Author Topic: How to Subscribe/Unsubscribe from the geoMob listserv  (Read 2371 times)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
How to Subscribe/Unsubscribe from the geoMob listserv
« on: August 11, 2010, 14:51:57 »
Majordomo is an automated system which allows users to subscribe and unsubscribe to mailing lists, and to retrieve files from list archives.

You can interact with the Majordomo software by sending it commands in the body of mail messages addressed to
 "majord @ thehostedbox . com ". (remove the spaces in the address).

Please do not put your commands on the subject line; Majordomo does not process commands in the subject line.

You may put multiple Majordomo commands in the same mail message.
Put each command on a line by itself.
If you use a "signature block" at the end of your mail, Majordomo may mistakenly believe each line of your message is a command; you will then receive spurious error messages.  To keep this from happening, either put a line starting with a hyphen ("-") before your signature, or put a line with just the word
       end
on it in the same place.  This will stop the Majordomo software from processing your signature as bad commands.
 Here are some of the things you can do using Majordomo:

SUBSCRIBING TO THE LIST

Once you've determined that you wish to subscribe to one or more lists on this system, you can send commands to Majordomo to have it add you to the list, so you can begin receiving mailings.
To receive list mail at the address from which you're sending your mail, simply say "subscribe" followed by the list's name:

subscribe geomob

If for some reason you wish to have the mailings go to a different address (a friend's address, a specific other system on which you have an account, or an address which is more correct than the one that automatically appears in the "From:" header on the mail you send), you would add that address to the command.  For instance, if you're sending a request from your work account, but wish to receive "demo-list" mail at your personal account (for which we will use "jpublic @ my-isp . com" as an example), you'd put the line

subscribe geomob jqpublic@my-isp.com

in the mail message body.

Upon subscribing, you should receive an introductory message, containing list policies and features.  Save this message for future reference; it will also contain exact directions for unsubscribing.  If you lose the intro mail and would like another copy of the policies, send this message to majordomo:
       intro demo-list
(substituting, of course, the real name of your list for "demo-list").

UNSUBSCRIBING FROM MAILING LISTS

Your original intro message contains the exact command which should be used to remove your address from the list.  However, in most cases, you may simply send the command "unsubscribe" followed by the list name:
       unsubscribe demo-list
(This command may fail if your provider has changed the way your address is shown in your mail.)
To remove an address other than the one from which you're sending the request, give that address in the command:
       unsubscribe demo-list jqpublic @ my-isp . com

Blue-
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

lacwitt

Re: How to Subscribe/Unsubscribe from the geoMob listserv
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 14:15:20 »
I've tried this and it doesn't work.  Is there an update on how to unsubscribe from the mailing list.  (I want to change what email account it goes to).

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 10:43:46 »
Try unsubscribing from all the hosted lists by:

> you can tell majord @ thehostedbox . com to remove
> the address in question from all lists on this server by using "*"
> in place of the list name:
>
> unsubscribe *

in case you're getting the name wrong, and be sure to use the "end" command in case your signature block is cocking things up.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

Keeper of Maps

• Baby Cacher
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 16:00:07 »
Also be sure to use plain text rather than HTML/rich formatting. :)