Author Topic: Safety Gear  (Read 999 times)

cipher78

Safety Gear
« on: February 23, 2011, 20:05:36 »
While whacking my way through the bush today and getting swatted in the head (face, chest, arms, legs, back, and neck) with branches, twigs, brush, and other tree parts, I started to wonder:

What sort of 'safety-gear' do you carry/wear when caching?

Since I've started out, I've made sure that wherever I go, I have a pair of safety glasses (clear and smoke for sun) on while bushwhacking. I have not so nice visions of my vision being permanently altered by a wayward twig lined up just right (or wrong depending on your viewpoint--which seems to often be beyond the twig in front of me).

I always have a water-bottle on me, along with some basic first aid supplies. I've also made sure there is something covering my head (lately a toque, but in the summer a hat or bandanna) as again today I had several trees attempt to scalp me. My bare minimum so far is rounded out by a spare battery for my Blackberry (my primary caching unit), a Fox40 whistle, and a standard compass.

So I am curious what do you wear and carry as essential to your caching experience in terms of keeping you safe and in one piece?

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
Re: Safety Gear
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 20:40:20 »
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

graciious

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 22:51:49 »
My wife bought me a wonderful survival kit for my caching trips. It has tons of items in it, including duct tape, matches, saw, headlamp, medicine (imodium, gravol, tylenol, asprine etc...) emergency blanket and countless other items. It all packs into a small 6 by 6 pack (about 2 - 3 inches thick) and fits perfectly at the bottom of my bag.

The red-haired witch

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 00:08:34 »
So I am curious what do you wear and carry as essential to your caching experience in terms of keeping you safe and in one piece?

Many threads on what to carry, and always many theories on what is really essential.  You have to balance having what you may need with carrying too much weight.  And of course it all depends where you are going.  And on the season.  In May in Gatineau Park, I consider DEET essential to my survival... or at least to my sanity.

But I'd say you might at least want to add this to the kit you describe:  fire starting supplies (at least a lighter), a knife or multitool, and water purification tablets (very light, but they make your water bottle refillable almost anywhere...)  Knowledge is also very light but very useful  ;).  Take a survival course if you can, read on the subject, or watch tv shows (laugh at Bear Grylls' antics, do what Les Stroud says 8))

Most important thing of course, is always someone who knows where you went and when you are supposed to be back!