Author Topic: Paperless with an eReader?  (Read 4105 times)

Femmeng

• Baby Cacher
Paperless with an eReader?
« on: March 04, 2011, 21:51:44 »
I am currently looking at buying an ereader. Is there a way to get cache descriptions in pdf format, to load onto an ereader. I know you used to be able to do it from GC.com but I don't see that option any more.
Femmeng

Nikon-Guy

Re: Paperless with an eReader?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 09:10:20 »
You can always use the "Print" with or without logs option and use CutePDF Writer, it's freeware software that'll allow you to print to a PDF file.

It installs itself as a printer, select it when you print and it'll pop up a window asking you what you want to name it and where to save it.

http://www.cutepdf.com/

BTW, I recommend the Kobo EReader, it's lighter weight that the Sony ereader.  You can pick it up almost anywhere now, Walmart, Bestbuy, Chapters....  And you can get your books from anywhere...  For example, Kindle, you need to go to Amazon to get your books.  Nook, have to go to Barnes and Noble...  Etc.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 09:14:07 by Nikon-Guy »

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 11:13:19 »
For example, Kindle, you need to go to Amazon to get your books.

I recently bought my wife a Kindle, and she is very happy with it.  The statement about only getting books from Amazon is not entirely true however.  There is a wonderful piece of free software out there called Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/) which can convert ANY ebook format, or PDF/DOC/TXT etc.. file into any other ebook reader format.  At the end of the day, it doesn't matter any more which reader you have, just convert from one to the other.

Also, if you know where to look, you'll never have to pay for another book ever again...  ;)

Nikon-Guy

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 15:07:13 »
Yes, with Calibre, you can do that.

But trying to find a Kindle off line... well... that's a bit of a challenge now...

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 19:28:10 »
Also, if you know where to look, you'll never have to pay for another book ever again...  ;)

If you don't support the authors, they will stop publishing. I guess it's a win-win situation when you pay for what you read.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 22:14:03 »
If you don't support the authors, they will stop publishing. I guess it's a win-win situation when you pay for what you read.

True enough.  We buy our fair share of books.  We just donated 17 photocopier paper boxes full of paperback books to our local library, and I have another 10 boxes in my basement.  Those are all read.   Our library upstairs has another 200 or so paperbacks and hardcovers waiting to be read, plus our personal collections of favourites that never leave.  

That said, if I want to read a book by a new author that I've never tried before, I'm not going to shell out $30 for the hardcover right away.  I may choose to download the book and if I like it, buy the ebook or the paperback when it comes out.  If I like the author enough, I would continue to buy the books going froward.

Neil Gaiman has a pretty good opinion of how internet "piracy" has affected his book sales.

http://wimp.com/neilgaiman/
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 22:20:29 by kirok »

Nikon-Guy

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 11:57:49 »
And I hear Britney Spears has had to downgrade to a Gulf Stream 5 from her Gulf Stream 6, private airplane...  Yes, it's so sad to see what these artists are losing over internet piracy...

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 15:03:46 »
And I hear Britney Spears has had to downgrade to a Gulf Stream 5 from her Gulf Stream 6, private airplane...  Yes, it's so sad to see what these artists are losing over internet piracy...

I don't know for anglophone writers, maybe they're all rich, but it's not the case for everyone. Don't tell me you pay for some and not others based on their personal fortunes. It doesn't matter anyway. The principle is this forum shouldn't promote any form of piracy.

Nikon-Guy

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 17:31:54 »
Obviously, he missed the joke...

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 21:16:03 »
Obviously, he missed the joke...

Oh, it was sarcasm. Unfortunately, your joke is what a lot of people think.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 21:23:44 »
Leaving aside questions of copyright infringement (though Gaiman's point of view was very interesting; piracy or advertisement? I got a lot of books on loan before purchasing as well.....) there are many free books out there, free of copyright and easy to download. For some public domain books take a look at www.gutenberg.ca

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

JSDAFM

• Jr. Cacher
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 11:44:18 »
The Ottawa Public Library has ebooks to borrow, I have never done it so I don't know about the lending period, if any.
http://biblioottawalibrary.ca/en/main/find/download

I'm not sure of the Gatineau library.. but it might be on the way!

Femmeng

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 13:07:56 »
Thanks for the info on the pdf's, I will file that away for reference.
My son just bought a 9" Pandigital Novel, from Costco.ca, and he is thrilled with it. He says it has a nice big screen, is wifi enabled and has an Android operating system. Almost a tablet computer for about $200 so I think that is the way I will go. I will have to see if it will take the Android caching app.
Femmeng

Nikon-Guy

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 13:10:21 »
The Ottawa Public Library has ebooks to borrow, I have never done it so I don't know about the lending period, if any.
http://biblioottawalibrary.ca/en/main/find/download

I'm not sure of the Gatineau library.. but it might be on the way!

As an epub book from the library, it has software built into the e-book that will expire the book after a certain left of time.

graciious

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 14:18:06 »
I have found that this doesn't apply if you don't re-connect your book to the computer.  My ebook included a portable usb charger that allows me to charge it via any standard house-hold outlet.

The book I got from the library over 2 months ago is still there, however on my computer it was "returned" after the 21 day period.