Author Topic: Freakin' Garmin software!  (Read 9731 times)

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
Re: Freakin' Garmin software!
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 22:30:25 »
I wouldn't stand such poor performance from a state-of-the-art POC...no matter how brightly it shines in other areas.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

3-Bearss

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 08:24:52 »
I have had the Oregon 300 for some time now ... Yes it can hang up on occassion.
I keep the GPX files on the 4 GB microSD card. By creating folders on the card that match those on the Oregon 300 internal memory ie. a "Garmin" and "Wherigo" folder with sub folders, you then send your GPX files to the card either through the unit or a card carrier.
I also "reset" or delete all waypoints on the Oregon 300 so I don't get Memory full.
Using this method, if the Oregon gets stuck or hangs up, remove the microSD card (safe with your GPX file) start the oregon, reset all waypoints, put card back in unit and restart.
This has restored my GPX file each time without fail.
I also keep all maps loaded on the microSD card.

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 09:07:50 »
I have had the Oregon 300 for some time now ... Yes it can hang up on occassion.
I keep the GPX files on the 4 GB microSD card. By creating folders on the card that match those on the Oregon 300 internal memory ie. a "Garmin" and "Wherigo" folder with sub folders, you then send your GPX files to the card either through the unit or a card carrier.
I also "reset" or delete all waypoints on the Oregon 300 so I don't get Memory full.
Using this method, if the Oregon gets stuck or hangs up, remove the microSD card (safe with your GPX file) start the oregon, reset all waypoints, put card back in unit and restart.
This has restored my GPX file each time without fail.
I also keep all maps loaded on the microSD card.

This is excellent advice! Thank you VERY much! I have always used my SD card for my maps, but was unaware I could put the GPX files on there too.

Starkiller

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 14:08:19 »
I think this discussion is going towards micro-sd cards. Apparently when the unit fails in this manner, you can just re-insert the card and it's good to go??

I was giving the same advice, although much more ambiguous.

To me, resolving this issue isn't quite worth purchasing the microsd card. The unit holds everything I need and more in the 1 gb internal memory!

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 17:54:58 »
To me, resolving this issue isn't quite worth purchasing the microsd card.

I think I paid about $10 for mine. I'd have paid $10 to have caches on my GPS the other day...

Pokaroo

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2010, 07:58:07 »
You might consider a backup as POI's. The unit can carry thousands of these with minimal memory being required. This is easily done using GSAK and macro GPX_by_Cache_Type.GSX. Granted it is not paperless but most of the information about a cache is there like cache description, Hints and logs. This file can also be filtered by Cache Type which can be handy. Keep it in internal memory and if the external card falters just take it out and your still ready to go. I think I have 10,000 POI's. A POI's you could put the caches for a whole province on it especiall PEI.

Starkiller

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 13:42:45 »
This might be opening another can of worms... but how do you change the zoom level that added POIs display at? Everything I add doesn't display until the 80m scale zoom level on my Oregon...

missbug

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 11:51:38 »
their new firmware update killed my 550.

G_Fours

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2010, 17:13:13 »
their new firmware update killed my 550.

Were you able to install the old version?

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2010, 22:16:42 »
New firmware 2.50 for the 62 is available today as well.  I find the unit much more responsive now, and a few new features were added.  

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4995
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 17:12:51 by kirok »

missbug

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 09:27:59 »
no, recovery and restoration did not work. it got to 82% validation and the cycles quit. the unit would not boot. they will send me a new one!

Pokaroo

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 10:00:21 »
Interesting. I am running the beta version of 3.74 and it is working just great. The beta version seems to include all the enhancements as the new version 3.8 so I guess I will hold off trying 3.8. Just in case :)

Link for the 3.74 Beta is http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4743 if you want to try it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 10:04:55 by Pokaroo »

missbug

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 10:47:01 »
i did try it and it still wouldnt boot. unit is gone. outta my hands now!

graciious

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2010, 11:32:59 »
New firmware 2.50 for the 62 is available today as well.  I find the unit much more responsive now, so and a few new features were added. 

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4995

I have bad luck when it comes to upgrading stuff.. I am going to give Kirok a few days with the new firmware before I try it.   

As a side note my 62 had 7 GPX files on it which was causing a bit of a problem for my GPS the other night. (It kept crashing during Missbugs 2000th Cache Event). As soon as I followed Missbugs advice and loaded my GPX file myself (and removed all the old GPX files) I had no problems with the unit.

Pokaroo

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2010, 11:54:42 »
outta my hands now!
Ahhh freedom at last [:)]