Author Topic: Archive request for Ironman Cache a Day Challenge  (Read 4151 times)

missbug

Re: Archive request for Ironman Cache a Day Challenge
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 12:39:58 »
it was gg7 (now gg) who deleted those logs on the ironman cache a day challenge, not groundspeak.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 13:03:05 »
it was gg7 (now gg) who deleted those logs on the ironman cache a day challenge, not groundspeak.

Really? I understood that a 'Needs Archived' log cannot be removed by the cache owner, a reviewer must be involved. That's why they are the log of choice for geo-vandals, they sit on the cache page until a reviewer/GC.com gets around to deleting them.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

missbug

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 13:52:34 »
from the cache owner to me:
Thanks for your support.  I have deleted the "Needs Archive" log. If it's ok with you I will delete your log entry to keep the log consistent.

graciious

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 15:44:55 »

and maybe not even a "needs maintanence" log

I have to agree, I noticed a new cacher had logged a find on a cache in the east end, and followed it up with a needs maintenance because the container was frozen and they couldn't get it open.

So technically they didn't sign the log so they didn't find the cache..   I sent them an email about another issue but if I talk to them again I will make note of that "find".

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 15:54:11 »

So technically they didn't sign the log so they didn't find the cache.   

Careful now, if you insist they sign the log they may take a pick-axe and free that cache from the ice the hard way! Then post a needs maintenance log too....

I've had a few containers destroyed by people who insisted on digging them out of the ice! Much better for everyone to post a found it log with an explanation or a photo.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

narcissa

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 19:01:11 »
I think it is stemming from some nonsense on the Groundspeak forum. A number of regular commenters were targeted by this stupidity.

CacheDrone

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 22:35:26 »
FWIW, I'm one of two reviewers that receive an email for any "Needs Archived" request in Ontario. 

We take each request seriously but also look at the account that is making the request.  In the two recent cases, GG7 and Narcissa, it was pretty obvious that these were sock puppets with some personal grudge to waste everyone's time with.  I wrote to both people as soon as I was aware.  Kudos to the two affected players for their maturity and not engaging.  Also for their patience since these things happened during non-work hours at Groundspeak (like cowards often do). 

To also set the record straight, Cache Owners "can" delete "almost" any log on their listings.  This is a function of Cache Ownership as outlined in the Listing Guidelines and in fact CO's are often required to delete logs that are bogus and also may elect to email contact@geocaching.com to report abuse.  Electing to delete a log is not an action to be taken lightly, and the deletion of valid logs should never be done.  Reviewers can, but very rarely do, delete logs.

8)  CD