Author Topic: BETA GSAK8  (Read 8435 times)

SigsPig

• Full Time Cacher
Re: BETA GSAK8
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 15:18:56 »
Or go to;

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?s=47bfadbc3a15d6dfc9a447517ffacb3c&showtopic=19095

Read Clyde's posting and you'll see the link at the end where it says

Download Here <---- see that?  ;D

NO sarcasm detected here, no sir. Just honest to goodness helpfulness. Thanks again for the link  ;)  :P

3-Bearss

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 21:44:46 »
I have been using GSAK8 beta for a couple weeks now without issue. The API download is great, I do a PQ or 5 as normal, import into gsak, Sort out all cache with a current updated date then API verify what is left. This cleans your data base up nicely and doesn't need to be done daily.

Don't forget to tweak GSAK8 macros and setting to what you had for GSAK 7.

SigsPig

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 07:44:05 »
I've d/l'ed it but haven't installed it yet. Guess it's now or never. Thanks for the update Mark

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 11:19:04 »
I've semi-committed to GSAK8.  I have both 7 & 8 installed but lately I've only been using v8.  I like that it gets my PQ's directly from GC.com rather than doing the e-mail interface, I've checked the status of my ~4000 cache DB and it updated the cache status nicely (I was having a problem with the occasional cache still showing as active when it was archived) and the look and feel while still familiar seems just a little cleaner.  No problems migrating over my DB and all my macro's still work fine.

I'll definately be staying with GSAK 8 and will be willing to pay a reasonable upgrade cost.  It's a really good program, I don't think I could manage without it.

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 12:28:12 »
Me too. So far the only thing I don't like is the red background on the toolbar. I hope that's temporary.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 18:44:38 »
Me too. So far the only thing I don't like is the red background on the toolbar. I hope that's temporary.

You can change that!  Just right-click on it, and select "Change tool bar color".

If you're a creature of habbit and want it to look the same as before, you'll need to add the custom colour:  R 236 G 233 B 216

« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 18:59:44 by kirok »

dcmg

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 21:41:23 »

Clyde mentioned that the red was a reminder for the users that it was the beta version. It is temporary, but as Kirok has stated, you can change this if you don't want to wait.

--DCMG

portera

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 05:41:03 »
Clyde mentioned that the red was a reminder for the users that it was the beta version. It is temporary, but as Kirok has stated, you can change this if you don't want to wait.

I figured that it was red for that reason. Now thanks to the advice I received, mine is a stylish slate blue :)

SigsPig

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2011, 10:35:44 »
I finally took the plunge & it's pretty sweet. Haven't tried my macros but that's something for another day

missbug

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2011, 08:03:01 »
Version 8 is officially available today and it's asking me for a $15.00 upgrade fee... I haven't even tried it yet! I think I will do that, and then decide to pay to rid the nagging...

just saw this in the forums (old post):
If purchased V7 3-9 months before the price increase - $10 for the upgrade
If purchased V7 9-24 months before the price increase - $15 for the upgrade
If purchased V7 over 24 months before the price increase - $20 for the upgrade
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 08:09:15 by missbug »

missbug

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2011, 10:31:53 »
how do i refresh cache data successfully? i keep getting errors for the API thing whether i do one cache or 'all in filter'...

snoozejade

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2011, 22:21:07 »
how do i refresh cache data successfully? i keep getting errors for the API thing whether i do one cache or 'all in filter'...

I just installed version 8 but I selected a different install folder than version 7.  After the install, I imported my databases from version 7. 

To refresh the caches, all I did is click on "Geocaching.com access" button at the top and selected "Refresh cache data" and everything went fine.

I paid the $5 to upgrade my license and I love the new version.  So many new features...

missbug

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2011, 08:03:24 »
this is the error i get when trying to 'refresh cache data':

missbug

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2011, 09:09:09 »
i'd just like to back up for a second and ask if someone could please tell me what API even is? seems like common knowledge on the web but i can't even find what that means. thanks  :)

portera

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2011, 09:28:17 »
It stands for Application Programming Interface. It is a way for one program to expose some of it's functionality to another program so that they can interact. Groundspeak has created an API that lets other programs like GSAK call it and deal directly with them through their API to do things like check status, get pocket queries etc.