Author Topic: Valpin's CCC Cacher Stats page - time to let it go?  (Read 13174 times)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Valpin's CCC Cacher Stats page - time to let it go?
« on: July 28, 2011, 15:13:30 »
You've probably looked at the area's Cacher Statistics/ Leaderboard at least once!

We've linked to the page, http://www.valpin.com/CCC/Found.html, created by Valpin and hosted on his server both on the 'old' forum and on this one too.  Lately though it seems that this page has been abandoned....

Newbies report having difficulty getting on the page, stats are often several days stale (Dernière mise à jour : 07/22/2011 as I write this), and there's people on the list I've never heard of!

And I've always thought it odd that a page titled "Canada's Captial Cachers Statistics" featured a photo of downtown Gatineau! I've seen several photos of Parliment Hill taken from the Gatineau side that are more instantly recognizable as "Canada's Capital"...

Now that Valpin seems to have moved on perhaps it's time to let this page go as well. I propose that we sever the link with the wonky  Valpin "Canada's Captial Cachers Statistics" page.

Do we want a new version? I've been looking at people on http://www.cacherstats.com/LocationIndex.html for years. Though not as "local" as Valpin's page, it is up to date and you're on it unless you request to be redacted.

Any thoughts?

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

qtman

Re: Valpin's CCC Cacher Stats page - time to let it go?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 15:43:31 »
Blue,
If Valpin is no longer supporting his Stat's page, maybe it is time to move on.

Bob

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 18:00:04 »
It is useful to see if someone has crossed a landmark number, that is the part I look at occasionally.  It would be nice if this part could be reproduced in some fashion.  Other than that it's not about the numbers in the sense of where you rank against others in the CCC.  I'd say cut it loose with thanks to Valpin for the presumably years of making it available.

bbrimacombe

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 18:39:44 »
Just like CocaColaCacher, I also enjoy seeing the milestones.  Another thing that is lost if we start using the stats on this page http://www.cacherstats.com/LocationIndex.html is that the Gatineau cachers will be on a separate list from the Ottawa cachers.  I also like seeing the ranking of the local cachers in terms of the number of hides.  I agree that if Valpin's stats aren't being maintained then we should probably move away from linking to them but maybe there is a third option other than cacherstats?

royfran

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 21:15:00 »
I kinda liked that page, even if I never managed to get picked up by his robot.  Is anyone familiar with the software he's using or the server it's hosted on?  Does any one here have the expertise to take ownership of the robot and get it working again?  Is Valpin available for a "knowledge transfer" session?

It'd be a shame to give up without trying anything.

Tegiro

• Jr. Cacher
    • Descendants of Bertrand Chesnay
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 23:12:34 »
I kinda like our stats page. It seems to reflect our own community as a group. Too bad if it has to go!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 05:38:50 by Tegiro »

missbug

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 07:01:23 »
i look at the CCC stats page daily and am disappointed when it hasn't updated. i hope that someone can come along and create a new one! the top 100 link from lib doesn't do it for me  ::)

cavecats

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 07:08:50 »
I too like the "local" STATS page.  I still glance at it daily to see who's been busy logging/caching. 

A couple of years back when I was playing/watching the numbers game, I anticipated the daily updates.

JoMari

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 09:09:39 »
I too think the local stat page is a nice idea even though we still haven't made it on there for some reason. Had a look at the Cacherstats page that Bluelamb mentions and found out that according that page we are located in Florida??? Not even on the local page for that one either. So if we at least had a locally run page that was updated, it would be much easier to see what the local cachers are up to. I'm sure someone around here would have the smarts to make one or offer to take over the existing one and the community could look after it.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 09:20:44 »
Well we, the CCC, do have a 'beta' Stats page (courtesy of Kirok, uber web master) which is being worked on......

Anyone on this forum gets placed on the list unless they ask to be left out. No automatic listing after finding Cache ABC or Cache DEF.

Would that be OK with everyone? People not members of this forum would have to ask to be added to the list.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

cavecats

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 09:43:54 »
Well we, the CCC, do have a 'beta' Stats page (courtesy of Kirok, uber web master) which is being worked on......

Anyone on this forum gets placed on the list unless they ask to be left out. No automatic listing after finding Cache ABC or Cache DEF.

Would that be OK with everyone? People not members of this forum would have to ask to be added to the list.

Blue -

PERFECT!!!

Makes total sense that only those that cruise this forum be on the STATS list.  If we want to see what other "folks" are doing in stats, we can use the general stats site.

CCC rocks!!!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:46:14 by cavecats »

Green Frog

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 09:52:48 »
Yes, I like the idea of implementing Kirok's stats page.  I have long enjoyed looking at the daily stats.

And it would be nice if new members could be added automatically, as proposed.

(I think the cacherstats site only gets updated once a week;  also, it seems kind of "dilute" because it covers all of Ontario, so that there are lots of names we don't know.  Hence a home-grown site is a lot more fun!)

-----

I do thank Valpin who kept his version going for numerous years, and was a very dedicated geocaching participant, also having a significant role in setting up the OMAX and other Outaouais activities, and placing a huge number of caches.

Frog

lostinthegarden

• Jr. Cacher
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 13:16:57 »
The Ontario cacherstats pages are borrrring!  We want to see "local" coverage (including the Quebec side, of course) that highlights milestones and gives an indication of how active folks have been in the last while, etc.

Kirok has done a great job with the Binthair Challenge site, and since he's willing to do a local stats page, we say: go for it!

scotian

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 14:34:48 »
if Kirok's willing to do it that's a great idea! even though I'm based in Petawawa a huge chunk of my finds are in the Ottawa area and I enjoy checking out the local cacher stats.

elyob

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 15:08:47 »
I too vote for the forum-members' stats page.