Author Topic: GAG16 Discussions  (Read 23085 times)

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
Re: GAG16 Discussions
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2011, 09:44:56 »
My GAG16 puzzle has passed and the multi has all of the tags/final locations approved so it should clear once I officially submit it.  I won't drop of the actual cache containers off until a few days before though.

Can't wait for that weekend, the schedule has been cleared, ready to go.

Sens-eh

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2011, 13:41:42 »
Bit of a noob question, but can someone tell me what the protocol is for starting the hunt on Friday at 6PM?

I mean can we be standing at the trailhead at 6PM or is there some other designated area one must be at the designated time when searching can begin?  Since I'm new I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but maybe just once I will pick a cache to go for and have a chance at a FTF.

Sorry I have never made it out to any monthly events (Tuesdays are bad for me, as are the Saturday morning mobs). But maybe this Saturday evening thing will be my chance to finally meet some of you!

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2011, 14:43:54 »
The protocol is not to search before 6PM.  If the cache is a park-n-grab then park right beside it and jump out of your car at 6PM and sign in.  If the cache is a bit of a hike then you are supposed to wait at the trailhead until 6PM then hike in and look for the cache.

You can work on puzzle caches such as internet searches or looking at landmarks to get the required info but I don't believe you can do much fieldwork in advance.  If the pre-work you do results in having co-ords then great but you can't go look for the cache until after 6PM.

I believe what most people do (and what worked for me last year) was to grab a few trads first for FTF's then grab a couple of pre-solved puzzles where you could get FTF's even a couple of hours later as not everyone solves the puzzles ahead of time.

I'm sure there will be more replies to clarify what the rules protocol is.

GreyingJay

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2011, 16:06:20 »
That sounds about right.  Just don't be caught hovering above the container at 6pm... or have a finder who started the hunt at 6pm open the cache to discover your name already in the logbook.

As for FTF potential, another perspective is that most people will probably go for the easy park-n-grabs in hopes of a quick FTF (or many), so chances are there'll be less competition on puzzle caches and ones with longer hikes.

graciious

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2011, 20:52:26 »
You could be lucky like me and and wait patiently next to a traditional for a FTF at 6pm, only to have another cacher show up and sign the log 3 minutes before 6pm.  Who am I to say his/her clock is wrong? 

This year when 6pm rolls around I will be doing something else. I certainly hope everyone else has a good time though.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2011, 22:14:22 »
Presuming (ha!) that your gps is set to our proper time zone, then everyone's time is the same, since it's defaulted by the satellite. Cheaters will use watches or iphones or sundials that they manually set in order to excuse their reprehensible behaviour, and rob you of a FTF, whatever that is... ;)

Public humiliation of offenders should take care of their future caching career and status among the geocaching community, not that I would ever advise anyone to do that... ::) ::)
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

graciious

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2011, 13:08:56 »
In my case, it was cachers that come out only for gag, don't go to events and don't really cache at any other time of the year (besides gag events).  I am just glad to hear there are more caches being placed. Feel free to hide them in my neck of the woods. (Orleans)

GreyingJay

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2011, 09:56:33 »
There was one time I cheated on a GAG cache, but only because I was invited to beta-test the hide.  I signed the log a few pages in so that others would have the chance to see a blank first page and claim a legitimate FTF.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2011, 10:19:15 »
Kevin raises a good point, one that we've mentioned before, but deserves another go.

Having someone Beta-test your cache, especially your puzzle cache, is paramount during any GAG-like event. During these events your cache is going to experience a high volume of visitors in a short period of time. You want to be VERY sure that you are not sending them all to the wrong place, private property or into a dangerous area just because you made a mistake in your puzzle.

It will also save you the trouble of trying to fix your cache while you are trying to cache yourself, or disabling it as you cache - and the message NOT reaching cachers in the field in time.

And you won't have a lot of angry cachers waiting for you to arrive at the dinner Saturday night.  ;D
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2011, 12:39:23 »
for puzzle it is a good idea to have someone solve before publishing to make sure answers are the same and have a geochecker so cachers can confirm is helpful for something like GAG (and if needed create a zone of a few meters around the GZ vrs a precise pin point, some puzzles that have rounding and aproximate...)

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

GreyingJay

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2011, 13:34:21 »
Even if there's nothing wrong with the puzzle it's still a good idea to get other people to try it just so you can gauge its difficulty.  A few years ago I put out a GAG cache with what I thought was a cute and simple puzzle based on the punchline of a geeky joke.  However, not everyone thinks like I do and many didn't get the joke, leaving a LOT of people asking for hints.

Angutas Rest

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2011, 18:02:44 »

So, the GAG16 event will be Saturday, October 29th.  6PM to 9PM

Royal Canadian Legion - Montgomery Branch
330 Kent Street
Ottawa, ON

N 45° 24.835 W 075° 41.895

MARK YOUR CALENDARS! Watch for a cache page coming soon.

A couple of questions, as I have never been to a GAG event.

So the Event is the 29th, but we can search for caches at 6pm the day before? What time are the caches available to look at? Are there special caches not published yet? Will there be groups, or are we to do caches alone? And what is the Sweet 16 theme? Is that for the caches or the event?

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2011, 22:17:01 »

A couple of questions, as I have never been to a GAG event.

So the Event is the 29th, but we can search for caches at 6pm the day before? What time are the caches available to look at? Are there special caches not published yet? Will there be groups, or are we to do caches alone? And what is the Sweet 16 theme? Is that for the caches or the event?

http://canadascapitalcachers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=817.0

You can start searching at 6pm on FRIDAY.

The caches will be published sometime on Wednesday, en masse. This gives you 2 days to solve puzzles, make strategy regarding routes, etc.

Straggler caches will get published when the reviewers get to them in the queue. In order to be sure your cache get published on Wed.,, be sure to have it submitted a week or more in advance. The sooner the better.

The theme is for the caches, but if you want to come to the Sat event dressed in a sweet 16 costume, we'll be glad to take photos and post them on facebook. Glad to help.

Steve

- Dr. Seuss

GreyingJay

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2011, 10:40:14 »
Will there be groups, or are we to do caches alone? And what is the Sweet 16 theme? Is that for the caches or the event?

The theme is for the caches, though you don't even have to follow the theme if you want.  I'm betting there will be some multis with 16 waypoints, or some puzzles involving base-16 conversions... but hiders can be creative!

As for groups, that's up to you.  The geomob does their usual breakfast at Al's at 7:00 followed by a day of caching on Saturday. You can join them, or make arrangements with your own group to cache together, or go it alone.  Either way, since there will be many people converging on relatively few caches, the likelihood is high that you will meet other people on the trails.

Angutas Rest

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2011, 20:44:19 »
Coolio. I have plenty of silly pictures on facebook, what's one more?

;p

I'm working that weekend, but will see what arrangements can be made.