Author Topic: ET highway if you have plans cancel now!! oops MEAN REBOOK!!!!  (Read 5352 times)

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
Re: ET highway if you have plans cancel now!! oops MEAN REBOOK!!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 09:48:18 »
A note from one of the cache owners states the following:

"If you haven't heard...we had to archive all 1021 ET caches as of today (1 March). I am afraid it is WAY our of our hands. Groundspeak pulled the plug on the caches due to Nevada Department Of Transportation filed a law suit through the Nevada General Attorney's office. There is nothing we can do.... So sorry for the bad news...it happened fast! A close call with a snow plow was what finally pushed NDOT over the edge"

Do they have the NDoT's permission this time?

Yes indeed.

In fact archiving the whole 'highway' may just have been a big misunderstanding, NDoT may only have been concerned about a few of the locations in the mountain passes and Groundspeak misunderstood their references. What we have here is a failure to communicate...

No matter, the new 'E.T.Highway' has input from NDot now, satisfying their safety concerns. The way the Cacheowner's explain it in the E.T.Highway page, link on the event page, there's input from several levels of Government now.

Blue -

Interesting how stories change overtime.  I suspect there was pressure put on DOT and that they may have altered things to look better.  OR  miscommunication/uneducated moves.  We saw it with the last cache blown up here when then the police first spoke to media about us placing caches to look like bombs a day later some talking/sharing/education and the story was different.  Either way things worked out, partnership was formed and all is good.

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

flyguy35

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 14:07:39 »
Road trip part2????

cavecats

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 16:24:23 »
I'd do it again  ;D
Actually going to be in the event area....a week too early  :'(

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 18:15:27 »
I wonder if we can rent a 6 or 8 person van??  ::) ;D
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

RDLtrekker

• Full Time Cacher
  • Just one more....!
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 21:26:34 »
My arm could be twisted to do another road trip....  ;)
Just one more... :) !

Sakidoo

• Global Moderator
  • Full Time Cacher
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2011, 20:21:47 »
I'm certainly up to a trip there.

flyguy35

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 07:43:10 »
Well it looks like I stirred up some interest in another E.T Hwy road trip. I will do some work on vehicle, hotels and flights. Steve, I believe the van we got the last time seated 7 correct? I am sure it would not take much to fill 7 seats. I am thinking maybe the thanksgiving weekend. Get there on a Friday and come back on a Tuesday. What does everyone think?

cavecats

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 09:46:18 »
Well it looks like I stirred up some interest in another E.T Hwy road trip. I will do some work on vehicle, hotels and flights. Steve, I believe the van we got the last time seated 7 correct? I am sure it would not take much to fill 7 seats. I am thinking maybe the thanksgiving weekend. Get there on a Friday and come back on a Tuesday. What does everyone think?

Poop!!! I'll be on a cruise with my Mom at that time.  ;D  I guess I'll have to do it again with my hubby  ::)

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2011, 10:52:53 »
The van we got last time had a bench seat in the back I think, but I doubt that we'd squeeze 3 people back there comfortably for 12 hours a day. With a cooler and gear I think 5 would be the max for that vehicle.

Logistically, since there will be cachers doing the trail for the first time, they will want to do the Alien Head while they are there. Not a problem since we could drop them off to hike it, and we'd drive around getting other nearby non-trail caches for a hour or so.

But there will be over 1500 caches to do, so we might investigate staying at several different hotels to minimize the driving (I know this might mean Rachel, gulp). Maybe 2 nights at Windmill like before and the third in Tonopah, which would be closer.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 08:57:41 »
That was a very positive news report.

http://www.fox5vegas.com/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=6405748

It won't satisfy the anti-power trail crowd, and it doesn't make me want to book a trip either, but it explains very well how this quiet little corner of no-where USA has benefited from geocaching.

Blue -
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 12:31:16 by bluelamb03 »
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 10:31:36 »
Wonderful promo for geocaching...! I see a new addition to the ET trail too. Check out the map around http://coord.info/GC32Q4P.

I also love how the new extended trail takes you up past http://coord.info/GC16VQ2 and onto the oldest Nevada geocache GCF9 http://coord.info/GCF9.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 10:35:18 by model12 »
Steve

- Dr. Seuss

cavecats

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 11:12:05 »
...and as someone who has experienced a portion of this revamped series...it ain't as easy as the first time.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 15:05:48 »

But there will be over 1500 caches to do, so we might investigate staying at several different hotels to minimize the driving (I know this might mean Rachel, gulp). Maybe 2 nights at Windmill like before and the third in Tonopah, which would be closer.

There's the new UFO series to do (shaped like a saucer beside the Alien Head) too. So that adds to the time needed. Then a drive south into California for the Route 66 caches. Nice long roadtrip.
Steve

- Dr. Seuss