Author Topic: Garmin GPSMAP 78s Case / Screen Protector  (Read 1495 times)

goobiegoo

Garmin GPSMAP 78s Case / Screen Protector
« on: July 13, 2011, 11:50:58 »
I'm not sure if there's any other local cachers that use the 78s but I've been having a hard time finding a suitable case for it. I've seen a lot of great cases for the 60 series but nothing really appropriate for the 78s when out in the bush.

Any suggestions ???

qtman

Re: Garmin GPSMAP 78s Case / Screen Protector
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 12:54:53 »
I'm using a GPSMAP 76scx for many years and have not found  any case for it.
How do you like your 78, is it as good as they claim it is.

Bob

goobiegoo

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 16:01:17 »
Hi Bob!

Compared to the 60CS (note: no 'x') the difference has been night and day!

We love canoe/kayak caching so to have a GPSr that floats and is waterproof is great! I love the 3-axis compass and the accuracy of the device! Even under dense bush, I can usually still get 3-6m accuracy. The 78s also allows for paperless caching that includes full description, hint, previous logs etc.. Combine that with GSAK (garmin export) and you can throw attributes and a bunch of other great features onto the GPSr!

The only drawback has been the occasional 'freezing'.... although I hear that this problem has been inherited by the Oregon series.

I recently found out that the 78 and the 62 have the same sized screen so I'll probably end up ordering the Zagg screen protector as a minimum (http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/garmin-gps-map-62st-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php) but I would really prefer an actual case.

I won't be able to attend this week's workshop but should be at the next Meet & Eat if anyone wants to play around with the GPSr :)

Cheers,
Tony

qtman

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 16:13:18 »
Maybe it's time for an upgrade.
Really starting to be reluctant to use my Blackberry in woods and swamps.
When hands are damp hard to juggle two units, once I dropped my BB to save GPS.

Bob

SigsPig

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 10:13:37 »
You want a real comparison, take goobiegoo out with you to redo that multi by 300winmag  ;D
As for the BB, leave it in the truck. It's always someone trying to drag you out of the field  ;)