Author Topic: Imagery on Oregons?  (Read 2343 times)

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
Imagery on Oregons?
« on: August 18, 2010, 17:16:40 »

Original topic started by Starkiller in March 2010

Starkiller
Since Oregons have the ability to upload custom maps, they also have the ability to have sections of Imagery added.
I know this is overkill most of the time for caching, but I find it helpful to have when caching through a forest to accurately tell where bodies of water/other obstacles might be, or predict where trails might be in relation to my position.
In your opinions, what's the best way to load Imagery (ex: google) into the Oregon/Colorado? Does anyone else do this?

missbug
I just loaded ibycus topo via imagery (i think) today.. .img files you mean? use mapsource and transfer selected images onto garmin gps (Transfer>send to gps). are we talking about the same thing?

Starkiller
No, not quite.
Imagery is another term for aerial photography.
Again, the point of this thread is to determine the most efficient means of loading this onto a GPS.
I followed some instructions and comments on this Garmin forum: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=2646&page=2
I'm going to post some samples from my GPS:

narcissa
Ooh, pretty! Thank you for sharing this.

Inkyfiller
Loved the SNCITO shot. By the track log it looks like Tim was finding "all of the false" containers from Portera's cache. Inky

missbug
oooh sexy. thanks for sharing!

Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide
Garmin BirdsEye Imagery; - Free Samples
If you run the latest version of Garmin's Basecamp (3.01) you can download free samples of Birdseye Imagery.
You need to have a compatible gps plugged into your computer while you download, but it looks pretty awesome.
I'm in the process of downloading the sample now; it's 188 square kilometers, and about 3130 images!

Zartimus
Oh you people with State Named GPSr's. You're going to make me buy something you are...
Cool

DCMG
I'm going to post some samples from my GPS:
What imagery source are these from? I was waiting for someone to post samples before I attempted this myself. I know that the availability of free Imagery is much better in the US than here in Canada, but the close up shots certainly look more than useful.
How much space did all of these use up in your Oregon?

DCMG
What Imagery source are these from?
I hate to reply to my own post, but ...
I found a groundspeak thread

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=243704

were Mobile Atlas Creator (link in first post of the thread) was mentioned. As well a quick "how to" is in the second post of the thread. It has a variety of Imagery sources that it is capable of using.
This tool, although not Birdseye, is an extremely easy way to create Garmin custom maps. Custom maps are limited in terms of number you can load onto your Oregon at once (100 maps max), so you want to pick your area and zoom level to get the most data possible. You may not be able to have all of eastern Ontario loaded at max zoom, but it is so quick to do, you can easily get a high quality zoom level for your afternoon's caching outing in just a couple of minutes once you get the hang of it.
Sweet ...

Starkiller
DCMG, that link you provided is exactly what I was looking for. That program is impressive.
I'm going to try to have relevant Imagery developed for SNCITO sites before the event.

DCMG
be careful ... the EUL for certain Imagery (like google) states that the Imagery is for personal use. If you start distributing said .kmz files to others, you might be crossing a line. YMMV and IANAL  Lips sealed

GeoAventuriers
I decided to give BirdsEye Imagery a try.  Haven't tried it out in the field, but looks pretty good...not perfect, but good. Wink  The downloads from the Garmin server are painfully slow.... Cry The Basecamp program is also slow and seems to "hang" everytime I initiate an Imagery download.  It kicks in after awhile and the download goes off without a hitch....but slooooooowwwwwww! Angry Angry  That's on Windows XP.  Maybe I'll try running it with Vista and see which is better.  Once on the Oregon, the Imagery is turned on and off the same way you enable/disable maps.
Here are a few pics....at the highest detail level.

Resolution isn't that bad and I guess it can come in handy on some caches.

The_BOD
Nice,  I just did En-Route this lunchtime.  What a coinkidink   Grin

Starkiller
If you are attending the SNCITO tomorrow and have an oregon/colorado, be sure to load up the prepared Imagery for the CITO sites and paddle route!
See GC23WRF for link

Pokaroo
So I've been playing with Mobile Atlas Creator (which is free) and I must say I am liking what I am seeing. I have played with it for an hour or so and I have created some nice Birdseye Maps which look fairly decent on the Oregon. I like it much better that the Garmin version.
What will they think of next   :o

Keops2008
So I've been playing with Mobile Atlas Creator (which is free) and I must say I am liking what I am seeing. I have played with it for an hour or so and I have created some nice Birdseye Maps which look fairly decent on the Oregon. I like it much better that the Garmin version.
What will they think of next   :o
It is pretty cool and easy to use for sure, I downloaded it and had a quick try to get some satellite Imagery around my dad's house... took a few minutes and bingo!
I'm leaving for Singapore, Taiwan and Tokyo in a couple of days, I loaded some free maps and a few caches around my hotels... now I'll drop some satellite imagery, could be useful.

missbug

Re: Imagery on Oregons?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 00:13:38 »
thank you!!  :D

Starkiller

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 07:40:42 »
I'm working with Swimmrguy to produce another high quality tutorial on this subject :)

dcmg

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 09:03:21 »
A cacher in NB has created a video tutorial for Mobile Atlas Creator on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4exhu4EThE.

--DCMG

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 11:57:04 »
Sweet!  Thanks DCMG.  I look forward to playing with this tool and my new 62.