Author Topic: Freakin' Garmin software!  (Read 9845 times)

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
Freakin' Garmin software!
« on: August 19, 2010, 20:12:22 »
I had a great day planned here in PEI that Garmin and their crapolla software pretty well frigged up.

I had loaded my GPX files onto my Colorado, including the waypoint files (big mistake) While still at the cottage, I tried to create a waypoint, and it told me that my waypoint memory was full. I connected and deleted the waypoint GPX files, and happily got dropped of at the start of my ride by my wife, and she continued on to the end of my ride. When I booted my GPS, it seemed to get stuck, which is not uncommon, so I re-booted, and realized that I had no geocaches on my GPS. I have had this happen before, and the only cure has been to erase ALL gpx files from the GPX directory (except the archives) and re-load them. This - of course - is impossible when your laptop is 25 km away, and you are on a bike.

I did manage to get some coords by using my Blackberry, but my day was not what I had expected as this took a LOT longer.

Has anyone else seen this "No Geocaches found" behaviour on the paperless Garmin units? This, to me, is a BIG problem! They need to give a way to reset this issue without needing a computer.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 06:49:57 by portera »

ottawabirdbrain

Re: Freakin' Garmin software!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 20:55:07 »
I always restart the oregon after changing the GPX files.  I shouldn't have to, but too often stuff seems to happen.  If I forget to do this test at home, then for sure bad things will happen.

I write enough XML parsing software to know that there is no excuse for this.

narcissa

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 23:32:53 »
Taoiseach and I get similar issues, especially with his Oregon (though it's happened with my Dakota and Oregon as well). After getting burned, we now check before leaving to make sure the geocaches show up.

We always delete all previous GPX files before loading new ones, and that seems to prevent it, but we still check.

TigrePlus

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 07:01:32 »
I had this issues with my Colorado and Oregon. I carry with me a spare memory card preloaded and tested. I refresh my gpx files almost every day.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 07:06:23 »
So far, I have not encountered this particular bug on the 62 series. Crossing fingers...

portera

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 07:14:58 »
I had this issues with my Colorado and Oregon. I carry with me a spare memory card preloaded and tested. I refresh my gpx files almost every day.

Where do you put the GPX files on an SD card? I was under the impression that the GPX files only went in the main memory.

Starkiller

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 08:32:17 »
This happened to me some time ago. I soon realized it wasn't a fluke. It's very frustrating!!

I agree with others- I delete all GPX files, then upload the new one. I restart the unit right away to make sure it works. When I'm going away on trips, sometimes I'll make backup copies of the GPX files, or have alternate PQ's ready to "turn on".

I think this discussion is going towards micro-sd cards. Apparently when the unit fails in this manner, you can just re-insert the card and it's good to go??

dcmg

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 09:02:08 »
Unfortunately it is a well known bug on the Oregons and similar GPSrs. The device on bootup parses what it thinks are any "new" GPX files and stores them into some internal memory/database. There is some probability it seems that on parsing any cache it can go off into la-la land that takes a battery pull to recover from. Unfortunately, the gpx file it was reading is no longer "new" when you next boot so that any caches in the file after the point it got stuck at are not loaded into the device.

Simply touching the file will make it appear "new" again. You don't have to redownload it. You can even just rename the file. But yes it takes a computer to do this. For me, using the GarminExport macro each week and sending 2000 caches in one file to the unit means that I have to rename the file almost every time. But it always succeeds the second time.

Pray that the 62/78 do not hav this bug.

--dcmg

SigsPig

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 13:09:32 »
As I mentioned to Ron on FB, I've been having a problem with disappearing maps. Haven't had waypoints disappear but the maps (topo & dedale trail systems) vanishing in the middle of the woods has been 'frustrating'  >:(
Forgot to mention; using the 60cx

missbug

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 14:29:08 »
hmm.. i have been using my oregon 550 since february and have never had this problem.

sorry, ron!   :-\  :-\

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 16:23:45 »
Simply touching the file will make it appear "new" again. You don't have to redownload it. You can even just rename the file. But yes it takes a computer to do this. For me, using the GarminExport macro each week and sending 2000 caches in one file to the unit means that I have to rename the file almost every time. But it always succeeds the second time.

Pray that the 62/78 do not hav this bug.

With my 62, I use the GarminExport macro to the same file name every time.  No issues with any hangs on boot-up, and any new caches that were placed in the file are always visible.  So far, the only hangs I have experienced are upon arriving at my auto-routed destination.

ottawabirdbrain

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 17:02:40 »
hmm.. i have been using my oregon 550 since february and have never had this problem.

sorry, ron!   :-\  :-\

DCMG's message explains why I didn't have any of the caches from the file you sent me last weekend.

ottawabirdbrain

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 17:04:24 »
Unfortunately, the gpx file it was reading is no longer "new" when you next boot so that any caches in the file after the point it got stuck at are not loaded into the device.

I did not realize this.  Thank you for the info.

dcmg

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 20:50:26 »
It is actually quite noticable from the garminexport macro after it hangs as you will only see a circle of caches around your home location that is not the normal diameter. The number of caches that do get output is random.

Missbug, if you are only downloading gpx files from gc.com then you probably won't have come across it yet.

As long as you know about it it is easy to avoid in the field as you get used to restarting your gpsr immediately after downloading the gpx file. If it needs a battery pull, then you go back in and rename the file and restart again.

--dcmg

portera

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 20:52:42 »
As long as you know about it it is easy to avoid in the field as you get used to restarting your gpsr immediately after downloading the gpx file. If it needs a battery pull, then you go back in and rename the file and restart again.

While this may be true, we should not have to go through this. I suggest we all deluge Garmin with requests/insistences that they fix this problem.

I plan to do so when I get home.