Author Topic: Lonely cache macro  (Read 3098 times)

missbug

Lonely cache macro
« on: April 01, 2011, 11:48:06 »
The only macro I could find to help calculate how many 'lonely' caches I've found, is from 2007, and it doesn't seem to work if other people logged a find on the same day I did.

How can I easily find out the value of my 'lonely' caches, short of searching each find I think may qualify?

Juicepig

Re: Lonely cache macro
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 13:11:44 »
might want to poke cron to check the cache - I checked the area over pretty well, and still couldn't manage to find a "regular" size cache

JSDAFM

• Jr. Cacher
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 11:42:29 »
do you have an updated found PQ?  do those how more then just your log in it?  It compares the date between your log and the log before, so if there isn't anything I think it returns nothing.

the other thing is that you need your User ID. I had some problem with that before too, and I know someone else did too.

I started with a smaller number of days (and a smaller set then all my finds) just to see how it works and build up to the year long caches.

I hope that cache is still there.. I have a few years and I hope to finally find this cache!!

missbug

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 11:19:36 »
yes, i am going from an updated PQ of my finds.
no, they don't show more than just my logs... how do i get that info?

the macro won't even find any with 5 days in between so i am definitely doing something wrong.

thanks for your help!

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 15:29:00 »
A "my finds" PQ will usually only have the most recent 5 or 10 finds in it, plus your find log.  This is useless for the Lonely Cache macro, as you need at a minimum the last find log BEFORE yours in order for it to do the math. 

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 16:25:37 »
A "my finds" PQ will usually only have the most recent 5 or 10 finds in it, plus your find log.  This is useless for the Lonely Cache macro, as you need at a minimum the last find log BEFORE yours in order for it to do the math. 

I correct you: a "My Finds" PQ only contains your log. If you have more in GSAK, that's because you had them before. If you take a peek in the GPX file, you'll see it only contains one log (yours).

I guess the only solution to automate such a search (lonely caches) is to use the addlogs macro on each of your finds. Otherwise, you'll likely miss some. The best is to remember which ones you found that were lonely.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 19:19:22 »
I stand corrected.  Thanks cron.  I'm so used to having logs in GSAK, I forgot which GPX file they all came from.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 19:20:42 »
One could probably write a macro to only grab the last find log before yours on the page and add them to GSAK. 

missbug

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 20:59:58 »
ok thanks.  ::)

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 22:27:26 »
ok thanks.  ::)

LOL.  I realize that my last comment may not have proved helpful, but it was meant more as "I'm thinking out loud".  There are some on this forum that could write such a macro, so maybe they will get inspired and do so.  I bet hubby-to-be could do it.

You could spend all you time running the AddLogs macro against each one of your finds, that that is not practical and is time consuming.  It may also get your account banned by GC.com (according to the macro author) if they catch you using it too often.

Putting aside writing programs to accomplish your goal, I can think of a way to do it, although it's not very quick and requires the help of many geo-friends.  

In GSAK, I can run a custom search through all the caches in my database, for caches that have a found log by you.  These can then be easily saved to a GPX file and sent to you.  With enough GPX files from various cachers imported into your GSAK, you'll have a good sampling of logs that the macro will return something.

As an example, in my database of 4000 caches, 918 of them have found logs by you in them.   Of those 918, 701 are caches I have not found yet, but you have logged them in the past, and those logs got added to my GSAK database after frequent pocket query updates.  
If I sent you the GPX of them, and you merge it with your GSAK database, you'll have a better sampling of logs in your database.  With enough samples, you'd get enough historical logs to get you going.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 22:29:12 by kirok »

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 12:26:04 »
I checked the area over pretty well, and still couldn't manage to find a "regular" size cache

The question is: do pigs need glasses?  ;D

I went there this morning and saw the cache 20 meters before reaching it. Someone had moved it from the tree it was originally placed into to the small tree 5 meters away. It was totally exposed, but the logbook and everything in it was intact. I moved it to a better secluded hiding spot about 50 meters away.

missbug

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 19:36:49 »
sounds complicated, kirok! i don't want it that bad  ;) (thank you for your always fine efforts and time!)

good to know the cache is still available though.  :D