Author Topic: Oregon 450 GPS on an airplane - Wonky Elevation reported  (Read 2184 times)

Zartimus

• Baby Cacher
I used my GPS for the first time on a plane and was amazed to see how fast we were going. At one time he hit 850KM per hour. 778km in the pic. The elevation was wonky on the regular screen though, showing 6791 feet. When I switched to the sat screen however, it correctly showed 41155 feet (we were cruising a tad above 40,000 feet).

Anyone know why this would be?

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
Re: Oregon 450 GPS on an airplane - Wonky Elevation reported
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 14:36:52 »
I suspect that the barametric altimeter was fooled by the pressurized interior of the plane. I'm presuming that this means that the pressure on an airplane is comparabe to being at 6900 feet. That's why my half empty bottle of water crushes down when we land. Cool!

Zartimus

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 14:40:41 »
I suspect that the barametric altimeter was fooled by the pressurized interior of the plane. I'm presuming that this means that the pressure on an airplane is comparabe to being at 6900 feet. That's why my half empty bottle of water crushes down when we land. Cool!

I reset the GPS's barometric altimeter in the plane (somewhere after deep diving into the settings) but it didn't change things. Yeah, maybe that is it.

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 15:30:21 »
I didn't have a barametric elevation on my e-Trex when we went to Disney but it is interesting to see the pressurized vs the actual elevation.  Next time I'm flying I'll have to try my 450.

Starkiller

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 15:55:30 »
I've had some odd elevation readings come on my Oregon as well, which was a pretty big obstacle in solving a certain 3D multicache in Winchester...  ::)

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 20:24:29 »
Very cool Zart!  8)  In your second photo, you're coordinates indicate you were flying over Cuba.

Curious George

Starkiller

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 09:31:06 »
Very cool Zart!  8)  In your second photo, you're coordinates indicate you were flying over Cuba.

Careful not to land! GPS units are illegal technologies there... not that it hasn't stopped me from placing caches there :D

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 12:40:58 »
I've had some odd elevation readings come on my Oregon as well, which was a pretty big obstacle in solving a certain 3D multicache in Winchester...  ::)

That one was placed with my eTrex Legend, so turn off your fancy-pants altimeter, and use the satellite elevation, and you'd probably be OK. ;)