Author Topic: Where not to hide a geocache.....  (Read 3926 times)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Where not to hide a geocache.....
« on: May 03, 2011, 10:55:15 »
I know this is old news, common sense stuff, but it never hurts to repeat the obvious...

http://youtu.be/SMqaFfeHTKI

Besides it's funny!

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
Re: Where not to hide a geocache.....
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 11:33:02 »
I know this is old news, common sense stuff, but it never hurts to repeat the obvious...

Thumbs up on the find.  Very good for people new to the sport to see and also good refresher for the experienced ones who suddenly think 'boy did I just get a cool idea!'

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 14:32:04 »
Makes me think of the new cache at MacKenzie Estate in Gatineau Park...

GPComd

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 22:06:55 »
Should be required viewing before putting a cache out.  That and have a minimum of XX finds.  Otherwise, it's just another AMIAT hidden in a residential area, with all kinds of warnings in the cache description about muggles - and then they wonder why it got muggled......

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 08:18:25 »
Tweety`s Nest, http://coord.info/GC27C6J, was far enough from the airport property to be safe, I thought, but apparently the Ottawa police still had some issues with it....

Another cache gone due to 'security' issues....

Blue -
- Sheila Mendonça

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 08:43:54 »
Give me a break! Of all the things that could be done around the airport if someone was so inclined, and they pick this as a "security risk"

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 08:46:25 »
I suspect due to recent news events that security agents and police are on heighten awareness.  Something to be aware of. 

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 08:49:12 »
I don't think the cache itself was a problem, but the only way to access that cache easily is to drive down a long dead end road right along the perimeter fence.... Since there is nothing at all down that road, and no way through, people driving down there, parking and diving into the bushes may have raised suspicions.

Blue -
- Sheila Mendonça

portera

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 10:16:16 »
"No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of." - Men in Black

I had started writing this diatribe about Machiavelli, and freedom et al, but decided against it. Regardless, I doubt that Osama's buddies are planning a massive attack using phony geocaches...

Binrat

• Jr. Cacher
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 18:11:19 »
During a search for a missing person the OPP found my "Back Pond" cache, very impressive as it is usually way out of sight.  I emailed the officer who left his card in the cache, he thought it was a fun sport.

Binrat

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 18:58:14 »
Considering all of the people "parking" at the end of the runway at leitrim plus the number of beer bottles and assorted other garbage scattered around the area I think a few geocaches and cachers should be the least of their worries.

portera

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 19:27:38 »
Considering all of the people "parking" at the end of the runway at leitrim plus the number of beer bottles and assorted other garbage scattered around the area I think a few geocaches and cachers should be the least of their worries.

Amen brutha!

portera

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 19:41:13 »
Not to mention the condoms I saw at the GZ for "HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE" that I found today. How hard up do you have to be to get it on at the side of Leitrim road?  :o

marvin_gardens

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 05:44:33 »
Tweety`s Nest, http://coord.info/GC27C6J, was far enough from the airport property to be safe, I thought, but apparently the Ottawa police still had some issues with it....

<image removed>

Another cache gone due to 'security' issues....

Blue -

Does this count as signing the log and putting it back... unlike the Ikea one? :)

Geo-Cat!

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 07:43:03 »
Whether I think it's a security risk or not, a good hide or not (LOVED Devil's Horns), if the cops have asked me to stay away, I will.  Not worth it - I don't need the extra heartburn  :P