (The RCR), hence the user name: Infantry Guy shortened to Inf_Guy. During our time in Kingston several like minded individuals  (GPComd, ChimoGuy, ArmyTrucker and myself ) formed Team Spirokeet and proceeded to cache in the Kingston area, trying to enjoy the lighter side of caching with the resident KAGers.

Newly posted to Ottawa I am looking forward to meeting some of the more famous (or is it infamous?) geocachers in the local area and enjoy the local caching scene.

Cheers

Inf_Guy

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Welcome to Ottawa Inf_guy. There are many DND or ex-DND cachers in the area, for obvious reasons.
I followed the exploits of Team Spirokeet (did you guys mis-spell that? Should it be spirochete, a gram-negative helical bacteria? *grin*) in Kingston and hope you have the same successes here.

Blue -
- Sheila Mendonça

SigsPig

• Full Time Cacher
Hey Inf Guy. As BlueLamb03 mentions, there's a few of us lurking about. Enjoyed your Forest Lea offerings the other day. Hopefully you guys don't nail us with any MrGunner puzzles  :o

Inf_Guy

Hey Inf Guy. As BlueLamb03 mentions, there's a few of us lurking about. Enjoyed your Forest Lea offerings the other day. Hopefully you guys don't nail us with any MrGunner puzzles  :o

LOL well as a matter of fact I am thinking of a puzzle based on some of the lessons learned,perhaps a nice Radar Equation themed series?

SigsPig

• Full Time Cacher
 :o Thankfully I know a MRGunner or two that might help with the solving  ;)

Lucky-Lizard

Newcomer alert!

I'm no stranger to message boards, as I actively participate on a handful of them - some of which I also help moderate - but I am totally new to the wonderful hobby/obsession that is Geocaching. I've know HoundGPS for over ten years now and he has always tried in vain to get me interested in his hobbies or pastimes. He mentioned Geocaching over a year ago and while I didn't have any GPS-enable device, I was mildly interested, but not that much.

Fast-forward to a month ago. I told HoundGPS that I had bought a Motorola Xoom tablet PC and that it was amazing and versatile. "Does it have a GPS?", he asked. I replied, "But of course it does!" ""Then you're all set to come with us for an evening of Geocaching" he said. So as easy as that, I got suckered in to tag along HoundGPS and his geocaching buddies. I came back home pleasantly surprised! This was actually fun! So much, that I installed a geocaching application on my tablet, uploaded all the local caches I could find within a 2km radius and started looking for caches in my neighbourhood.

A month later, I've got a tablet PC, a Samsung Galaxy Gio smartphone and a Magellan eXplorist 610. The latter follows me everywhere I go. I'm on my 30th consecutive day with finds and have found 77 caches so far. It's not huge, but at least I can get my daily Geocaching fix. Aiming to hit the 100 cache milestone before the end of the month!

And I blame HoundGPS for all of this! ;)

As for my Geo name, that's a complicated one. My mother's side of the family is Irish, which explains the Lucky part (plus my dog's name is Lucky), and my wife's nickname in high school was The Lizard Queen. So I came up with Lucky-Lizard, because it has a nice sound to it. The hyphen is there simply because the user name without hyphen was already taken over on Geocaching.com.

Anyway, this seems like a really great place. I think I'll enjoy it here!

TyggerBob

Hi, all. Just occured to me that I had intro'd myself on the old forums but not here.
I was introduced to geocaching back in 2002 by a coworker. Did a few, then got tied up with kids and work. Now that the kids are older, we've gotten into it more ovber the past couple years. It's something good to get them outside and away from what we affectionately refer to as their "electron restraints".
I'm a Cub leader and myself and a couple other leaders into caching have introduced it to quite a few of our youth. My son is writing up the requirements using caching as an individual specialty badge.
We've also turned quite a few family friends on to caching as well, after taking them withg us on a caching jaunt.
The name TyggerBob comes from the fact that I have a short achilles tendon and have a bit of a bounce in my step. My coworkers would see my head bouncing over the partition and call me Tigger. It just kinda stuck.
I'm glad to find this place. Lots of sage advice and it seems to be a good group of people. With three kids in activities, it's hard to get out to the group events, but we're hoping to make it one of these day.
See you around the caches and forum.
Tyg/Bob
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 16:03:28 by TyggerBob »