Author Topic: new game feature: challenges  (Read 6297 times)

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

Juicepig

Re: new game feature: challenges
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 07:40:26 »
will Challenge caches still be accepted by non premium members, or will Challenge caches change all that?  Will Challenge caches be double listed in the guidelines as both challenge caches, and challenge caches, or will Challenge caches take precedence and supercede challenge caches until they can integrate challenge caches into challenge caches?

I'm pretty sure there are more fitting words in the dictionary.. Think this will open quite a can of worms. 

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 09:21:08 »
I am prepared to be disappointed, so by the same token, I may be pleasantly surprised.  ;)

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 11:47:57 »
According to the podcast interview:

1) Challenge caches will initially only be available to premium members.  Not sure if they meant the creation of them, or both creation and logging
2) They will be separate icons which will not count towards your geocaching find total.  Their count will be integrated into your profile though, much like benchmarks.
3) You will be limited to creating one challenge cache every 24 hours. 
4)  There are 2 types (so far): Action challenges = perform a specific task in a specific place, and photo challenges = take a picture of yourself in a specific place.  Essentially they seem to have taken the 2 aspects of virtual caches and broken them up.
5)  There will be a category called "world challenges", but for now only Groundspeak can create those.

There was more, but I had a hard time listening to the podcacher stroke Jeremy's ego.  There was no constructive criticism in the interview, only lips firmly attached to buttocks.

portera

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 11:57:39 »
only lips firmly attached to buttocks.

Icky!  :P

I guess the one good thing that can be said for this is that Waymarking type of "hides" can be more integrated with caching. So long as Pocket Queries can be set to load these as well, I think that's a good thing.

I have done a teeny bit of waymarking, and created a couple, but am really wondering what the point is? I created a couple of waymarks on HWY 11 in Northern Ontario, a route that hundreds (maybe thousands) of people take every day, and so far not one person has logged them. Why? because there's no decent way to load them onto your GPS, and you can't event look at a map of an area and see the waymarks.

So, if these new challenge caches can be loaded along with regular caches, then I will be creating my waymarks as challenge caches. If not, then again, what's the point?

portera

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 14:53:01 »
From what I've seen so far, challenges are quite inane. I hope that once the novelty wears off they will not be so silly. Somehow, I doubt it.  :(

dcmg

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 16:45:50 »
The ones I've seen so far are locationless: take a picture of an owl, perform mtc on a cache. I think that what GC had in mind, and the descriptions support that, is the action or picture should be at a specific location. The 'Worldwide' Challenges are the locationless ones and those for the moment are reserved for GC to create (I thought). A proper owl picture one would be take a picture of an owl at the Wild Bird Centre on Moodie.

Is there no review of these before they are published?

--DCMG

Redpoll

• Full Time Cacher
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 21:29:58 »
Had a look for some of the local challenges and quickly completed the owl picture challenge by submitting an image of a Long Eared Owl I came across while working on a Binthair.  While it now shows on my challenges completed stats, it looks as though it has already been archived!
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

valspad

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 21:57:28 »
I was reading the FAQ's about the challenges and I think maybe the flag feature has been misunderstood.  I thought before reading the rules that flagging a challenge was a good thing, but now I see that a flag tells Groundspeak that you think the challenge is inappropriate, which after receiving multiple flags will cause the challenge to be automatically deleted.

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 10:50:24 »
I will try to help clarify a few things as best as I can:

flag feature - use to report a challenge that has a issue if you click and hover you have 4 options to choose from on the challenge part and 3 on a log

those archived - most likely due to the fact they were of the locationless, do any where world wide type which at this time only Groundspeak can publish.  If you have an idea to submit post here http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/130071-worldwide-challenge-idea

right now you can submit a location specific idea
Searching Ottawa area I see 3:
Ghost in the Mill
King Mountain Clamber
Remic Rapids Sculptures

- they all appear to be fine in that they are go to this location and take a photo or do a action, so if you are interested start wit those 3 locally

(the owl one I believe was archived as it was not location based but do anywhere)

worldwide  I see 4:
Kiss a Frog
Take a Hike
Show Us Your Landmarks
10,000 Fewer Pieces of Litter

- These you can do ANYWHERE so again go out and enjoy them

yes I would say the release of them may not have gone as smooth as some would hope for but I think that in a month we can better judge how they will do. 

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."

imaskeeterfeeder

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 10:51:22 »
That was me that submitted the owl picture challenge and in hindsight i see that it was not appropriate for challenges that require a specific location. 

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 16:29:37 »
quote from Jeremy in the forums

After release we could see a lot of confusion around what is a valid challenge, so we'll be addressing this early in the activity and encouraging the community to help us guide the activity in a place that fits in the realm of geocaching, mirroring virtuals.

For clarity, we'll be introducing the idea of "Challenge Worthy" to help guide people in creating new challenges and reporting on them when they don't fit the definition. We'll also be readdressing Worldwide challenges to reflect these 4 pillars of challenges, so we'll be archiving the "kiss a frog" challenge from the site.

What is Challenge-worthy?

Location-specific

The location of a challenge should be directly related to the action. "Take a picture of yourself with the Eiffel Tower" is location-specific, while "Take pictures of the night sky in Seattle" or "Find this/a geocache" are not. The goal of Challenges, and Geocaching, is to explore the world around you.

There should only be one location where you can complete the challenge. Worldwide Challenges are only issued by Groundspeak, but you can recommend new Worldwide Challenges on our feedback site.

Straightforward

The Challenge should be easy to understand and not too complicated to do.

Appropriate

Keep Challenges clean so it reflects the family-friendliness of Geocaching.

Fun!

Like geocaching, Challenges should be a light and fun activity. Create Challenges that reflect this.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?s=e265eede301127e8c167caf57b495128&showtopic=280337&view=findpost&p=4815642

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 17:48:07 »

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 13:42:57 »
From what I've seen so far, challenges are quite inane. I hope that once the novelty wears off they will not be so silly. Somehow, I doubt it.  :(
Like Portera I've been somewhat unimpressed by the 'Geo-caching' Challenges.

I'd like to point out one particular 'Challenge' becuase it sort of sums up the recent evolution of 'location-based' outdoor games.

I completed the "Same Name Game" challenge http://coord.info/CX1FE5 a couple of weeks ago using the photos and essentially the same log that I first submitted in March 2004 for the Locationless Geocache "Old World Originals" http://coord.info/GCBCF9, which I also submitted as a waymark in the Old World Orignals Category "Sudbury, Suffolk, England, UK" WMC4PW. I'm dying to see where I can recycle that old photo and log next!

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça