Author Topic: GAG16 Discussions  (Read 21347 times)

FoxEcho

Re: GAG16 Discussions
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2011, 22:41:05 »
I just received the box of corporate contribution that I had asked my employer (Nav Canada) to put on the gift table: 2 polar fleeces, 2 t-shirts, 4 baseball caps, 2 water bottles and 2 coffee cups, cool!   :)

missbug

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2011, 08:39:38 »
nice!  ;D

lostinthegarden

• Jr. Cacher
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2011, 19:26:12 »
We're looking forward to finally participating in a GAG event!  When GAG14 came around, we were raw n00bs, and we had no idea the event was even happening.  For GAG15, we were out of the country, though we did place one cache for the event.

We already have three GAG16 caches submitted and approved, and will likely be adding one or two more.  See y'all on the trails!

GreyingJay

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2011, 09:27:09 »
We're looking forward to finally participating in a GAG event!  When GAG14 came around, we were raw n00bs, and we had no idea the event was even happening.  For GAG15, we were out of the country, though we did place one cache for the event.

We already have three GAG16 caches submitted and approved, and will likely be adding one or two more.  See y'all on the trails!

GAG events are a great way for newbies to get a crash-course in the social aspects of the game -- meeting the other players and sampling a wide variety of interesting and funny caches within a very short time frame.

I was lucky to have started geocaching about a week before GAG5.  Although I felt completely like a fish out of water when I first entered that restaurant, I was quickly spotted (the GPS hanging from my neck, of course) and welcomed into the fray. I had only 4 finds :)

missbug

« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2011, 09:50:51 »
Word is going around that it is too late to submit cache pages for GAG16 caches. People are saying "oh well, I missed the boat this year".

There is still time, right?! Go for it, everyone!

;D

GreyingJay

« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2011, 10:09:17 »
Shouldn't be too late -- only events require a minimum two-week lead time.  You could theoretically submit a GAG16 cache on the Friday afternoon, and if a reviewer was available at that moment, it could be published right away.

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2011, 10:39:31 »
The advice is to submit them sooner then later.  This allows time for issues to be resolved and keep reviewers sane.  If everyone were to submit their event cache the day before/of the event then you are 1)hoping a reviewer sees them (it is not uncommon for the reviewers to take time away) 2) there are no other caches before yours (someone may submit a series that takes time, or there is great weather and everyone gets the idea to hide a cache and submit, or there are multiple events around the same time causing a flood of submissions) 3)there are no issues and they are a straight publish

If you leave it to the last minute it may not get published in time and caught for the bookmark of the event.  We also know that the area is very saturated and it is not uncommon to run into proximity issues that need to be resolved.  It can be worse during events when people realize a open space and 2+ people submit caches in the same area, running into proximity issues of unpublished caches.

Not to mention that rushing to place a cache is not wise either as there is the tendance to make mistakes: poor coordinates, bad location, bad containers.  It is best to think it through.  The cache should last for more then the event, 3 months minimum.

At the same time reviewers try to be nice people, and accommodating. Just don't assume that if you are at the last minute you are fine and it will be published.

Guideline 6.1 http://support.groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=307#submit

Placing a large number of geocaches to be published on the same date requires advance planning. Submit all of the cache pages at least ten days in advance of the release date. Leave a Note to Reviewer on the cache pages requesting that the caches be published on the date specified. Reviewers will strive to accommodate reasonable requests.
Caches placed in connection with an event must be left in place after the event. See "Geocache Permanence" above.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 11:09:03 by hidnseek »

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

GreyingJay

« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2011, 12:18:45 »
The advice is to submit them sooner then later.

Yes, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you should wait until the last minute, just that it's possible :)

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2011, 14:38:03 »
The advice is to submit them sooner then later.

Yes, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you should wait until the last minute, just that it's possible :)

A cache can be submitted at anytime, I just wanted to make clear if you wait til last minute, you may not get it published in time as expected.  As well with GAG it is not about the number of caches published but the quality, less caches published also means greater odds of running into cachers on the trails. 

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."

The red-haired witch

« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2011, 15:11:29 »
Fair warning : during the 24 hours before GAG16, Cache-witch will be caching, expect for a few hours spent sleeping  ;)

So if you're planning a GAG16 cache on the Quebec side, it's not too late to submit it, but please hurry if you want it published before the event.  Looks like good cache hiding weather this weekend  ;D

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2011, 18:39:45 »
Fair warning : during the 24 hours before GAG16, Cache-witch will be caching, expect for a few hours spent sleeping  ;)

So if you're planning a GAG16 cache on the Quebec side, it's not too late to submit it, but please hurry if you want it published before the event.  Looks like good cache hiding weather this weekend  ;D

Don't forget your route planning, puzzle solving and work/life  ;)

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2011, 19:07:43 »
If you have listed your cache but not heard from a reviewer PLEASE make sure your cache has been enabled (you can do so by the log your visit page)  
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 13:14:16 by hidnseek »

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2011, 14:38:51 »
Today was the first day I was able to get out to scope out cache locations. I was able to find a couple, and have submitted them. I am throwing myself on the kindness, mercy and generosity of our lovely and talented reviewers. (was that laying it on a bit too thick? ;) )

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2011, 18:36:35 »
Wow! Impressive! Both approved at 5:10 PM. Apparently being nauseatingly sycophantic has its benefits. ;)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2011, 20:57:02 »
What a suck up!

I'll be sure to find them though to show there's no hard feelings.....  ::)

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça