Author Topic: BETA GSAK8  (Read 8699 times)

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
BETA GSAK8
« on: August 10, 2011, 19:02:15 »
http://gsak.net/board/index.php?s=1a957219e49e379e680738a0679594df&showforum=36

Version 8 is out in BETA when it is fully out it will be a pay upgrade he mentions.

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
Re: BETA GSAK8
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 21:40:44 »
IMHO GSAK is worth whatever Clyde wants to charge, although V7 works fine for what I need at the moment. That may change once I see what V8 can do...
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

SigsPig

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 09:26:56 »
Any word on what the upgrade is suppose to bring?

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 09:35:35 »
I installed it yesterday, and have been using it since. The big change is that it uses the new Geocaching API that lets GSAK call geocaching.com directly for cache descriptions and logs etc. I think it also lets you log directly from GSAK, but I haven't tried it extensively yet. One thing I did yesterday was collect all the user logs for all my caches without having to run a macro once for each of my 82 caches. That is a big time saver for me. It also can go and download PQ files without making you go and download them separately. These are all things that will makes it faster to use GSAK. I hadn't used the dual pane view too much with V7, but I started with V8, and I am impressed with how it uses space, and the way it looks.

The Geocaching.com API is really changing the way applications work. The new version of CacheSense for Blackberry uses it as well, and ithe API makes the program MUCH easier to use as well.

SigsPig

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 10:15:17 »
So how much did the upgrade cost you Ron? Don't know if it's worth it for me; don't have any of the fancy toys  :'(

portera

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 10:22:34 »
So far, it has cost me nothing. He says that when it gets closer to final production release, the prices(s) will be announced. I am hoping that I can get it bit of a discount, as I only paid for 7.7 back in early spring. Then again, I use it so much, that I'd probably pay the full price again if that's what is required.

3-Bearss

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 18:34:59 »
 :) We have paid for Version 6 and Version 7. Other software companies sell new full version upgrades and this has been an excellent product which is always being improved ... I will pay for the upgrade and thank Clyde for his work!  ;D

SigsPig

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 12:05:19 »
Ron: have you noticed any bugs yet? Still don't know if it's worth it for me but the direct connect to GC.Com seems sweet enough

portera

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 13:34:24 »
I have not seen any though I have not really been putting it through any gruelling tests. I did do something quite cool today, and that was to verify the status of all caches in my Ottawa area databases (Approx 4000 caches). It found all the archived caches, and disabled ones, and set them as such without any intervention from me. Very slick!

dcmg

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 15:59:39 »
A warning on the GC.com direct connect ...

GC.com has put a limit on the number of caches you can query in an hour and in a day. They have been monitoring the number of queries since GSAK8 has come out and the number of testdrives of the API has been, according to Clyde, significantly higher than expected. Yes, GC.com can see if the API calls are coming from what program, and they have set up the API to impose limits (hourly and daily) based upon the application, so if GSAK8 testdrivers testdrive the API too much, GC.com may lower the hourly/daily limits downwards.

So, please, on behalf of a hopefully long term user of GSAK8 and the API, don't needlessly use the API just because it is there. There are other ways to reduce the scope of the number of caches you need to query/status check on (use the last time a PQ saw a cache to filter your list down for instance), rather than blasting through your entire db. And for certain, the API isn't meant to replace PQs (the API has actually made GSAK8 and PQs work more seamlessly as you don't need to manually download them anymore or retrieve them from an email client).

--DCMG

graciious

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 04:24:52 »
I would have paid for it anyway, but the download PQ feature is just beautiful.  I doubt I will play with it enough to make any problems show up in the beta, but i'll do my best.

SigsPig

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 10:38:08 »
Ok, I went to the GSAK homepage last night & didn't see any link to the beta. So where the heck is it?  >:(

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 12:11:51 »
If you go to the first link in this thread you will see the forum at GSAK with a link to the GSAK 8

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

SigsPig

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 12:58:56 »
Thanks Alison. I thought perhaps I needed new reading glasses  :P

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 12:59:13 »
Or go to;

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?s=47bfadbc3a15d6dfc9a447517ffacb3c&showtopic=19095

Read Clyde's posting and you'll see the link at the end where it says

Download Here <---- see that?  ;D
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss