Author Topic: Travel Bug and Geocoin Resurrection & Release  (Read 1242 times)

PA

Travel Bug and Geocoin Resurrection & Release
« on: August 14, 2011, 19:08:34 »

Here is an interesting idea that I saw on a maritime forum.

Well, 3 weeks from right now I'll be on my return journey to Ukraine for the fall.  But before I go, I plan to have an event in Bridgewater, and I decided to try out a new idea I had for a theme.

In the past, I've done several several geocoin and trackable releases to get more travellers out in caches.  A bunch were my own that I released, and last year I started making my own trackable tags (http://islandbuttons.com/trackables.html).  This has opened up new opportunities.

This summer when I came home, I decided to resurrect a bunch of my geocoins, TBs, and tags that had gone MIA by making tags with the tracking numbers and re-releasing them.  In some cases I just used a picture of the original coin (e.g. http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=TBX4EM and http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=TB1C913) but in others I put the tracking number on one of my GC approved designs (e.g. http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=TB1PD9X and http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=TB1PDC5).  I know lots of other people on here have trackables that have gone MIA too, and from a previous thread, I know at least some people would like a way to do something with their tracking number and get it moving again.  This all combined to give me an idea of how to have a trackables release event with a new twist.

The idea is this.  I'll be setting up a page on Island Buttons with several different tag designs that GC has approved for trackables.  If you have a geocoin or Travel Bug that has gone MIA and you would like to see it moving again, you can go to the page, select a design you like, and submit an "order" for it with the tracking number from your missing trackable.  I'll then make a tag with the design and your tracking number which will be released at the event.

These are the rules:
- You have to own any tracking numbers you submit; no submitting numbers for a geocoin/TB that belongs to someone else.
- The original has to have been missing for over a year, and be known to be lost (e.g. if it's simply stuck in a cache somewhere, or it was picked up and it's sitting in someone's inventory who hasn't released it, it's not eligible).
- A limit of 20 trackables will be resurrected for the event.
- There is no cost to have a tag with your number included in the release, but there is a limit of 2 submitted numbers per cacher to begin.  If after a few days the limit of 20 trackables total hasn't yet been reached, people can submit more numbers for resurrection.
- Numbers will be taken on a first come first serve basis.  Once the limit of 20 is reached, no more will be accepted.
- You do not have to attend the event to submit geocoins/TBs for inclusion.
- While it is not a rule, I would suggest you post a note or picture or something on the geocoin/TB page to indicate that the original went MIA, and what is travelling now is a copy, so people don't go expecting to find a geocoin and are disappointed when they find the replacement tag.

If this idea pans out and proves popular, it will become a regular event that I'll host while I'm home.

If you have any thoughts or feedback, post it here.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
Re: Travel Bug and Geocoin Resurrection & Release
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 19:36:24 »
I expect that a lot of cachers do not realize that they OWN the TB tracking number that comes on their tag or geocoin, and can simply affix that number to anything else if the original goes missing.

I lost a TB a while ago, and put it in a TB graveyard. Then I resurrected it, got a decal made, and now it's my truck.

Remember to keep a file of all your TB and geocoin tracking numbers, just in case.

Also, be careful out there. There are several someones out there who will ask you to adopt your missing or stolen geocaoin/TB to them. They want your tracking number so they can then do exactly this...
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

graciious

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 20:19:25 »
I like the pins...  I don't have any eligible TB's all my missing coins recently showed up.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 20:56:12 »
At Geowoodstock this year we discovered the folks from www.gxproxy.com, who made and GAVE a proxy (copy) geocoin to everyone who bought the GeoWoodstock9 coin.

They do custom work too.

If someone in Canada is thinking of doing something similar please keep us posted.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss