Author Topic: Just say no to driving on rail trails  (Read 5156 times)

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
Re: Just say no to driving on rail trails
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 09:49:14 »
Oh, there's plenty of finger-wagging around here. Sometimes you're the wagger, sometimes you're the waggee. ;)

narcissa

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 12:02:49 »
I think people driving on trails/road allowances like this in general takes away from a public perception of Geocaching.

This may very well be true, but the onus is on the cache owner to anticipate that. It's no secret that geocachers can't be relied upon to read cache descriptions ahead of time - careful and considerate cache placement is the best way to protect the public's perception of the game. Shouting at geocachers for taking an easier/faster way to get the cache is irrational, particularly when the easier/faster method is completely legal.

geobob7

• Jr. Cacher
  • GC3R69H
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 19:51:05 »
My point is that you should walk/bike this trail if you want to, if it enhances your 'adventure', gives you some sort of Zen experience. Just be prepared to step aside as the locals drive by.

But if you would like another kind of adventure altogether.....

Dunno where the Zen comes in, there's nothing weird about walking. Not where I come from, anyway. But it doesn't sound as if it would be much fun to try and walk/bike to these caches unless you are partial to the Death Race 2000 scenario. I'm just glad I found out about all this before I made the trip.

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 19:56:26 »
Oh come on! Death Race 2000? I have walked the trail three times, and have encountered a few locals on 4-wheelers and a couple of people driving their pickups to the bridge to go fishing. There was nothing  threatening about it whatsoever. If you want a dedicated trail that is solely for walkers or cyclists, then you might be disappointed, but it is really not fair to claim that it is dangerous to people walking or riding the trail.

The red-haired witch

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 09:04:09 »
I doubt that there is enough motorized traffic to make the "trail" really dangerous for collisions, but there might be enough to turn it into a muddy mess in some seasons.  When I went to do the explorers series with the geomob, I was really tempted to put my bicycle back on my car and drive down the trail, despite the fact that I love rail to trail biking (I did 40 km on the PPJ this weekend, a really nice stone dust bike trail on an old rail bed).  But my Subaru is better in deep mud than my hybrid bicycle.  It was honestly quite difficult for me to make it down the whole trail, and it is a short one.  Yes, the cache description said the trail could be wet, and trails can always get muddy, but a trail that is used only by bicycles seem to never get as bad as one that is used by ATVs and pick-ups.

So I think fair disclosure of the real nature of any trail/road is always best in the description.   Even for those who intend to bike, it would be good to know that local are driving down that road regularly.  It would let people plan on bringing a mountain bike or wait until there has been a few weeks without rain...

Tegiro

• Jr. Cacher
    • Descendants of Bertrand Chesnay
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 21:08:27 »
Ref: Bytown and Prescott Rail Trail Series. Well, after reading all the posts on this subject I decided to do the trail...feet first!
Yeah, it was nice to just walk this trail and listen to the sounds of nature all around, frogs, birds, even mosquitoes. This is a narrow trail and I cannot see a "car" using it. Good for walkers and bikers, maybe ATVs and snowmobiles but I like walking so I enjoyed it very much. So quiet and pleasant.
I did find all caches and have to thank Portera for the work he did.

Tegiro

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2011, 22:29:18 »
This is a narrow trail and I cannot see a "car" using it.

Really?

I have walked the trail three times, and have encountered a few locals on 4-wheelers and a couple of people driving their pickups to the bridge to go fishing.

I've seen several 'cars' using it as well, a tractor and a couple of trucks too! Narrow? Yes! It's an old rail bed, but no one had any trouble getting by each other. I'm glad Tegiro enjoyed his walk, "So quiet and pleasant". I enjoyed my walk on the lower section of the trail for the 'zombie walk' caches by CanadianZombie, and my bike ride on the middle section for the Explorer series by Family Ties, and my drive on the northern section for the Bytown and Prescott series by Portera also.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

Canadianzombie

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 22:36:22 »
Well I admit that I drove this section of the trail, I didn't intend to as I thought I'd walk it, but I was told I may have to come home early and went for the somewhat quicker method. It certainly was an adventure going over the bridge, but I understand and respect where you're coming from. The other parts of the trail I walked (the explorers, at night in the pouring rain) and the zombie caches with the zombie walk people. I take a little exception to the FTF's on the zombie trail. It was just my way of thanking everyone for showing up. In general mob finds aren't my thing, but if you were there, you would've seen that the FTF's were secondary to the fun we had pacing about like the walking dead. Again, it's a game and as much as we'd like everyone to play by the same rules, we all don't (does that make it not a game then, lol). In any event, I had a great time with Chris that day finding the caches and really enjoyed the variety of hides out there on the trail. You should take comfort in the fact that you've provided a great many cachers with a days worth of fun, as you have in the past and will no doubt do in the future.
Cheers
CZ